Medical assistance for the poor

earthscar

As stated in the tittle i'm curious about what organizations are available to help thai citizens that are poor and need medical assistance. A friend of mine lives there and their mother has a ongoing medical issue that requires monthly visits and meds. Are there any organizations that assist those that don't have the financial means to cover the medical bills.

From what i can gather it seems the medical system hasn't handled the fallout from Covid and is no longer offering the same care for free/reduced price it once did.

Not the case. All Thais continue to have access to free health care. This has not changed,. And the hospitals are operating quite normally.  COVID had minimal impact here and that, only for a brief time.

Is it possible your friend is trying to get money from you? I have to warn that >90% of these stories turn out to scams.

• Like 1

I fully admit that the phrasing in my question seemed ripped right out of the Nigerian prince asking for assistance to move some cash. In this case not so much, in large part because they know i have neither the money or the inclination to assist.

This quarry came in large part because i became frustrated w/ their tendency to complain w/o using the power of the internet to look for the solutions out there. My google searches came up empty and I considered it possible that it was because i was doing the searches in English rather then thai. 

2 hours ago, earthscar said:

A friend of mine lives there and their mother has a ongoing medical issue that requires monthly visits and meds. Are there any organizations that assist those that don't have the financial means to cover the medical bills.

They are having a problem covering their 30 THB co-pay?  You have to be kidding?
This isn't a legit Op, is it?

Edited by connda

I was under the impression the government has suspended or restricted the coverage the 30 thb offered.

I find the medical system in Thailand to be a bit interesting. the lack of easy access to pain medication is mystifying. I understand it has to due w/ the fear of drug miss-use its just surprising how aggressive they have gone against pain meds

2 hours ago, earthscar said:

I was under the impression the government has suspended or restricted the coverage the 30 thb offered.

Not at all the case.

Nothing has changed.

There is no need for any sort of internet search. They can get care as usual at their registered government hospital. And no doubt are doing so.

For which reason there are no foundations etc, no need for them as the government health system provides.

What exactly are they complaining about?

Some Thais who can afford it opt for treatment at private hospitals, because the waiting times at the free government hospitals can be 5 - 8 hours. Hundreds of people queuing up to see a doctor. Perhaps that is what the OP's friend is leading into with the mother.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Some Thais who can afford it opt for treatment at private hospitals, because the waiting times at the free government hospitals can be 5 - 8 hours. Hundreds of people queuing up to see a doctor. Perhaps that is what the OP's friend is leading into with the mother.

Would not explain the nonsense he has apparently been told about the "30 baht" scheme having been stopped, and the health system being no longer fully functional due to COVID (!).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Would not explain the nonsense he has apparently been told about the "30 baht" scheme having been stopped, and the health system being no longer fully functional due to COVID (!).

Agree, that's why I used the expression "leading into".