Hotel tips

toast1

We often leave a tip for the cleaners when leaving a hotel room.

But someone said that this gets taken by the person reception sends up to check your room, when you check out, to see if you've done anything bad in there.

Is this true?

• Haha 2

Who knows, case by case but I would have no doubt this does happen. Directly into the hand of the maid or with her watching tuck it into something on her cleaning cart, all in private.

Never give it to the lobby staff saying 'please pass this to the housekeeping person'. She/he will NEVER see it.

It's also true in some hotels (many counties) that room service staff are body searched before they can leave the premises. Therefore just give it to the room staff/ hide it on their trolley (with them watching), they will know how to get the money past the body search. 

• Like 2

I just leave a tip under the tea/coffee amenity tray every day, as said above, the cleaner of the day gets the tip.

The place I stay used to rotate the staff at the end of the month, so I always sought out the regular lady and gave her a few baht more as she moved.

I also tip a little extra "in hand" on my last day, don't want the bellboy who checks the room as I leave to snaffle anything I left.

Edited by The Fat Controller

I’ve left it under the pillow for years in Thailand. I’ve seen a staff member go into a room for another guests “ room check” and it’s a quick look around and a mini bar check only. I don’t see any reason to leave it elsewhere.  

14 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I leave it during the shift, just before she comes to do the room... 

How can you know just before they come to your room EVERY time? Seems like more waiting around for the maid than a holiday to me.  

• Haha 2

I've heard the wrong staff snuffling cleaner tips in larger hotels but it's less likely in smaller ones where the owner/manager is more hands on with daily routines, unless that owner is a scumbag of course.

My wife's place sees (saw?) the cleaners getting daily tips and end of stay tips. My wife is the one who usually scans the room at check out and often mentions if she saw BUT DID NOT TOUCH a decent tip for the cleaners.

At the end of the shift she sometimes teases them for how they got a good tip and then on a serious note always thanks them for impressing the guest.

We always leave Thb 40/50 per day. Tuck it under the duvet where it’s not seen by anyone not making the bed. These people work hard and they are not well paid. Nothing worse than having a disgruntled housekeeper. Worth every Baht. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

How can you know just before they come to your room EVERY time? Seems like more waiting around for the maid than a holiday to me.

I don't wait around for the maids.. actually when travelling alone, on a 2-3 day trip, I tell them not to bother to make up the room as I don't need sheets cleaned every day or a fresh couple of towels... they often love that even better than a tip... when I return or see them when going out, I usually ask for a delivery of water and give them a tip then... it is not difficult to find them... 

18 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

why should i tip people for just going their job ?!

people are weird !

Seriously , its an American thing. If you don't leave a service tip in America it's tantamount to not paying your bill.

In the rest of the world you leave a tip for exceptional service or just your lose change.

My American friend would leave a tip in a mall food court if he could,its just so ingrained.

Yes, it is an American thing, Europeans don't generally tip, certainly not in hotels.

Its interesting to see the replies, perhaps tips I've left in the room have been taken by the room checker. 

In future will give directly or at the beginning of a stay.

Personally I hate people coming into my room, so I'm actually a good guest for cleaners, they do no clean while I'm there. I boil water in a kettle, so no bottles. I'm sure they are happy to see a Do Not Disturb sign.

I give a tip to reception, if a regular hotel, but as the Bhat climbs the stratosphere, I'm afraid my tips generosity has been going down.

When it was high, I was a great tipper and, entirely coincidentally, very popular with staff.

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Mrs HP used to be a room cleaner @ a guesthouse in PaTong, she always leaves 20Baht when we leave a room/hotel.

So Mrs HP, says it OK to leave the tip when you check out, or leaves it when out of the room?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scoupeo said:

why should i tip people for just going their job ?!

people are weird !

does your toothbrush ever taste funny? room cleaners are probably some of the most underpaid and overworked people on the planet. they deserve the tips they get. and they will make all kinds of exotic things with the towels for your entertainment. on another note, the Philippines is the only country I have been to where my daily tip is quite often placed back on the made up bed. not every time but more often than not.

7 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Good to hear others are tipping.. I often wonder.  These chambermaids work for very little and often have older family members and children to care for... please be generous.. 

But that's the problem, people have been generous and now Thai's expect it!

I give the tip directly to the cleaners during the beginning of my stay. They remember you if you return another time. The cleaners actually are able to give you benefits and take good care of you. Better than the reception desk.