Visit Visa

Hi - Ive had to reregister since I forgot my password.

My Thai g/f came here to Scotland a couple of months ago just for a short break. Visa application was no problem. Does anyone know if she has to wait until current visit visa expires before a new one can be applied for? And what is the likelyhood of success in applying for a second visit visa (she was only here for 10 days before). thanks

Presumably she has a Multiple entry tourist visa which as it says allows her multiple entries to th UK during the validity of the visa (usually 6 months from date of issue). She can legally return to UK on the same visa provided she leaves UK before the expiry date of the visa.

It wouldn't make sense to apply for another visa while the current one is still valid as it is unnecessary.

The only risk you run is that you probably told the embassy that she would make only one visit on that visa so when you do apply for the next visa they may ask a few questions but as her period in the UK was (and in total will be) so short it is something you should be able to feasably explain.

Presumably she has a Multiple entry tourist visa which as it says allows her multiple entries to th UK during the validity of the visa (usually 6 months from date of issue). She can legally return to UK on the same visa provided she leaves UK before the expiry date of the visa.

It wouldn't make sense to apply for another visa while the current one is still valid as it is unnecessary.

The only risk you run is that you probably told the embassy that she would make only one visit on that visa so when you do apply for the next visa they may ask a few questions but as her period in the UK was (and in total will be) so short it is something you should be able to feasably explain.

The idea of applying for a new V V now is so that she doesnt need to apply for one again in a month or so. We're hoping that she can stay here for several months this time all in one visit as Ive been out there several times in the last year. Are there likely to be any objections to this? Is the principle of your g/f coming to the UK on a Visit visa ok - ie its not just for tourist purposes?

thanks

Your girlfriend is able to apply for another visit visa now if she wishes. There is no reason why she can't get a visit visa for the purposes of staying with you, as opposed to being a tourist, but she will still have to be mindful of how long she has previously stayed in the UK, and how long she intends to stay on this occasion.

Scouse.

We're hoping that she can stay here for several months this time all in one visit. Are there likely to be any objections to this? Is the principle of your g/f coming to the UK on a Visit visa ok - ie its not just for tourist purposes?

Your g/f can apply for a visitors visa and she can apply for another while she currently has a valid visa if the required length of stay cannot be achieved by the existing visa. However to request a 6 month visit risks a refusal on the grounds that it would appear she wants to be resident on a visitors visa.

Try not to request more than 6 months in any one year as a visitor and less than that would be more likely to have success.

Yup great thanks thats understood. she was only here for 10 days back in February. In my supporting letter presumably I can just be frank and ask for a maximum stay of 5 months so as to comply with the 6 month maximum rule - or is this likely in some way to cause offence for being presumptious?! thanks again

You say "We're hoping that she can stay here for several months this time ".

I am not sure you can do that.

When you apply for another visit it will start from the day it is granted. If you ask for it to be post dated on the grounds that you want a longer than six month stay I think they will reject it as it does not fit in with the intentions of the six month visitor visa program. that being maximum stay is six months.

I may wrong - any comments anyone ?

We're hoping that she can stay here for several months this time all in one visit. Are there likely to be any objections to this? Is the principle of your g/f coming to the UK on a Visit visa ok - ie its not just for tourist purposes?

Your g/f can apply for a visitors visa and she can apply for another while she currently has a valid visa if the required length of stay cannot be achieved by the existing visa. However to request a 6 month visit risks a refusal on the grounds that it would appear she wants to be resident on a visitors visa.

Try not to request more than 6 months in any one year as a visitor and less than that would be more likely to have success.

:o now you have me totaly confused are you saying that there are two types of visa, tourist /visitor if so what are the differences in the application procedure,all ready have all the paperwork filled out on a tourist visa application for my g/f for when i return in three weeks time :D

now you have me totaly confused are you saying that there are two types of visa, tourist /visitor

No, just different terminology. A tourist is a visitor :o

two points!

1. yes it is understood that 6 months is total max. in 12 months - and no would be asking for post dating - just thai dating :D so if new visa requested now before old one runs out would only be for a period of less than the max from issue.

2. yes the visitor/tourist visa caused me no end of confusion also at the start of all this!! I thought that there was no such thing as a girlfriend visa - either it was a tourist (non partner) visa or a fiance visa - but thats rubbissh. Your g/f can visit on a visitor visa, subject to the usual various hoops to crawl through backwards. I hear however that there are still forces at work in the embassy which can make genuine and truthful applications still be refused...

p.s has this site commented on the vastly increased recent price increase for these visa!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again. Thought I'd supply an update as have rec'd some good advice on this site which helped maybe.

My girlfriend got her second 6 month multi entry visa yesterday. She had made it clear that she was coming this time for nearly the whole period. No interview was even necessary - just rubber stamped the application :o Her first visa went through no problem also, although she did have a few questions at interview (by phone), despite being a bit worried at the time from reading some negative posts here about the embassy.

I'd have to say, our experience of the embassy has been great. Maybe weve been lucky and perhaps the real test will be when we (hopefully) will apply for a fiance visa at the end of this 6 month visa. The first reply I got from someone here though nearly 7 months ago to the effect that "my niavety was almost endearing" seems to have been somewhat harsh.

A couple of important points for other members from our experience.

1. The best policy in my view is to be totally truthful, honest and frank with your application. If thats not possible or leaves you embarrased in some way then your just leaving yourself (or your g/f) wide open at interview to be given a really hard time and possible refusal - and in my view quite rightly. The embassy staff have a very important immigration job to do and inappropriate applications should correctly be refused. Being totally straight makes the job easier of not getting "tripped up" at interview for example. We have to remember that the immigration rules are essentially fair for the vast majority and its not unreasonable to expect to have to comply.

2. Like other posts, supply as much info as possible. I had supplied original copies of tax, wage, mortgage, accounts, property particulars from when I bought my house, utility statements, birth cert, passport, photos, emails etc etc etc. My g/f even included things like postcards/valentines cards. Maybe thats why the embassy this time simply didnt need any other info eg at interview.

3. My g/f says that the staff are mainly thai, so I am surprised to hear that it might be considered by some to be an advantage to have the interview in English.

4. A recent post about accounts refers, where a low balance in one account meant an initial refusal - but overturned! On reading this I made sure that I had transferred a good amount from my savings a/c into my current a/c so that both had a very healthy balance.

My girlfriend got her second 6 month multi entry visa yesterday. She had made it clear that she was coming this time for nearly the whole period. No interview was even necessary - just rubber stamped the application :o Her first visa went through no problem also, although she did have a few questions at interview (by phone), despite being a bit worried at the time from reading some negative posts here about the embassy.

Your observations and comments are correct and in general is what this forum continues to advise. Things get easier as you keep your word, stick to the period in UK that you requested (despite the visa being valid for 6 months) and I'm sure you will also breeze through a Fiancee visa if you apply later. Well done and good luck.