Electric Mobility Scooters in Thailand....

David T Pike

"Are you allowed to use a mobility scooter inside the Malls in Thailand? Large Dept or Grocery stores?"

This is Thailand, there isn't a general "allowed to use" but by and large, Thai people are generally sympathetic towards the elderly or disabled.

I suspect the answer could be down to the size of your scooter. Is it the 3/4 wheeler type you can get into the boot of your car which are limited to 6/8 km/hour? Then you should not have a problem. If it is one of those big jobbies with road lights back and front, an armchair for a seat and can do speeds up to 16 km/hour then I suspect you may have problems entering some shops. If I had a shop I wouldn't let one of those in myself!

Edited by Chris.B

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

Did you not see my post #3?

I clearly stated that you can  use them in malls supermarkets.

Mine is 1 of ( your words) BIG jobbies can do 16 ks has full road lights etc.

So according to your comment above, you are a selfish person, do not care about disabled folk.

Clearly you have full use of your limbs, or you would not make comments like that.

For your information, i am paraplegic, my scooter gives me a little bit of independence.

Wow! You are not the only disabled person in the (ThaiVisa) village you know! Others may want to respond to the OP despite colinneil having already replied. ???? 

What you have said to the OP is you have been to your home city mall and they initially barred you. How you get from that to stating mobility scooters are allowed in all malls in Thailand I don't know? ????

No, I would care about accidents to other customers and my shop or displays. Those big jobbies were not made for use inside. However I would make the decision on a case by case basis. 

• 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Don't know where you reside, but the 'Fascino Pharmacy' in Pattaya North Rd has a very good range.

Thank you.  Had a look at their website, but only see wheelchairs.  I'm thinking about a mobility "scooter".