SURVEY: School discipline, too much or not enough?

Scott

SURVEY: School discipline, too much or not enough?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All rooms and halls should have a live stream hooked up to zoom or whatever.  This should then be sent to an app (or use the zoom ID) so all parents can monitor their children.

This is the most basic thing to do.  Anyone can do it in their own home.

I worked at one school and the camera's ''box'' was missing.  It was just a bunch of wires.  The camera were never on.  I saw Filipinos sticking paper into a kids mouth.  I saw one guy slapping a girl jokingly.  One Filipino decided she doesn't like Indians, so she made an up story that the kids weren't achieving.  At the same school I saw the teacher playing hide and seek.  She would let the kids hide and then walk out of the school for 20 minutes.  The kids were behind doors, locked in rooms, scaling large cupboards that could fall on them.

I can not stress enough how we need a live stream.

I record every lesson I teach now.  I sit the laptop on the table and film myself.  I don't point it at the kids because they will know it is recording.  I do it for my own safety.  Actually kids lie a lot as well.

The cameras protect teachers as well as children.

As far as bad behavior just remove the child and put them in another room with trained special needs staff.

I have seen one boy punch a girl in the face for no reason and laugh about it.  This is dangerous and the child has to be removed.  He is trying to see what happens if he hits people, and we have to say to him this is wrong.

Actually most kids will just fall on the floor and start hitting you.  So you can only really drag them out as safely as possible.

Edited by johnray
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Emdog said:

I'll let someone else start off, maybe with "I was beaten in school and it never did me any harm"

I don't think there is any thing wrong with a few Fatal beatings...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheRealRobin said:

If the question is whether unnecessary force is acceptable then the answer is obviously a no. But, if parents are not willing to accept that some form of physical discipline is necessary, then they could perhaps resign their jobs and attend class so that they can insure their little angels are not ruining the opportunity of the rest of the class to get an education.

Corporal punishment is never necessary to discipline a child, there are more effective forms of discipline than physical assault. That's why its banned in most western countries.

• Like 1

We don’t have any school age children they’ve all grown up. We have two nephews wife family that stay at our house most the time. 

IMO here in the village and only speaking of the nephews. There is a lack 

discipline in at home not physical discipline. More so help them get ready 

for life... clean room, don’t throw drinks and that out bedroom window etc, 

Their father works in Bangkok in @ 2 years he’s been here a couple nights

their Mother I think lives in Laos I think once in 4 years. They talk to Father every evening via video call. He sent they both smart phones not

expensive,,, basically a quasi babysitter. 

The ve broken the phone once each and their replaced the phones. A

that point they should have been taught the value of things and to take 

better care.

so I guess I should have said guidance not discipline...

The biggest abuse that happens at Thai schools is that they provide more disinformation and brainwashing than any real education. Unless that changes, they will continue to produce generation after generation of Thais who are poorly equipped for what's needed both at work and as citizens.

21 hours ago, Emdog said:

I'll let someone else start off, maybe with "I was beaten in school and it never did me any harm"

The answer to anyone who says that is, yes it did because you think violence against children is acceptable, especially in a learning environment

• Like 1

The problem here is that schools are in fact too lax in regards to discipline. -->No fail policy, when kids miss out on 20% attendance they don't get normal summer school where you actually learn ... they just come to school and linger around doing nothing, they can fight with each other without consequence, they can call their foreign teachers 'ai heea' and nothing happens...

The problem is an all or nothing attitude. When there eventually are consequences they are draconian and physical. I am against corporal punishment and I have been working in this system for almost 20 years. Whenever I start work in a school my first questions is whether there is a discipline policy. I ALWAYS get a dithery answer only to find out that after a week to a month that I have no support and that I am left to my own. 

The truth is for all of you that have never worked as a teacher here is that most schools DO NOT support their teachers and that the upper admin in their Ivory tower can't be bothered to do anything other than take their tea money and give an impression that they are high up on the totem poll. The very few schools I have worked with that were supportive of their teachers and had a discipline policy were very nice to work for. 

I usually give lunch time detention (kids have 15-20 minutes to eat and then must come to my class), or lines to deter bad behavior. Does this work? Generally not and funny enough is that I get harsh criticism from the Thai staff who actually whack the kids on their hands with rulers and believe it or not from foreign staff who generally actually do nothing except praise how different things are back home. 

