MBK: Rebranding as a shopping center for Thais - not foreigners!

rooster59

39 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I was at MBK last month and they were having a huge casting session for girl Kpop bands. 

There were hundreds of girls running around in Cosplay outfits dressed like cats. 

Filled up my entire 128 gig external memory card. 

MBK-CENTER-3-1-696x464.jpg.0160a07a1147ed99955080264749a8f3.jpg

and you "selfish 555" don't share, please, please, please, show us some skin

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I was at MBK last month and they were having a huge casting session for girl Kpop bands. 

There were hundreds of girls running around in Cosplay outfits dressed like cats. 

Filled up my entire 128 gig external memory card. 

Can you upload to onedrive and send me a link please.

I went there last week. One of the upper floors dedicated to clothing is decimated. Many of the roll down door shops are shut. Areas in the center where racks of clothing had been brought out are empty. One of the shops where I once bought some nice dress shirts from an elderly couple is now gone. Sad. But they've got a lovely new coffee and tea shop, set up outside next to the escalators, done up like a garden with a selection of air fresheners to match.

The cell phone area was still going strong. Many local expats still about. I was quoted 400 baht for a generic phone case. Uhh, you do realize the tourists are all gone? Hah.

Not a tourist mall? Complete nonsense. They've got your overpriced phone cases. They got tailored suits advertised in USD and JPY. They got cell phone sales and repair, with signs in English, and everyone speaks English, and other foreign languages. The lovely cell phone vendors will also give you their number to service your other needs. Then of course there's the ultimate, must see, infamous tourist trap, the photo studio where you can get all decked out in traditional Thai gear to show the folks at home, which surprisingly was still busy.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

The absolute hatred some on here for foreigners/expats makes me wonder why they go onto Thai visa in the first place, a site setup for expats. I wonder the intellect of these spokesmen who spout insane rubbish.  In one breath he has alienated a high percentage of foreigners and Thais. 

"In one breath.....blah blah blah".  What did he say exactly?  Please tell.  I didn't see a single quote from anyone in the entire article.  Did you even read it? How did you reach your conclusion and what rubbish did the spokesman spout?  Please tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I went there last week. One of the upper floors dedicated to clothing is decimated. Many of the roll down door shops are shut. Areas in the center where racks of clothing had been brought out are empty. One of the shops where I once bought some nice dress shirts from an elderly couple is now gone. Sad. But they've got a lovely new coffee and tea shop, set up outside next to the escalators, done up like a garden with a selection of air fresheners to match.

The cell phone area was still going strong. Many local expats still about. I was quoted 400 baht for a generic phone case. Uhh, you do realize the tourists are all gone? Hah.

Not a tourist mall? Complete nonsense. They've got your overpriced phone cases. They got tailored suits advertised in USD and JPY. They got cell phone sales and repair, with signs in English, and everyone speaks English, and other foreign languages. The lovely cell phone vendors will also give you their number to service your other needs. Then of course there's the ultimate, must see, infamous tourist trap, the photo studio where you can get all decked out in traditional Thai gear to show the folks at home, which surprisingly was still busy.

From many years ago I remember a philately shop on the ground floor near the the front door, but that has probably been gone for a few years now.

7 hours ago, MadMac said:

Makes sense without any foreigners left or expected to come back anytime soon.

Many businesses worldwide made the mistake to rely on for ever more tourists. The small town where I'm stranded in EU had 1.5 mill Chinese yearly. All highend shops were set up for them. It is quiet these days.