Expat in Koh Samui Prison on drug charges, nearly $3,000 raised to get her out

webfact

10 minutes ago, varun said:

Unfortunate, but very idiotic to sign for & open a parcel that's not addressed to you,

especially if you have no idea what is inside - former boss or not.

She could have just rejected the parcel and refused to sign.

Very convenient that the BiB showed up right after - definitely more to this story.

The OP didn't say she opened the parcel, and I've signed for parcels delivered for someone not there at the time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Is there some way a girl of 19 can be a teacher? If she has been in Thailand for 2 years and is now 21 it implies that she became a teacher when she was 19. I thought teachers needed degrees.

I wonder if she has a work permit to start her business and work as a teacher......and what is a teacher doing opening mail. And who is her boss.....presumably if she started the Hot in the Biscuit, she is her own boss. So is this a boss from her teaching job? Is her boss in jail as well? Did he work at the same school/cafe?

Something doesn't smell right. But poor girl, I would not like to be in her shoes right now. 

From the OP

She signed for the package, but didn’t open it and set it aside.

:jap:

5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I would think there is more details to the story, than the article and Go Fund Me-page reveals...????

Yeah, the other article says she was "backpacking" around and then started working in a bar, where the package was delivered. No mention of a restaurant.

I always keep in mind that GoFundMe's are meant to tug the heartstrings so that people will give more generously. Which could result in stories being "modified" to make them more presentable. Especially those that may not know what it's like in Thailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

The package was intended for someone else. As it's written on it. Let's not engage in wrongful arrests. That's a criminal offence these days. 

The fact that she signed it simply proves that the package got delivered. That's all. It's very unfortunate that the coppers are mentally challenged over here. 

not going through the whole thing now to see if anybody else caught it, apparently the $30,000 goal was reached as of the 21st. .

go fund me.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My pals in the UK (cocaine drug dealers) always used to operate deliveries like this (Red Star Parcels).

Package delivered to your address with another person's name on, put on the side for a week, then open if they weren't raided.

Gave them plausible deniability, police stakeouts could only afford to wait 3 days

True, many packages are shipped through normal mail like this, correct address but alias or other recipient name.

In most countries this would get you ff the hook with a good lawyer... but TIT.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems you just discovered the weak spot in her case.

Some of us actually know what farang teachers get paid.

Wonder if she's got a work permit for the restaurant?

Obviously the cops knew the drugs had been delivered ( they don't go around raiding restaurants on the off chance of finding parcels with drugs ).

Seems she was set up. I could speculate on the obvious reason, but that would be a conspiracy theory, so won't.

Yes indeed, a possible set up - the thought came immediately to my mind.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SePl said:

She is an idiot but free her ! People making any problem for any drugs are even worst idiots !

If story is true what make her idiot? I have sign up many peoples package so i have to be idiot also. Hmm.. maybe i am but not coz sign up! Only idiot don't know hes idiot!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

You have quite a knowledge about this stuff????

sadly, no, he doesn't.

Furthermore he lacks the ability to read. The amount is clearly stated as tablets not grams. 1 tablet or dose, if it were particularly high quality may contain .1 of a gram, but likely significantly less.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Face book reply from the owner of the restaurant: 

7) NO DRUGS OR ILLICIT MATERIALS were found at her house or her work place OTHER THAN the unopened parcel address to Dave Rensburg who is the South African that I bought the business from and who used to be our very good friend.

???? The delivery man pressured for her to sign this package WHILE she was serving customers DURING her shift and when she SAW IT WAS addressed to someone she has known for years she simply signed her name, put the package down, and got back to work before awhile later the police raided the shop where they found nothing else at all. 9) There is no Ukraine/UK connection. I am in Ukraine attending MEDICAL SCHOOL. There was a package sent to Dave Resnburg from the UK. The two have NOTHING in common

Dave Resnburg from South Africa and Dave Resnburg from the UK. A farang girl without bank account working as waitress. A police that arrives pretty soon after the parcel was delivered. Whatever - an interesting story. I hope we will get further information. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

This stinks why did the Police think to raid her place?

no it doesn't. it's very possible for the package to be identified as carrying drugs by a customs sniffer dog, alert customs official, random checking of packages by post office/customs staff or from a tip off. once a package is identified as containing drugs, especially if it is a large amount, it is allowed to proceed to it's destination/addressee and the police take appropriate action. happens in many countries and is to be applauded as effective action by customs and police working together.

now other matters;  while she could have a TEFF certificate at 19 she is extremely unlikely to have a degree, so how did she get a work permit? did she have all the correct documents to open and run a business?

playing devil's advocate, it would be very easy for her to tell her 'contact' to address the package to her boss so that if the police did come round she would have, albeit weak, plausible deniability.

that's not to say she could have had all the relevant immigration and legal documentation to teach and subsequently open a business here. but many questions remain unanswered. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It stated on the original gofundme post that she signed a confession that was written in Thai . If so she will be basically found guilty and it will be in the system already so no way to fix it . If she gets bail then best thing she could do is run but I doubt they will give her bail unless she pays 1-2 million bht being a foreigner. 
Unless by some miracle they find the guy whose name is on the package and he confesses ???? then she will be doing 4-8 years I would say . After a few years she might be allowed to serve the rest in her home country prison .

5 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

It stated on the original gofundme post that she signed a confession that was written in Thai . If so she will be basically found guilty and it will be in the system already so no way to fix it . If she gets bail then best thing she could do is run but I doubt they will give her bail unless she pays 1-2 million bht being a foreigner. 
Unless by some miracle they find the guy whose name is on the package and he confesses ???? then she will be doing 4-8 years I would say . After a few years she might be allowed to serve the rest in her home country prison .

You want to reprint or link to the GFMP that says she signed a confession in Thai?  It siad she signed to recieve the package not a confession.