Large Demonstration In Bangkok

chevykanteve

Thai workers rail against coup leaders

About 10,000 workers marched through central Bangkok to mark May Day on Tuesday, accusing the military-backed government of mishandling the economy and demanding an immediate return to democracy.

Wearing yellow shirts and yellow hats in honour of Thailand's king, they marched through Bangkok's government district to a royal plaza.

There was only light security. Police said they deployed 750 officers along the parade route and at the square.

"The government's performance over the past seven months has caused economic losses," the marchers said in a statement, referring to the period since the coup last September.

"The economic slowdown has led to rising unemployment while politics is still not stable," they added.

The labour activists cited in particular the decision to impose stiff currency controls in December as hurting the economy.

The activists also denounced a proposed constitution drafted by a panel handpicked by the military, which would create an appointed Senate and reduce the number of parliamentarians.

"We call for a return to democracy, under the 1997 constitution, through immediate elections," the statement said.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont later met a delegation of the protesters and pledged to consider their demands, which also included an increase in minimum wages and better protection for foreign labourers here.

Agence France-Presse

"The economic slowdown has led to rising unemployment while politics is still not stable," they added.

no , No , NO .............

there's is no slow down , unemployement is at 1% and the junta is doing the job ..................

line up for your rose coloured glasses here ..........

no , No , NO .............

there's is no slow down , unemployement is at 1% and the junta is doing the job ..................

line up for your rose coloured glasses here ..........

this may have something to do with it......

Tuesday May 01, 2007

ECONOMY MARCH STATISTICS

Economy slows further on weak domestic demand

DARANA CHUDASRI

The economy slowed further in March due to persistent weakness in domestic demand, according to data released yesterday by the Bank of Thailand. The private consumption index shrank 1.4% year-on-year in March, compared with a 0.2% year-on-year increase in February, contributing to a 0.5% contraction year-on-year in the first quarter.

The private investment index decreased 2.9% year-on-year in March, compared with a 1.3% decline the previous month, according to the central bank.

Amara Sriphayak, senior director for the domestic economy department, said exports were the main economic driving force in the first quarter.

The consumption trend reflected declines in passenger cars sales and construction materials.

The figure was in line with a University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce survey, which indicated consumption was worsening due to concerns over political uncertainties.

Dr Amara said the business sentiment index looking forward for three months was at 47.1 for June, indicating worsened investor confidence for the first time in six months.

''Consumers were more cautious in their spending. Meanwhile, investors still are hesitating. Figures in March indicated a steeper slowdown as a result of political uncertainties,'' she said.

Exports totalled $12.9 billion in March, up 19% year-on-year.

Imports were $10.7 billion, a 0.5% increase from last year. The trade account recorded a $2.2 billion surplus, while the current account recorded a record high at $2.25 billion for the month.

Imports of capital goods declined 6.2% year-on-year in March, compared with 2.8% year-on-year growth in February.

Consumer goods imports grew 3.8% year-on-year, compared with 13% year-on-year growth in February.

Dr Amara said the current account surplus totalled $3.5 billion in the first quarter. The central bank maintained its forecast of a $4-6 billion current account surplus for 2007 due to plans to import aircraft in the second and third quarters.

The central bank also expects exports to slow down over the rest of the year.

A manufacturing slowdown in March was due mainly to declines in production of vehicles and construction in line with weaker demand.

The manufacturing production index grew 6.1% in the first quarter, down from 6.8% in the fourth quarter of 2006.

The economic outlook and overall employment could be improved by the government's economic stimulus measures, Dr Amara said. Elections are also expected to improve economic sentiment.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/01May2007_biz36.php

Edited by bingobongo

this may have something to do with it......

been obvious at the coal face for quite some time ,

and every day longer that it's ignored the damage is exponentially increasing ..............

It's interesting that The Nation is reporting this in its breaking news solely on the basis of the French news agency AFP, with no contributing input from reporters of The Nation. Meanwhile, the Bangkok Post hasn't reported anything yet on the subject. It's almost as if this demonstration --10,000 people according to AFP-- is a non-event by standards of the local press. Thank God for foreign press agencies.

It's interesting that The Nation is reporting this in its breaking news solely on the basis of the French news agency AFP, with no contributing input from reporters of The Nation. Meanwhile, the Bangkok Post hasn't reported anything yet on the subject. It's almost as if this demonstration --10,000 people according to AFP-- is a non-event by standards of the local press. Thank God for foreign press agencies.

