Thai Massaman curry topped “The World’s 50 Best Foods,” CNN Travel

snoop1130

Thai Massaman curry topped “The World’s 50 Best Foods,” CNN Travel

Bangkok.jpg

Bangkok, 20 October, 2020 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to announce that CNN Travel has placed Thai Massaman curry as the No. 1 dish in “The World’s 50 Best Foods list, along with Tom Yum Kung in the eighth place and Som Tam papaya salad, which ranked at 46th.

Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, TAT Governor, said, “This listing is a testament to the already solid reputation of Thai cuisine that is increasingly perceived as a world-class culinary experience. Thailand is certainly a great destination for foodie tourism.

“Once the COVID-19 situation improves, we are more than ready to welcome tourists and foodies from around the world to embark on a culinary journey and explore Thainess through Thai dishes in unique destinations across Thailand.”

The latest CNN Travel World’s 50 Best Foods list was updated in September 2020, on the original article that was previously published in 2011, then reformatted, updated and republished in 2017, and updated since then.

CNN Travel staff said that they had scoured the planet for what they thought were 50 of the most delicious foods ever created. The three Thai dishes were ranked and described as follows:

Massaman curry, 1st place: Emphatically the king of curries, and perhaps the king of all foods. Spicy, coconutty, sweet and savoury. Even the packet sauce you buy from the supermarket can make the most delinquent of cooks look like a Michelin potential. Thankfully, someone invented rice, with which diners can mop up the last drizzles of curry sauce. “The Land of Smiles” isn’t just a marketing catch-line. It’s a result of being born in a land where the world’s most delicious food is sold on nearly every street corner.

Tom Yum Kung, 8th place: This best food Thai masterpiece teems with shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes, lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves. Usually loaded with coconut milk and cream, the hearty soup unifies a host of favourite Thai tastes: sour, salty, spicy and sweet. Best of all is the price: cheap.

Som Tam papaya salad, 46th place: To prepare Thailand’s most famous salad, pound garlic and chillies with a mortar and pestle. Toss in tamarind juice, fish sauce, peanuts, dried shrimp, tomatoes, lime juice, sugar cane paste, string beans and a handful of grated green papaya. Grab a side of sticky rice. Variations include those made with crab (som tam pu) and fermented fish sauce (som tam pla ra), but none matches the flavour and simple beauty of the original.

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2020/10/thai-massaman-curry-topped-the-worlds-50-best-foods-cnn-travel/

• Like 2

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-food-dishes/index.html

Chocolate, ice cream, corn, donuts, lobster, croissant, syrup, ketchup, marzipan, potato chips, popcorn... lol

None of these are food dishes. There's even more on that list that is questionable. It's like CNN had to fill the list with more nonsense just so they could justify having something on the list with the American flag. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem is food taste is very personal.  

Thai food is great but I don't find it the best - and even the best gets tiring after a while.  Humans are meant to eat many different things as we easily get tired of the same thing.  

That's why pasta - a really good and authentic italian dish - tastes good after six months.  I wouldn't want to eat that every day though - you would look like those new 70 odd tourists coming in, waistline and all.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Hopefully Don "smell my fingers" Lemon wasn't one of the CNN judges handling the food.

Maybe it was that disgusting animal Guy Fieri.  Has he died of his heart attack yet?  He's around 40 and prime age considering the **** that he eats.  

Unknown.jpeg

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Som Tam papaya salad, 46th place

I still pretty sure that this dish is just all the cuttings and dropped food from under the market stall. But the wife loves it. Funny thing is that she says only about 1 in 10 are any good - but still goes back to the same stall for 90%  bad ones.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

My wife often makes a Massaman curry for me and it tastes great. When I make it there is a difference in the taste even if we use the same ingredients.

I agree,

My Better Half makes a mean one too. ????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

I agree,

My Better Half makes a mean one too. ????

Ditto. Madam does a delicious massaman, I think it tastes even better after the leftovers have "matured" in the fridge for a day or two.

Is it world's best food, of this I'm not so sure (I am definitely not going to tell her this).

• Like 2

This is just TAT trying to get tourist and we all know what CNN is ****.

Massaman curry originated in Malaysia also Tom yum kung originated in Malaysia

both stolen by Thailand. Tom Yum Gung in Malaysia is called Laksee soup.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

CNN Travel staff said that they had scoured the planet for what they thought were 50 of the most delicious foods ever created. The three Thai dishes were ranked and described as follows:

Scoured the planet and came up with Massaman as #1

really?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

My wife often makes a Massaman curry for me and it tastes great. When I make it there is a difference in the taste even if we use the same ingredients.

You should wash your hands before mixing the curry.

Strange taste of the night before ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1