Latest Covid 19 Insurance Requirements for Foreigners Returning to Thailand

ASEAN NOW Sales

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Although to qualify for the COE. perhaps they need to obtain a Long Stay Visa such as O-A, or O-X, which has it's own insurance obligation.

Yes of course, sorry I'm forgetting those requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 10:15 AM, Enzian said:

OK, I'm 80 now, on a non-O in Bangkok with a multiple re-entry permit. What's the chance I will ever be able to buy the insurance required at a price a normal person can afford or justify in order to re-enter the country as long as this requirement stands? 

I got some flack a couple of months back for saying I may have to pack up and leave indefinitely, and not to slam the door behind me, but I can't be the one of this mind. My guess is that the world is stuck with this virus for at least two more years. Of course I can just decide to stay here and die before I ever see my grandchildren in person, could be worse.

Contact CYGNA

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 11:21 AM, LivinLOS said:

Revolut premium accounts 'free' insurance works just fine. 

UK cost is 7 GBP a month.. 90 days per trip (COE issued on a annual extension good until next july). covers 18 - 75 age.

All this griping about something that costs 2 cups of a coffee a month. 

Try looking at the exclusions and in the event of a claim it’ll cost you more than a couple of coffees. I’ve spoken to a few insurers ( Nationwide,Post Office and even Emirates underwriters Allianz) and all say if travelling against the current UK (England) advice your insurance is invalid. You might get a certificate that passes the COE certificate but if you test positive in quarantine and taken to hospital you’ll have a big bill to pay . Here’s the email.

"Let's put it this way, If the UK gov. is advising you not to travel but you somehow did so, this will be under your exclusions and will not be covered unless you provide us with a proof that you were allowed to travel abroad.

I hope it is much clearer. Otherwise, let me know or share me your phone number and I will try to reach you and explain better.

Stay safe!

Respectfully,

“Due to the significantly increased volume of emails, calls and claims relating to COVID-19, unfortunately there is a delay in responding to emails. We apologize for the inconvenience at this time and will respond as soon as possible.”

Abdelkader Kherbouche

Travel and Assistance Department

NEXtCARE Claim Management is a company of Allianz Partners

PO Box 80864, Dubai, UAE

13 minutes ago, nchuckle said:
“Due to the significantly increased volume of emails, calls and claims relating to COVID-19, unfortunately there is a delay in responding to emails. We apologize for the inconvenience at this time and will respond as soon as possible.”

Abdelkader Kherbouche

Travel and Assistance Department

PS:   Just spelling my name correctly can sometimes take me twenty minutes.  I am sorry for any inconvenience this causes to those waiting .

oops...... coffee break 

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:57 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

We're toast after 70!

No, I read on this forum that the covid insurance scam for $100.000 lasts until you are 99, but the first 14 days do not count, so if you get the virus on the plane or in ASQ, you will have to pay any hospital bills even though you already bought the insurance.

Edited by possum1931

On 10/22/2020 at 2:48 PM, Adelphi said:

Complete rubbish.  I returned to Thailand last week.  I just used my ordinary travel insurance which finishes in  December.  My visa runs until February next year.  The only thing that the London Embassy insisted on was that my policy stated explicitly that it covered me for up to $100,000 for emergency health treatment due to Covid 19.  No special certificate etc.  

Insurance is checked at embassy to get COR. Is insurance checked too by immigration when arriving in Thailand ? or do they only check passport and COE ?

On 11/12/2020 at 7:06 PM, daejung said:

Insurance is checked at embassy to get COR. Is insurance checked too by immigration when arriving in Thailand ? or do they only check passport and COE ?

When I came back about four weeks ago all that was checked at Suvarabhumi was my Passport and CoE.  It was amazingly quick and very well organised at the airport.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, teacherclaire said:

was announced by the Thai government that any alien wanting to enter Thailand had to show US$100,000 of COVID 19 insurance, before they are granted leave to enter Thailand. 

Alien, or Allan? 

gay alains.jpg

The hilarious play on the different meanings of “alien” never gets old, just arthritic and palsied.

Edited by Suradit69

On 11/18/2020 at 7:23 PM, Jorgendk said:

I am sorry, but there is something I don’t understand.

You need a US$100,000 of COVID 19 insurance, but as they clam there is no COVID 19 in Thailand, and you therefore cannot get COVID 19 ones you are in Thailand, or at least the risk is very minimal.

Yes, you do not understand. 

You bring the risk to Thailand, coming from Covid regions and Thailand does not want the burden of your medical treatment. The aircraft is the risk. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You bring the risk to Thailand, coming from Covid regions and Thailand does not want the burden of your medical treatment. The aircraft is the risk. 

The actual issue was about the period for which you have to subscribe to the mandatory US 100.000 US $ coverage of covid-19 treatment insurance. 

The Thai Embassy websites indicate that you should be covered for the length of your intended stay, and in practice it is required to subscribe for a period aligned with the permission to stay the Visa on which you will enter, will provide you.

