Sattahip: Motorcyclist killed because of faulty drain cover

webfact

Sattahip: Motorcyclist killed because of faulty drain cover

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that a 52 year old man from Roi-Et was killed when he lost control of his Yamaha motorcycle on a faulty grille in Soi Bon Kai, Sattahip.

Witnesses saw Suriya slam into an ornamental tree outside a house then get catapulted head first into a wall.

Rescue foundation staff on the scene of the accident on Monday night performed CPR but were unable to revive the rider. 

Locals called on the authorities to immediately repair the many potholes and faulty covers in the busy area, especially the one that claimed the life of the rider.  

A foundation rescue worker was pictured pointing at the faulty grille. 

Source: Sanook

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i see these half collapsed drain covers everywhere touring around on my big bike.

Yes, and that is exactly what this man should have been doing too. It´s because you look at the road as well as the traffic you are alive, right? ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crusader said:

I used to ride motocycles all the time, and unless you are going like a bat out of hell, or just not looking...these things are spotable.

You would think so.... but a pothole nearly took my teeth out recently as it was right at a crossroads and I was watching vehicles coming the other way. The above incident, well it was nighttime and perhaps badly lit...... Thais take their headlight bulbs out to save petrol.

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That drain cover is a disgrace, ow I suppose all drain covers in the area

will be checked and repaired ,just like the rail crossings,nothing happens

until someone dies...

regards Worgeordie

This is "Work Class Thailand"

It's not only these draincovers but also the quality of the roads , i drive my Xadv in bkk everyday and the same road you drive today tomorrow can have a big a.. hole in it the next after a big rain . Even roads newly paved , after rain potholes show up everywhere and some are pretty deep . So always keep your eyes on the road and on traffic because they surely don't . And nothing will change anytime soon . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

on a faulty grille

It is an utter disgrace and has been for many years, not only with the roads but pavements/sidewalks as well. When I used to live in Lanna, I often saw tourists in Chiang Mai struggling around on crutches with ankles/legs in plaster. 

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That drain cover is a disgrace, ow I suppose all drain covers in the area

will be checked and repaired ,just like the rail crossings,nothing happens

until someone dies...

regards Worgeordie

As usual a dollar short and a day late RIP the rider. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

he lost control of his Yamaha motorcycle

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Suriya slam into an ornamental tree outside a house then get catapulted head

Slammed /catapulted/lost control.  Suggests another accident caused by excessive speed.

I remember years back  when  the drain covers along  Beach road  near Royal garden were  being stolen .......sold scrap metal, a  thoughtful  pedestrian covered one hole with a straw mat as in the photo above,  a passer by stepped off the curb crossing the road and fell into the drain and was hospitalised

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Crusader said:

I used to ride motocycles all the time, and unless you are going like a bat out of hell, or just not looking...these things are spotable.

You used to ride. Great. I always did and still do. I wouldn't see it at night. And when you see it at daytime on a small, or a big bike, it's usually too late.

RIP, poor lad, some people will miss you. 

20 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Oh well at least we know how much a life is worth now...one drain cover.

Just a thought, I bet no one knows how many underage riders are part of the 60 odd fatalities on Thai roads every day, it never seems to get reported, I wonder why?