ATM machines

Joinaman

Hi 

Have shop in village. like  smaller 7_11

The nearest ATM machine is around 15 kilometer's away, so not too easy for the villager,, many who only have bikes

Any idea how to go about getting an ATM machine installed outside the shop ?

Is there any criteria for them fitting an ATM ? 

there is probably around 800 - 1,000 people in our village, with 2 other villages within a few minute ride, so should be of good use for the locals, as well as being good for our shop

If it's an actual 7-eleven or other national brand licensed "chain store" then typically they sell contracts for the right of 3rd parties to place their equipment on their property.

Otherwise, if you want an ATM then have someone talk to the major local banks.

Just remember that ATM usage is only 'free' (no charge) if you are a member of that bank, otherwise service charges apply for transactions. A bank would only want to place an ATM where it can be (1) Secure, (2) On a service route near other of their ATMs, (3) Consistently used so the ATM placement actually makes them money.  

Up here in the far north we finally got an ATM in front of our local Credit Union Cooperative. Otherwise it's a 8km drive into town where there are ATMs at the 4 banks, 7-Eleven, a gas station, and Tesco/Lotus. The local area was supposed to be developing and growing but that seems to have fallen flat and now the banks are leaving one by one.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

If it's an actual 7-eleven or other national brand licensed "chain store" then typically they sell contracts for the right of 3rd parties to place their equipment on their property.

Just remember that ATM usage is only 'free' (no charge) if you are a member of that bank, otherwise service charges apply for transactions. A bank would only want to place an ATM where it can be (1) Secure, (2) On a service route near other of their ATMs, (3) Consistently used so the ATM placement actually makes them money.  

Up here in the far north we finally got an ATM in front of our local Credit Union Cooperative. Otherwise it's a 8km drive into town where there are ATMs at the 4 banks, 7-Eleven, a gas station, and Tesco/Lotus. The local area was supposed to be developing and growing but that seems to have fallen flat and now the banks are leaving one by one.

Thanks RichCor

Seems a bit silly, like our nearest small town, to have at least 4 ATMs close together, yet non where the people actually live .

Not sure what the actual criteria on numbers use is, but i would assume a steady footfall form the 3 villages all within a few minutes away

Maybe an ATM from the Farmers Bank would be better for the villagers, it certainly gets very busy in town

Will try and get my lady to call in the bank and see what they say, nothing to lose but a bit of our time

Thanks again, much appreciated

You have a bigger chance serving fast as well earning on your own by playing for ATM yourself. You could simply let them transfer it into your account and hand them the cash. You could also combine that with in-store credit.

However as far I have learned, this kind of people in villages only withdraw once a month, as there isn't that much in the first place. They then do their big shopping and other stuff as well, so they need to head out anyway. 

For old people, they often only have a bank book, making it even more limited.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

There is a good article on one man's experience in  applying for an ATM in front of his shop at https://www.niwat.blog/ติดต่อขอ-atm-วางหน้าร้าน/

It is in Thai and Google does a fair job of translation. Although the article is about 10 years old, many of the points are still valid.   To find out what the banks require you might try calling a few banks and applying to more than one to get the best deal.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Not true. There might be a limit to the number of times per month you can withdraw from a different bank then yours for free, but so far I never reached that limit. A charge is applied if you're using an atm at a different province then the one your account is in (unless that was scrapped as well recently...)

It's not a different province, it's region. The fee is normally 10-15 baht for every withdrawal. Every bank has a list of fees on their website. 

40 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It's not a different province, it's region. The fee is normally 10-15 baht for every withdrawal. Every bank has a list of fees on their website. 

i just use any available ATM, often not of my own bank, but only ever get charged when i' m outside of my own province 

have never paid a fee in my own province

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caughtintheact said:

There is a good article on one man's experience in  applying for an ATM in front of his shop at https://www.niwat.blog/ติดต่อขอ-atm-วางหน้าร้าน/

It is in Thai and Google does a fair job of translation. Although the article is about 10 years old, many of the points are still valid.   To find out what the banks require you might try calling a few banks and applying to more than one to get the best deal.

thanks for this, very informative and helpful  will take my missus into town and talk to a few banks and see what they say, or want.

Could adapt internal quite easy if its better for a machine inside, but could easily extend the roofline if fitted outside

Farmers Bank would be good, due to the farmers and older folks getting their money each month, plus the annual payments, but as you say, got to try a few different ones

Just think it would make a big increase in footfall to our shop. Why have then travel 30k round trip and spend their money in the 7-11 when they can walk/cycle to us and then spend in our shop too .