It is a sad state of affairs the education system in Thailand and unfortunately also back home. When I was a kid I was bullied in class and the teachers never bothered helping. Nowadays there is awareness to the consequences of bullying and some measures have been put into place to prevent this. However, it falls on the teachers and admin to implement it and make sure it is followed.

Do I support corporal punishment? NO...

Do I somewhat understand why some teachers do it? YES

As long as the education system world wide does not start to respect its teachers, implement and enforce discipline policies that teach consequences to make our children responsible citizens we will never see our world become a peaceful place. Personally I blame admin in schools for the failure of the education system. As long as nothing is done by the people in power we will continue to see a society where people like the Red Bull heir can get away with murder, a society where falang people in Thailand and African Americans, Hispanics and Asians and indigenous people are treated as second tier and third tier members of society.

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

The problem here is that schools are in fact too lax in regards to discipline. -->No fail policy, when kids miss out on 20% attendance they don't get normal summer school where you actually learn ... they just come to school and linger around doing nothing, they can fight with each other without consequence, they can call their foreign teachers 'ai heea' and nothing happens...

The problem is an all or nothing attitude. When there eventually are consequences they are draconian and physical. I am against corporal punishment and I have been working in this system for almost 20 years. Whenever I start work in a school my first questions is whether there is a discipline policy. I ALWAYS get a dithery answer only to find out that after a week to a month that I have no support and that I am left to my own. 

The truth is for all of you that have never worked as a teacher here is that most schools DO NOT support their teachers and that the upper admin in their Ivory tower can't be bothered to do anything other than take their tea money and give an impression that they are high up on the totem poll. The very few schools I have worked with that were supportive of their teachers and had a discipline policy were very nice to work for. 

I usually give lunch time detention (kids have 15-20 minutes to eat and then must come to my class), or lines to deter bad behavior. Does this work? Generally not and funny enough is that I get harsh criticism from the Thai staff who actually whack the kids on their hands with rulers and believe it or not from foreign staff who generally actually do nothing except praise how different things are back home. 

It is a sad state of affairs the education system in Thailand and unfortunately also back home. When I was a kid I was bullied in class and the teachers never bothered helping. Nowadays there is awareness to the consequences of bullying and some measures have been put into place to prevent this. However, it falls on the teachers and admin to implement it and make sure it is followed.

Do I support corporal punishment? NO...

Do I somewhat understand why some teachers do it? YES

As long as the education system world wide does not start to respect its teachers, implement and enforce discipline policies that teach consequences to make our children responsible citizens we will never see our world become a peaceful place. Personally I blame admin in schools for the failure of the education system. As long as nothing is done by the people in power we will continue to see a society where people like the Red Bull heir can get away with murder, a society where falang people in Thailand and African Americans, Hispanics and Asians and indigenous people are treated as second tier and third tier members of society.

Bang on about the lack of discipline plans and students not learning consequences - it is usually run around the yard 5 times and then forget about it, there is never a chance to learn or develop good behaviors. 

On 10/4/2020 at 1:24 PM, worgeordie said:

When I was at school, corporal punishment was the norm,the number of times i had 6 of the best,

mostly through fighting in the school yard, it was either a thin bamboo cane they would try and hit

your fingertips...or the kinky teachers used to wack you across the @rse , and they used to say,

"This is going to hurt me more than you ".....but never once did i think i would take an AK47 (if

i could have gotten one) or even a knife, and kill all the teachers, because i suppose i realised I had done something wrong

and i would be punished for it.

What,s going on in Thai schools now, is wrong, these are just little kids,they dont know right from wrong,

it seems like the teachers are taking their shortcomings,personal and monetary problems out on their

little pupils,and it's the teachers that need punishing also school owners.

The World has really changed,most kids have little respect for anyone, lack of corporal punishment,

parental control,but the change is not good.

regards worgeordie

Think they should all be beaten severely until behaviour improves ????

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

The teachers.....definitely

regards Worgeordie

Sorry... above as below...

Start by taking care of admin and the good results will trickle down to the troops... Good teachers can become rogue and bad if they have no support from admin...

Do not misconstrue this comment as support for corporal punishment... violence begets violence... it has to stop somewhere and not only the teachers should be accountable... there will be a witch hunt of teachers and the admin will cower praying the storm blows over their heads and hoping their feathers are not ruffled...

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Sad 1