Thailand Road Carnage: Horrific pictures after Volvo driver's death

webfact

21 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Volvos do, or at least used to have a good reputation for strength and safety. To make one completely unrecognizable to what it once was would take some doing. But, of course this is Thailand and when it comes to road safety, they don't do things by halves.  

If you replace the engine with a Toyota 6 cylinder as is common here, I guess there is a lot of cutting and welding needed.

From my experience welding here is on the same page as bird poop for strength

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

If you replace the engine with a Toyota 6 cylinder as is common here, I guess there is a lot of cutting and welding needed.

From my experience welding here is on the same page as bird poop for strength

Very common and easily done, the photos of this car show it had a Toyota 2JZ also.  Those engines drop straight in without any cutting or welding of the car's structure, new engine/gearbox mounts are all that are required.

29 minutes ago, Grapefruit said:

Very common and easily done, the photos of this car show it had a Toyota 2JZ also.  Those engines drop straight in without any cutting or welding of the car's structure, new engine/gearbox mounts are all that are required.

And quite easy to get some serious horsepower out of. But it seems less common to upgrade the suspension or brakes - a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:
3 hours ago, Grapefruit said:

And quite easy to get some serious horsepower out of. But it seems less common to upgrade the suspension or brakes - a recipe for disaster.

... reminds me that I haven't sat down to a repeat episode of Scrap Heap Challenge of late... 

I heard back in 2006 that Thailand built and sold the older style Volvos. A company called Thai Swedish Assembly had the presses and equipment for 240's and the 700 series. This means it had a Volvo badge but was (maybe) not actually built to the same standards. This could explain why the Volvo in the picture is bent like a Coke can.

The cars were made between 1976 to 2011.

The Thai Volvo had an AC that was Siberian cold compared to a real Volvo.

I remember traveling in a few "taxis to Swampy" that were 740's or 790's (not sure) but the AC was brain freeze cold.

I am sure there are some ex-pats who owned these cars and can add to the details.