That means that when entering on a Non Imm O-A visa, you are required to subscribe to that mandatory covid-19 insurance for a full year (for a US or UK citizen the TGIA covid-19 only policy would cost approx 60.000 THB).  And when entering on a 60-day Tourist Visa it is only required for those 60 days (approx 10.000 THB).

The above goes to show that this is NOT meant to protect Thailand from the burden of your medical treatment, but is mainly a money-grabbing scheme by the Thai insurance lobby. 

Because after 2 weeks in Thailand (your time in quarantaine) there is as good as no risk anymore of you catching it in virtually covid-free Thailand. 

So those US 100.000 $ coverage covid-19 insurance policies should be limited to 14 days or 1 month max.  And for those that want to be covered longer, there are 1 million THB covid-19 treatment insurance policies available in Thailand for an annual premium of 850 THB. 

Some of those Thai insurers must be making a fortune by selling these expensive policies with as good as no risk of them having to pay out any claim.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But when your quarantine is over, you're supposed to be covid free, aren't you ?

But your insurance price depends on your country of origin. When quarantine is over, the level of risk is supposed to be same whatever the origin (same as thai residents)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Some of those Thai insurers must be making a fortune by selling these expensive policies with as good as no risk of them having to pay out any claim.

I often wonder how an insurance policy I take out compares to one a Thai person might take out. I had this in mind as my wife's brother must have taken a hit as his small toddler has been rather sick lately in a Bangkok hospital. He has insurance but expected to go over the limits. I asked what the daily was for the room and it was probably half what the BHP here in Pattaya would hit me for if not less.  As  to the Covid insurance, something obligatory will never have a fair price. The tragedy is the older people, who might already have good worldwide cover, have to shell out more, if they can even get it  Only good news seems to be removal of the 500,000 baht spending money requirement for SETV now. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, daejung said:

But when your quarantine is over, you're supposed to be covid free, aren't you ?

But your insurance price depends on your country of origin. When quarantine is over, the level of risk is supposed to be same whatever the origin (same as thai residents)

Yes, so one hopes, although if the ASQ place is not up to scratch there is a chance of cross contamination during the stay. Not sure about insurance pricing, I thought the required ones were fixed. It is apparent Thailand does not go along with the general scientific thoughts and covers its bases best it can. 

I am planning to fly to Tokyo and back next year when I will be 78 YO.  I will use a rentry permit attached to my one-year permission to stay.  If I were to buy the in-country one million baht COVID insurance before I go, would that be considered adequate insurance for readmission to the country?

14 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

I am planning to fly to Tokyo and back next year when I will be 78 YO.  I will use a rentry permit attached to my one-year permission to stay.  If I were to buy the in-country one million baht COVID insurance before I go, would that be considered adequate insurance for readmission to the country?

Not sure how the requirements will evolve over time, but at this moment the 1.000.000 THB covid-19 insurance (which can be bought in-country for approx 850,- THB annual fee) would not meet the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment coverage required.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, teacherclaire said:

I have the strange feeling that there'll soon be a lot more viruses. Now it makes sense. 

China, where it originated had not many cases of COVID 19, why do countries far away have so many?

The mind boggles. 

I would think China had many cases of covid-19 but they are not telling anyone how many. My guess is they just don't care how many cases or deaths. Now with the insurance has anyone in this world ever spent $100,000 USD when they had this virus? Many people who get it never even go see a doctor. Most people don't want to travel with all these virus restrictions so why make it so dam hard on the ones that have to?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I would think China had many cases of covid-19 but they are not telling anyone how many. My guess is they just don't care how many cases or deaths. Now with the insurance has anyone in this world ever spent $100,000 USD when they had this virus? Many people who get it never even go see a doctor. Most people don't want to travel with all these virus restrictions so why make it so dam hard on the ones that have to?

Because you can't take money out of a naked man's pocket? 

2 hours ago, SunsetT said:

In the UK they are now quite relaxed and accepting farang insurance with the better and normal £10,000,000. cover as long as it includes coronavirus medical treatment.

Plus three free condoms and a Chinese thermometer that always shows 36.6 degrees 24/7. 

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I would think China had many cases of covid-19 but they are not telling anyone how many

Not only China.  I thought all the restrictions had been lifted inside Thailand but I've just come off the phone to my wife - during the conversation I asked how my brother-in-law was doing, if his business had picked up yet?  He runs an event hire type operation - provides tables, stages, catering etc. for weddings and other gatherings.  His business continues to be decimated by restrictions - which are still in force.  He's only allowed to provide 50 covers - the authorities will not allow more. Literally 100's of weddings and events have been cancelled - why?  No Covid in Thailand right?

Either the government is lying or their raving mad or both - probably both.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2020 at 1:30 AM, JomtienExile said:

So, to return to my question: Can someone suggest a reputable Thai health insurance company which meets the standards the government is now setting? 

The ones on the government site are priced same as I was quoted by an insurance agent in Bkk so I’m assuming the government ones cover from day one . Although I will be looking through it finely before I purchase it .