Latest Covid 19 Insurance Requirements for Foreigners Returning to Thailand

ASEAN NOW Sales

Latest Covid 19 Insurance Requirements for Foreigners Returning to Thailand

original.jpeg

Reuters. File photo

The insurance required for a foreigner wanting to enter Thailand has changed dramatically since COVID 19 was unleashed upon the world earlier this year.

From a very laissez – faire attitude where there was no insurance requirement, suddenly in March 2020 it was announced by the Thai government that any alien wanting to enter Thailand had to show US$100,000 of COVID 19 insurance, before they are granted leave to enter Thailand. 

This is shown at the Thai embassy, not by producing a policy or showing a medical card, but by getting a certificate of “Proof of insurance” from your insurance provider.

The insurance has to run at least from the date of entry for the length that your visa allows you to stay in Thailand, so it is no use purchasing a one month insurance cover if your visa allows you to stay 90 days or for one year, your application will be rejected out of hand.

While for tourists coming in to Thailand on the new 90 special tourist visa, the minimum requirement is THB400,000 In-patient cover and THB40,000 Out-patient cover, and US$100,000 COVID 19 covers, again it must cover as a minimum the length of the issued visa.

The best option is to perhaps consult with an established Thai broker such as Macallan Insurance Broker, who will probably suggest an annual policy, paid quarterly so that it can be cancelled when it is no longer needed, and a deductible can be added to reduce the premium.

As the policy is valid for a year, covers COVID 19, accidents and medical problems, excluding pre-existing conditions, this ticks all the boxes for the Thai embassies, the insurance application can be done by e-mail and once accepted, the certificate of insurance can be sent by e-mail and this is acceptable to Thai embassies and consulates.

For more information please contact

Macallan Insurance Broker Co., Ltd.

63/14-15 Moo 10, South Pattaya Rd.,

Nongprue, Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

Phone: 038 427 904-5

Email: [email protected]

https://macallanbroker.com/

MIB-300x250px-animated.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Enzian said:

OK, I'm 80 now, on a non-O in Bangkok with a multiple re-entry permit. What's the chance I will ever be able to buy the insurance required at a price a normal person can afford or justify in order to re-enter the country as long as this requirement stands? 

I got some flack a couple of months back for saying I may have to pack up and leave indefinitely, and not to slam the door behind me, but I can't be the one of this mind. My guess is that the world is stuck with this virus for at least two more years. Of course I can just decide to stay here and die before I ever see my grandchildren in person, could be worse.

I have the strange feeling that there'll soon be a lot more viruses. Now it makes sense. 

China, where it originated had not many cases of COVID 19, why do countries far away have so many?

The mind boggles. 

• Like 2

Revolut premium accounts 'free' insurance works just fine. 

UK cost is 7 GBP a month.. 90 days per trip (COE issued on a annual extension good until next july). covers 18 - 75 age.

All this griping about something that costs 2 cups of a coffee a month. 

• Thanks 1

This insurance thing is going on for years, they started with the travel agents first (went up from 100.000 to 1 million) . It got worse after the 2010 water problems in BKK during the reign of miss Yingluck (price up 300% , amount covered for 1/3 property) now they have covid. Somebody way up in the system is making a lott of money because of this. Here again our embassies should ask the same kind of insurance cover before issuing the visa to Thai people.

• Like 1

Complete rubbish.  I returned to Thailand last week.  I just used my ordinary travel insurance which finishes in  December.  My visa runs until February next year.  The only thing that the London Embassy insisted on was that my policy stated explicitly that it covered me for up to $100,000 for emergency health treatment due to Covid 19.  No special certificate etc.  

Edited by Adelphi
  • Like 2

QUOTE:  "The insurance has to run at least from the date of entry for the length that your visa allows you to stay in Thailand, so it is no use purchasing a one month insurance cover if your visa allows you to stay 90 days or for one year, your application will be rejected out of hand.

But what about PR holders, officially labelled as a 'Certificate of Residence', and sometime labelled as 'visa for life'.