Probably due to its non-event status. How many rallied on May Day in 2006? 2005? In 2004, there were 20,000 Thai workers rallying on May Day.

It's a tradition.

Probably due to its non-event status. How many rallied on May Day in 2006? 2005? In 2004, there were 20,000 Thai workers rallying on May Day.

It's a tradition.

According to the AFP article, they're rallying against the coup leaders (read it). How many coup-related issues were there in May 2006, 2005 or 2004?

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont later met a delegation of the protesters and pledged to consider their demands, which also included an increase in minimum wages and better protection for foreign labourers here.

Hardly sounds like "rallying against the coup leaders" to me. Sounds more like the normal labor day march.

Hardly sounds like "rallying against the coup leaders" to me. Sounds more like the normal labor day march.

The activists also denounced a proposed constitution drafted by a panel handpicked by the military, which would create an appointed Senate and reduce the number of parliamentarians.

"We call for a return to democracy, under the 1997 constitution, through immediate elections," the statement said.

If you say so!

Every May Day joins people with varied issues... I'm sure among the 10,000 there were som tam sellers protesting the rise in crab prices.

In and 2006 and 2005, it was against Thaksin's various issues....some related to labor, others not. In 2004, the big concern was about getting a raise to the minimum wage, a slowdown in the economy, and unemployment concerns. Exactly the same issues voiced in the OP.

bottom line is... on May 1, it's very NOT unusual to get thousands to rally or demonstrate in Bangkok.

Every May Day joins people with varied issues... I'm sure among the 10,000 there were som tam sellers protesting the rise in crab prices.

In and 2006 and 2005, it was against Thaksin's various issues....some related to labor, others not. In 2004, the big concern was about getting a raise to the minimum wage, a slowdown in the economy, and unemployment concerns. Exactly the same issues voiced in the OP.

bottom line is... on May 1, it's very NOT unusual to get thousands to rally or demonstrate in Bangkok.

Yeah this ain't news, it happens every year, it just so happens that the coup is the grievance de jour, so that is one of MANY things that they are protesting about.

It just happens that AFP get a story if they make it sound like a large rally. To local news agencies it isn't news. Infact if anything the only newsworthy part is that 10,000 is smaller than it has been in previous years.

And they think that "immediate return to democracy under 1997 Constitution" will stop the economic slump and bring political stability overnight.

not overnight ,

however it won't get any closer by any other means ......................................

I can’t help but wonder how much of the economic slowdown it tied to the new 90/180 day visa rule. I was looking at some other things and it seems to have started it’s decline around the end of the first 90 day period. I don’t have the information to post to back me up as I was only loosely looking at it. The people on tourist visas who were contributing to the regular economy is what I referring to. For every one that was given the boot, they probably contributed 3 to 8 times what a Thai would contribute to the local economy.

in reality small potatoes John K ,

big damage was done in bungled foreign exchange controls and opening Pandora's box re companies ................... :o

I am sure you are correct but in pockets the impact is more significant. It was more just food for thought.

s2_copy192.jpg

Labour demands

Hundreds of workers rally outside Government House yesterday to set out their demands for better pay and conditions. The Labour Day rally also demanded extra clauses for workers be included in the new constitution.

s3_copy187.jpg

A demonstrator dressed as a Thai hermit carrying a turtle statue entertains workers camped outside Government House on Labour Day yesterday. Among other demands, the protesters renewed their call for the cancellation of plans to privatise state enterprises.

Source: The Nation - 02 May 2007

s2_copy192.jpg

Labour demands

Hundreds of workers rally outside Government House yesterday to set out their demands for better pay and conditions. The Labour Day rally also demanded extra clauses for workers be included in the new constitution.

s3_copy187.jpg

A demonstrator dressed as a Thai hermit carrying a turtle statue entertains workers camped outside Government House on Labour Day yesterday. Among other demands, the protesters renewed their call for the cancellation of plans to privatise state enterprises.

Source: The Nation - 02 May 2007

All of the protest signs I can see in the photo are demanding wage and welfare reforms, nothing visible about the coup. One sign even reads 'We don't want a constitution!'.

All of the protest signs I can see in the photo are demanding wage and welfare reforms, nothing visible about the coup. One sign even reads 'We don't want a constitution!'.

From what i have heard from people who took part in the march there were many different groups present, and only some demonstrated directly against the coup.

From what i have heard from people who took part in the march there were many different groups present, and only some demonstrated directly against the coup.

The lack of any sign of protest by the som tam sellers is apparent as well.