Thais pretending to be Filipino foreign language teachers is widespread, Thai media

rooster59

17 hours ago, baansgr said:

Although Asian...Thais and Filipinas are easily told apart. Mannerisms, skin tone, facial features and accents. No way could a Thai pass off as a Filipina.

I was in a burger place the other day where the server spoke English with an obvious Filipina accent. When I asked her where she came from she said I am real Thai and spoke it too. Maybe taught by a Filipino/a teacher.

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Want to find out someones true nationality/native tongue.

Offer them a cup of hot tea/coffee, stir it for them and put the hot spoon onthe back of their hand when they're not looking. 99.99% of the time the reaction will be native tongue.

You're liable to get a kick in the sack where i come from if you do that

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Want to find out someones true nationality/native tongue.

Offer them a cup of hot tea/coffee, stir it for them and put the hot spoon onthe back of their hand when they're not looking. 99.99% of the time the reaction will be native tongue.

I drink neither, next  plan?

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

After invading someones personal space and attempting to burn their hand do you think they should give you a cuddle and offer to buy a beer after work ?

It doesn't burn for a start. Working on construction sites it just became a kind of joke with a few of us. The worst response was on the lines of I'll catch you with it some day you ba----d and a couple of days later it would happen to you.

Then again I have obviously forgotten how many real expat hard men are now living in Thailand.

8 hours ago, Blumpie said:

A little odd???  

That's putting it mildly.  

I started a mathematics course online where the principal tutor was from India. In the end I had to give it up as I really couldn't understand the guy's accent! I'm a Brit and I spent 6 months in India a few years years ago so I am pretty familiar with Indian accents but some of them are really hard to follow. Apparently, Americans find the accent of the Indians who run the majority of telephone helplines these days, impossible to understand and I'm not very surprised.

18 hours ago, baansgr said:

Although Asian...Thais and Filipinas are easily told apart. Mannerisms, skin tone, facial features and accents. No way could a Thai pass off as a Filipina.

They can easily pass it off to a Thai parent who is unaware of Filipina "Mannerisms, skin tone, facial features and accents."

Not every farang has been to Angeles City either.

"This was so that an illusion could be maintained hoodwinking the students into believing they didn't understand Thai so the students would not resort to that language in class themselves."

Uh, no? It was so the kids wouldn't find out that the teacher was really Thai and tell their parents.

• Thanks 1

it's funny when immigration CALLS ahead of time and says, "we're going to your school."

then three "teachers" run away.   they take pictures of the one or two people with work permits, and leave.

there must be an easy way to check every teacher......

now, having people who can't speak English teach English....that's another problem entirely.   

it would be like us teaching Thai because we need the money.  we smile, pronounce everything wrong, smile, and hope nobody notices...

3 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

How proud you have be about your own nation, if you cheat to be Filipino!?

Salamat! Elo elo......

One woman had mo bilat...

It's just to make money.  Has nothing to do with actually wanting to be from the other country or feeling any shame.

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

So they base the article on a tweet from someone they never met... real investigative journalism

Kind of sounds like something a bitter Filipino might say to try and get more people into trouble since there has been somewhat of a backlash against them collectively.

"You should check every school for illegal teachers, and sometimes Filipino teachers aren't actually Filipino but Thai."

10 hours ago, Blumpie said:

A little odd???  

That's putting it mildly.  

Plus Thais look down on Indians. The Chinese beat the Indians in southeast Asia. Half of Thai culture comes from India (including the MOST SACRED Thai traditions), but 99% of Thais I've met look down on them. Funny people 

• Like 1