Lost Driving license

Benbkk26

Does anyone know how you get a new driving license ID card when you have lost yours?

I don't want to be going to the Department of motor then having to go to Changwattana, then here and there collecting document after document making it a 2 day affair. 

I have read on Thai Visa, but it was a 4 year old thread,  you need a police report and your passport, go to Motor department and thats it....easy.

An agency I use for some official things if feeling lazy said I need a proof of residence document from Changwattana, passport then go to Motor department. 

Would be greatful for some help.

Apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum but the motor forum seems to be only for car sales. 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think you may have to file a police report saying you lost it, but I'm not sure...

That is true, and the officer who helped me when I lost mine said it's best to say you lost it while riding on a baht bus.

1 minute ago, J Town said:

That is true, and the officer who helped me when I lost mine said it's best to say you lost it while riding on a baht bus.

OK great stuff, so a police report and then what? Passport, police report and then to the motor department or is they other documents I will need?

1 minute ago, Benbkk26 said:

OK great stuff, so a police report and then what? Passport, police report and then to the motor department or is they other documents I will need?

I recommend visiting the police department which is the initial step. It's been so long since I lost mine, the current rules could be different.

I lost the green book for my motorbike many years ago. I had to report it lost at a police station (the nearest one will do, I used the Dongtan Beach police box in Jomtien, and I think they charged me 20 or 40 Baht for the report. Then it was simply a matter of going to the DLT office, completing the right form (I took a Thai friend with me), and as long as they can find you on their computer system they'll produce a new one there and then. It cost more than the police report, but wasn't usurious, and after two hours I had my new green book and the world was set to rights again.

I'd guess the process for getting a new licence is much the same thing. As always take your passport and everything else with you, and a Thai speaker is a huge help. Good luck.

47 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You don't need a police report any more. I lost mine last year and went to the police station to report it but the cops there told me it's no longer required. Sure enough, I went to the DLT office and they didn't need one. All your details are on their system, so as long as you have passport, work permit etc. they just take a new photo and print out a new licence. This was Bangkok by the way, Phrakhanong police station and the DLT office at Bangchak.

Thank you very much for this. 

I just called Thong Lor Police station and they said I do need a report, so i'll do it anyway just in case. I'm pleased I don't need to go to Changwattana to get a residency document. I'm also pleased I don't have to go to the main DLT at MoChit.

I did my license just outside Pattaya, I'm assuming I can go to a BKK DLT, such as Bang Chak?

21 hours ago, Benbkk26 said:

I have read on Thai Visa, but it was a 4 year old thread,  you need a police report and your passport, go to Motor department and thats it....easy.

That's was it in my case, it's the procedure both for driver's license and lost SIM-card, if your for example drop/loose your phone somewhere – for example in a sewer drain...????  – and cannot get it back. With a 20-baht police report, ID, and a small fee for a new plastic-card (in may case under 200 baht), it was an easy process...????

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

That's was it in my case, it's the procedure both for driver's license and lost SIM-card, if your for example drop/loose your phone somewhere – for example in a sewer drain...????  – and cannot get it back. With a 20-baht police report, ID, and a small fee for a new plastic-card (in may case under 200 baht), it was an easy process...????

Interesting. I've never needed a police report to replace a SIM card. Just roll up at an AIS office with my passport and they've always replaced it for free. I used to be a serial phone loser so I've probably done that 4 or 5 times. Actually, the last time was last year at the same time as the driving licence. It was a real bonus not to need a police report for the driving licence. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Interesting. I've never needed a police report to replace a SIM card. Just roll up at an AIS office with my passport and they've always replaced it for free. I used to be a serial phone loser so I've probably done that 4 or 5 times. Actually, the last time was last year at the same time as the driving licence. It was a real bonus not to need a police report for the driving licence. 

Thanks for your information...:wai:

Which phone brand do prefer, just so I know which company to by stocks in...????

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Benbkk26 said:

Right thank you all for your help. 

I went to the DLT with only my passport and I walked out with a new Driving license for 105Baht.

No police report, no residency certificate or Doctors.

I called the police station and they said yes come in for a report as you'll need it....no i didn't. I also got a new bank card too with only my passport. 

Thank you all for your help. 

Nice when things pan out...

To avoid this issue again go to the DLT Smart License App and register and retain a copy online it's in Thai but just hold your Google Translator Camera OCR reader over it and it's a piece of cake.

You can take screenshots and store the licence images on your phone. 

The other trick is print off your licence back and front on a colored printer cut to size and trim and stick glue together slightly and laminate it and trim it. 

I do this with about 4 copies I use in different places like my phone cover, my wallet, my cards holder and my document holder I travel with in my pocket with all my Thai laminated IM docs.

Lock your real licence away with your passport for security.

Now you have an online version, a copy on your phone and multiple laminated hard copies that look as good as the original. 

The DLT Smart Licence App is now officially accepted as a valid form of driver ID and as licences are no longer confiscated by the BIB your all set. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, berrec said:

To avoid this issue again go to the DLT Smart License App and register and retain a copy online it's in Thai but just hold your Google Translator Camera OCR reader over it and it's a piece of cake.

You can take screenshots and store the licence images on your phone. 

The other trick is print off your licence back and front on a colored printer cut to size and trim and stick glue together slightly and laminate it and trim it. 

I do this with about 4 copies I use in different places like my phone cover, my wallet, my cards holder and my document holder I travel with in my pocket with all my Thai laminated IM docs.

Lock your real licence away with your passport for security.

Now you have an online version, a copy on your phone and multiple laminated hard copies that look as good as the original. 

The DLT Smart Licence App is now officially accepted as a valid form of driver ID and as licences are no longer confiscated by the BIB your all set. 

All very good advice. You are far more organised than I am.