Thai PM pushes tracking app for foreign tourists, denies it’s like "Big Brother"

webfact

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

The 1% that don't are the crusty old posters on TV who don't travel anyway.

With due respect, rubbish!! Prior to border closures, I was a seasoned traveler, not only around the World, but on retirement throughout Thailand (sometimes officially as a Tourist Police Volunteer) and the neighboring countries of Burma, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia (where I now live). Therefore, I think I can be excluded from your "crusty old" 1% of TV posters!! As regards smartphones, I cannot use them due to damaged fingers from injuries sustained during 25 years of soccer (football)! Key pads and keyboards okay for ME! 

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

Nothing wrong with farang having the app, if you've nothing to hide then what's the concern.

It's purely for COVID19 tracking should a cluster or transmission become identified. 

Well, first of all, it is stupid. It tells them where you have been, not who you came direct contact with.

Recently, there was an article in the Bangkok Herald that said the Chinese government is trying to get the tracking data from the Thai government so they can see what there citizens have been doing in Thailand. This means that the data is warehoused somewhere. For how long? Who knows. However, I guess when you come to Thailand, you authorize them to track you, and I am sure they will use that data for anything they want to use it for.

In addition, Thais will know that tourists and others are tracked. I am sure that will lead to a lack of access to some locations, even the homes of expat friends. Of course, the Thais have no idea who is a tourist and who is an ex-pat, so they will treat everyone the same - you will not be welcome in some areas.

The "if you've got nothing hide, then what is the concern" argument is very weak. Why? Well, who decides if you are hiding something or not? I guess you just trust authorities and governments unconditionally.

Finally, they will know where you were and when you were there. However, they will have no idea what you were doing or why you were there. Accidentally find yourself at the scene of a crime or sensitive political event? Maybe they will want to talk to you. Nice. I always look forward to encounters with Thai law enforcement, especially when you have no idea why they are talking to you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lucifer999 said:

Tracking tourists: yea this will help thai tourism. when will Thailand stop shooting it self in the foot ... when will Thailand have elections for new PM ...

yes ,  they need to stop the carrot dangling to whoooo money tourists, and slow down on the tracking, certainly retract the wrist tracker idea.  But tourism is dead anyway as we know it .... and now Thailand is starting to know it.  We don't need elections as you mentioned, we already have the elected Gen Khun Prayut Chan O Cha who is doing many good things in creating jobs, jobs and more jobs for the Thais.

• Sad 4

53 minutes ago, steven100 said:

We don't need elections as you mentioned, we already have the elected Gen Khun Prayut Chan O Cha who is doing many good things in creating jobs, jobs and more jobs for the Thais.

How many jobs has he created and where?

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

We don't need elections as you mentioned, we already have the elected Gen Khun Prayut Chan O Cha who is doing many good things in creating jobs, jobs and more jobs for the Thais.

As  Covid trackers in new design uniforms which they have to buy, designers for bling for the epaulettes, and IT for the trackers, those jobs??

Tell the starving reliant on food welfare about their jobs they have and wonderful income they sustain.

Really can't understand why everyone wigs out regarding these tracing apps, unless you're a major drug dealer or international spy ???? I can't see what the problem is....never mind the fact just about any online device U use can be tapped or traced by police if reqd.

If this was a key element in avoiding quarantine, I'd be the first to sign up.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, UbonEagle said:

Really can't understand why everyone wigs out regarding these tracing apps, unless you're a major drug dealer or international spy ???? I can't see what the problem is....never mind the fact just about any online device U use can be tapped or traced by police if reqd.

I personally have no problem with the exception of being diverted away from the average Thai person, I do not go traveling to remain in a farangland hotel and only go where I am directed in an alleged democracy with freedom of movement.  

• Thanks 1

Get your dog collars at 7-11s after first stepping over the rabid dogs guarding the doors.  So much needs sorting out in Thailand from corruption every where to a lack of basic education and he is urging more vegetables!  He has a Cabinet full of them.

4 hours ago, UbonEagle said:

thank you , and exactly my point also.  It's not even mandatory,  you don't have to have it , and even if you have it then whats the fuss if your not wanted by the authorities. 

farangophobia ....   lol   

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

Let’s try again. 

How many jobs has he created and in which sector or are you just making it up?

Edited by Kadilo

"He said that the app would not impinge on personal freedoms or risk leaks of personal data.  It would help with tracking, tracing, testing, quarantine and add to all the stimulus and economic benefits that the special tourist visa is bound to bring."

Does he even hear himself at all?