So what insurance is required?

On 10/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, Adelphi said:

Complete rubbish.  I returned to Thailand last week.  I just used my ordinary travel insurance which finishes in  December.  My visa runs until February next year.  The only thing that the London Embassy insisted on was that my policy stated explicitly that it covered me for up to $100,000 for emergency health treatment due to Covid 19.  No special certificate etc.  

I’m in uk and considering grasping the nettle to return (married to thai on non im O ) before it expires 23 January. I have no insurance so would have to get some ,but interested in your recent experience re dealing with RTE London,the timespan ,process and sequence of arranging events ( booking flight - who did you fly with?- Hotel - which did you use ,how flexible was booking and was it all paid up front? - arranging PCT test etc. Did you have to physically send / take or receive documents to /from embassy? Restrictions on email attachments (I did hear of) etc.

Any brief synopsis of the whole experience together with tips would be appreciated should you be able to spare the time . Some have previously reported a disjointed,stressful Process/experience but wondered if this has improved? 
many thanks .

I note that the article refers to inpatient and outpatient insurance plus the $100,000 cover for Covid 19 as being requirements for the new STV. Are those that come on a Non O (marriage) only required to have the $100,000 Covid cover?

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

I’m in uk and considering grasping the nettle to return (married to thai on non im O ) before it expires 23 January...............................................................

I'm in the same position but my Visa expires in March.  By all means take note of any replies to your post but please check the RTE London's advice at the time you apply.  It changes from month to month.

I believe that an application from someone already holding a Non O (marriage) can be made entirely by post/e-mail. It is my understanding though, that if you need a new Non O, you have to visit the RTE for that.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 10/18/2020 at 4:15 AM, Enzian said:

OK, I'm 80 now, on a non-O in Bangkok with a multiple re-entry permit. What's the chance I will ever be able to buy the insurance required at a price a normal person can afford or justify in order to re-enter the country as long as this requirement stands? 

I got some flack a couple of months back for saying I may have to pack up and leave indefinitely, and not to slam the door behind me, but I can't be the one of this mind. My guess is that the world is stuck with this virus for at least two more years. Of course I can just decide to stay here and die before I ever see my grandchildren in person, could be worse.

Just been quoted 6800bt for every 3 months

If you have already got COVID and have antibodies then you cannot be a spreader nor get it again. This is basic virology. So those who have antibodies should be exempt. Most retirees cannot afford to pay some 60,000 Baht per year for an insurance they cannot use and does not cover pre- existing conditions! They will force the few retirees that live and have family here out of the country. 

7 minutes ago, JomtienExile said:

That company seems to be offering insurance *only* for COVID-related illness, not for anything else. Does that meet the requirements of the Thai government?

I don't know how far you went on the website but I entered UK as my country of departure, visiting spouse and then 30 days and got the quote below - seems to cover all the government's requirements.

Untitled.jpg

Just now, KhaoYai said:

I don't know how far you went on the website but I entered UK as my country of departure, visiting spouse and then 30 days and got the quote below - seems to cover all the government's requirements - unless the exchange rate changes significantly.

Untitled.jpg

3 hours ago, JomtienExile said:

That company seems to be offering insurance *only* for COVID-related illness, not for anything else. Does that meet the requirements of the Thai government?

Ahh I see what you may mean - if you are refering to the 400,000 inpatient cover and 40,000 oupatient cover stated in the OP - sorry, I think that would be separate. I think that needs confirmation and clarification - the post isn't 100% clear but in any case, it refers to people applying for the new STV. Very few westerners are going to be allowed to apply for that given the rising number of infections in most western countries.

As far as I'm aware, there are no changes to the insurance requirements for the other groups allowed to travel to Thailand and that remains at $100,000 Covid cover.

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As far as I'm aware, there are no changes to the insurance requirements for the other groups allowed to travel to Thailand and that remains at $100,000 Covid cover.

Although to qualify for the COE. perhaps they need to obtain a Long Stay Visa such as O-A, or O-X, which has it's own insurance obligation.