Thanks again, this is very much appreciated by a poor old farang , lol

41 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

i just use any available ATM, often not of my own bank, but only ever get charged when i' m outside of my own province 

have never paid a fee in my own province

I am not sure about the regional boundaries, but I can tell you that in some places it's larger than the province. Mind you, I live in the Bangkok Metropolitan area, and most of my ATM transactions are in Pathum Thani province, but my primary bank is in Bangkok province (near the Central World Trade shopping center). I've never been charged ATM fees in Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani or Samut Prakan.

Was I charged in Pattaya??? Been too long since I've been there and don't remember. I was charged in Khon Kaen. ???? 

Kasikorn installed an ATM and passbook update machine near my village 10 plus years ago. It's up a Soi 300 m from the Highway (in front of an office building with probably max 300 employees). A security booth for the office is 25 m up from that. 7/11 with a SCB ATM are at the mouth of the Soi.  There are 5 villages (maybe 6 and they are more like small subdivisions) that are accessible only by this road (large Soi).  I think you have a good chance of getting an ATM near your store, but it would be good to get the village heads near you to support the request.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I am not sure about the regional boundaries, but I can tell you that in some places it's larger than the province. Mind you, I live in the Bangkok Metropolitan area, and most of my ATM transactions are in Pathum Thani province, but my primary bank is in Bangkok province (near the Central World Trade shopping center). I've never been charged ATM fees in Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani or Samut Prakan.

Was I charged in Pattaya??? Been too long since I've been there and don't remember. I was charged in Khon Kaen. ???? 

Kasikorn installed an ATM and passbook update machine near my village 10 plus years ago. It's up a Soi 300 m from the Highway (in front of an office building with probably max 300 employees). A security booth for the office is 25 m up from that. 7/11 with a SCB ATM are at the mouth of the Soi.  There are 5 villages (maybe 6 and they are more like small subdivisions) that are accessible only by this road (large Soi).  I think you have a good chance of getting an ATM near your store, but it would be good to get the village heads near you to support the request.

thanks for this

never thought of involving the heads, would give it more chances 

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

This is Fake News RichCor.

You can use other banks' ATMs to withdraw cash a certain times each month and there is no fee.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

I don't see how there could be any money in it for you ... only hassle ...

apparently they pay the property/landowner for having their machine on the premises, but the main reason is to get  people to call at the shop and spend money. Sit outside a 7-11 and watch people who use the ATM machines, see what they do when they receive the money, a large section will then go into 7-11 and spend part of that money. The only hassle would be the setting up and the maintenance and restocking of the machine, which is done by others. 

11 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You have a bigger chance serving fast as well earning on your own by playing for ATM yourself. You could simply let them transfer it into your account and hand them the cash. You could also combine that with in-store credit.

However as far I have learned, this kind of people in villages only withdraw once a month, as there isn't that much in the first place. They then do their big shopping and other stuff as well, so they need to head out anyway. 

For old people, they often only have a bank book, making it even more limited.

Thanks, something else to thin about and check

In store credit  ???????? NO !! no credit given , too many small shops go bust with giving credit that is never repaid

Am also looking into setting up the store to accept the welfare cards "Thong Fah" so got to see how this mix would work too

Thanks again, always grateful for any information from people more knowledgeable than me 

11 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Thanks, something else to thin about and check

In store credit  ???????? NO !! no credit given , too many small shops go bust with giving credit that is never repaid

Am also looking into setting up the store to accept the welfare cards "Thong Fah" so got to see how this mix would work too

Thanks again, always grateful for any information from people more knowledgeable than me 

-

Edited by scorecard

Have you wife use her account with Prompt Pay/QR code and have small board given by the bank to show customer the QR code near the cashier.

Most  Thai can  can use QR code with their phone and pay you.

They just scan your code.

I use it a lot  in small shops and restaurant.

When someone pay you, you  can see it on your wife  phone apps. 

Maybe use a separate account for the shops.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Farmers Bank would be good, due to the farmers and older folks getting their money each month, plus the annual payments

You might try talking to your customers to find out where they bank as they might feel most comfortable using an ATM of their bank. Many of them might use BAAC (Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives) or Krung Thai Bank. There is no guarantee that transaction fees will remain at today's levels either.  And if you haven't already, you might also want to prepare yourself for no cash transactions.

• Thanks 1