Out of hospital but still sick with COVID-19, Trump abruptly cancels aid talks

webfact

7 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

One hopes that he might have learned a few lessons-one suspects that he has learnt none.

To address the topic (disappointing, I know) and interject unpleasant reality amid our little party, the announcement clearly shows that he's learned that the Dems aren't going to come up w/ a reasonable bill tailored for the specific problem of COVID relief.

They've ALL been negotiating for quite some time now, and further negotiation at present is simply a waste of time and resources. Any bill accepted by the House won't pass in the Senate.

So he was advised. McConnell agrees w/ the decision to hang it up:

But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican, said he agreed with Trump's decision, telling reporters that "his view was that they were not going to produce a result and we need to concentrate on what’s achievable."

Nothing actually bashable here. Has nothing to do w/ all our beloved talking points and knee-jerk chants. It IS political of course--on all sides--but utterly rational. Any other Repub prez would likely have made the same decision, though not with the inimitable style we've come to know and love.

The WSJ has an editorial explaining the real issues (SHOCK):

Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Democrats refused to accept anything below $2 trillion, and their political ransom demand is what blew up the deal. . . .

Mrs. Pelosi’s calculation is pure political cynicism. Either Mr. Trump agreed to her terms, or she’d blame him for the failure and use it as an election issue. She didn’t want to risk giving Mr. Trump even half-credit for a relief bill before the election. She knows the media will spin it her way, and if Joe Biden wins in November she’ll be able to write an ever bigger spending bill disguised as “stimulus” next year.

Mrs. Pelosi’s biggest demand was more than $400 billion for states, cities and tribal lands. This is a bailout for Illinois, New York, California and other Democratic states that refuse to adjust their budgets to post-Covid realities. It’s an income redistribution play from Florida and Texas taxpayers to blue-state public-union pensions. She also insisted on at least $500 a week in enhanced jobless benefits, which means millions of Americans would earn more by not returning to work.

--https://www.wsj.com/articles/pelosis-taxpayer-ransom-demand-11602026171

In the meantime, Trump has emphasized his desire to pass something reasonable that isn't just full of leftist pork.

Have at it, boys. Love all this mindless demonizing. Not sure how that gives life such meaning, but obviously it does. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Take some personal responsibility!

I can take as much personal responsibility as I want, but if there are many morons out there who don’t, which seems to be the case, what’s the point? Do I have to stay home and isolate myself because those morons refuse to wear masks, refuse to social distance, still want to party and hug and kiss everyone and knowingly keep spreading the virus that way?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Incredibly irresponsible. Many people need help quickly. He just doesn't understand what it means to be the president of all US Americans. Unfit as President as always.

..... and yet, many millions will vote for him again.

• Thanks 1

Just now, hotandsticky said:

..... and yet, many millions will vote for him again.

"The Agriculture Department last week began mandating that millions of boxes of surplus food for needy families include a letter from President Donald Trump claiming credit for the program."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/01/trump-letter-food-aid-boxes-424230

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, newnative said:

So, basically, he's saying vote for me and if I win I will pay you money.  Sounds like paying for votes to me.  Lock this clown up!

A man of your age blissfully unaware of what politicians do! Not familiar with the breed? Don't tell me: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington is your fave movie of all time. I like to smile at McCain's quip about Obama's State Of The Union address: State Of The Campaign.

Actually, this brings up another thing to like about Thailand: honest bribery that doesn't pretend to be other than what it really is.????

“Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning "many" and "tics" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".”

--Robin Williams

But lemme give you more quotations to keep in mind:

https://soapboxie.com/activism/Quotations-Politics

https://www.cynical.ws/definition/politician

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Limbaugh:

"“Still can’t find a Democrat that’s been infected,” Limbaugh noted at the top of his program on Monday. “I don’t know, folks. I just—I don’t believe in coincidence.”"

Of course Rush Limbaugh is the intellect that said Covid 19 got its name because it was the 19th Corona Virus...

it is not a coincidence....one side adheres to science and the advice of experts...the other side obeys The Stable Genius With The Best Words. So now one side does not contract the virus, the other side rolls unmasked breathing all over each other indoors and basically cannot be approached without PPE and plexiglass. I think the Republicans must be going for Party Immunity. (Somebody tell The Stable Genius that is a medical term and not a motion to waste SCOTUS docket with)

Edited by Tie Dye Samurai
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Purposely misinterpreted. What he wanted in the earlier tweet was an immediate standalone bill targeted. That wasn't rescinded; if they send it, he'll sign it. Negotiation on Pelosi's 2.5 trillion was what he wisely gave up on. Might seem strange, true, if you enjoy beating a dead horse. 

Wow, if you backpedal any faster you'll hit warp speed!:clap2:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, polpott said:

if you look at the graphic on the Newsom link you will see that he's recommending replacing your mask between courses not between bites.

Confusing, no? No doubt you normally just look at cartoons. I understand. Merely read the text to learn what's meant:

The California governor's office put out a tweet on Saturday advising that restaurant-goers keep their masks on while dining. "Going out to eat with members of your household this weekend?" the tweet reads. "Don't forget to keep your mask on in between bites." . . .

"I'm very confused by this tweet. The image suggests you should only take your mask off once when you begin a meal but the text suggests you should put it back on between bites," journalist Matthew Fuhrman wrote, referring to the graphic shared in the tweet.

Probably an old graphic. Everybody already knows the old way of wearing into a resto and taking it off only during the meal. By merely pulling it down, you "minimize the number of times you take your mask off," which is the point. Helps avoid napkin use as well. Between meals ain't as safe, obviously.

I trust you'll show your sincere concern to prevent the spread now by doing likewise. Newsom, he da man! 'Course, he's only talking about restaurants that have enough power to be open, if they're allowed to open. 

Yes Sweden's doing really well.

Yes. Hit nearly a 30-year low death rate, for Sweden. And they did get off to a rocky, slow start, as reflected in the stats. Too bad it relies so heavily on exports.

image.png.107d22a3830f1281b5861ad8737c3e6f.png

"Coronavirus: Sweden's economy hit less hard by pandemic," https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53664354

Big star or big shill?

Sorry your argument's been shredded and that's all you got. So the name-calling begins, as it always does. Here ya go, man. Take a little comfort from de Blasio, doin' it right:

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fake News Headline - Trump stopped the negotiations because the Democrats want all their social pork added to the bill so Trump and McConnel both agree that no sense in working on a stimulus program that has no chance of passage.  Waste of time. 
image.png.a4593508fd1e6a82bbcf8cce87176fd8.png
https://fox2now.com/news/doctors-say-president-trump-is-free-of-covid-symptoms-after-returning-from-hospital/?fbclid=IwAR1pZLfYXur_AmHhO-kzmG4ohm01zXFZbA8yQeyzyiEric3ZpKsGU2i2n24

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1