TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I paid 32,589 for my PCH policy that covers all of covid and all other ailments and surgeries. Not to mention the policy is good for up to 20,000,000 baht.  Also pays up to 16,000 baht a day for a room with a max stay of 45 days.  Think the Thai TAT minister and his cronies are taking the p**s.

i didnt  buy  it i was  just checking out the website for a laugh

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, tso310 said:

Good point, just looked at the terms and conditions. 

1. Additional Limitation:
    1. - Limitation for medical expenses from Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic only. [Self explanatory...coverage for SARS-CoV-2 infection and related COVID-19 disease only.]
    1. - Room and board for inpatient must not exceed single standard room cost. [Standard individual hospital room...no coverage for "premium" or VIP hospital suites.]
    1. - This limitation does not apply to hospitalization in an I.C.U. according to the medical necessity. [ICU rooms covered if medically necessary.]
  2. Important Exclusions:
    1. This insurance does not cover
      1. - Treatment which is not considered a modern medicine, including alternative medicine. [Herbal, "traditional," homeopathic, etc. medical treatments not covered.]
      1. - Medicine Treatment or investigation not related to medical expenses from Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. [Reiterate only SARS-CoV-2 and meeical conditions related to virus infected are covered.]

Granted the English translation is a bit garbled...I read it as above in bold. Seem to be standard and reasonable health insurance policy provisions.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, andre47 said:

If this insurance cover only Covid 19 and no other treatments then the premiums are insanely high. It is robbery...outrageous...

Agree - virtually nobody will ever get to claim from this insurance. An additional policy will be required for normal health issues or emergencies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

Agree - virtually nobody will ever get to claim from this insurance. An additional policy will be required for normal health issues or emergencies.

Yes...it's sold as a CORONA/COVID health insurance policy...not a general health insurance or travel insurance policy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

Hat-Tham-Phra-Nang-Krabi.jpg

Bangkok, 23 October, 2020 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to share the latest announcement from the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) that foreign visitors will be able to purchase compulsory COVID-19 insurance policy online prior to visiting the Kingdom.

TAT Governor, Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, said, “A medical insurance policy with at least USD $100,000 coverage or about 3.16 million Baht for possible COVID-19 treatment is among the official documents required from foreign visitors planning to visit Thailand during this challenging public health crisis.

“TAT hopes the COVID-19 insurance protection programme, under the regulation of the OIC, offers additional peace-of-mind for foreign visitors and hopefully makes it easier for inbound travellers before departing from their country of origin,” Mr. Yuthasak added.

The Thai General Association (TGIA) and the Thai Life Assurance Association (TLAA) plus 16 leading and non-life insurance companies in Thailand are partnering together with the oversight according to regulations from the OIC to offer the COVID-19 insurance protection programme to foreign visitors.

Foreign travellers will enjoy the following advantages of purchasing an OIC-endorsed medical insurance policy, which is available online at https://covid19.tgia.org/:

• The insurance policy has been approved by the Thai government and can be used in the Thai visa application process. Coverage begins immediately upon arrival in Thailand.
  • No need for advance payment or out-of-pocket expenses when admitted at private hospitals nationwide. Insurance coverage does not exceed USD $100,000 or about 3.16 million Baht.
  • In the case of death from COVID-19 infection, the insurance company will provide a life insurance benefit of USD $100,000 or about 3.16 million Baht to the beneficiary.
  • The insurance premium cost is reasonable, the process is overseen by the OIC, and purchase can be done efficiently online.
  • Thailand’s public health infrastructure and healthcare facilities,  as well as healthcare professionals are recognised as some of the best in Asia for treating infectious diseases.

The OIC-endorsed COVID-19 insurance packages vary from 30 days to one year. The premium ranges from 1,600-4,800 Baht for 30 days of coverage; from 2,880-8,640 Baht for 60 days; from 3,840 – 12,160 Baht for 90 days; from 7,680 – 23,040 Baht for 120 days, and from 14,400 – 43,200 Baht for one year.

TAT highly recommends foreigners planning to visit Thailand to enquire at the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General in their home country before making any bookings.

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2020/10/tat-announces-compulsory-medical-insurance-for-foreign-visitors/

No mention of other visa holders returning .

(only tourist visa ?)

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I paid 32,589 for my PCH policy that covers all of covid and all other ailments and surgeries. Not to mention the policy is good for up to 20,000,000 baht.  Also pays up to 16,000 baht a day for a room with a max stay of 45 days.  Think the Thai TAT minister and his cronies are taking the p**s. Forgot to add it also covers Dental and vision and has a 1,000,000 baht payout to my beneficiary should I die. I think its a good policy and backs up my US policy I have as part of my Retirement.

Please, what is a PCH policy which looks like it covers almost everything?

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Please, what is a PCH policy which looks like it covers almost everything?

Look up the top PCH policies that they have, and think of a policy without pre-existing conditions, of course I do get a discount having been with them for a while now.  Never have had an issue with them paying out and my dental visits are all reimbursed.  Just had a post and crown installed, and a semi annual cleaning, payed 11,500 Baht and was refunded 10,600 Baht, so in total a crown and post cost and the cleaning cost me 900 baht.  All my regular medical visits to see my doctors are also covered.  What it does not cover I submit back to my US based HI and they reimburse the remainder.  For me to pay what I do annually runs me around 3,000 Baht a month when you figure it out.   2 dental visits, an eye exam, and a annual medical physical are covered. So in essence this policy covers itself.

Hmm about $400 for 90 days for an American. Plus the cost of 2 weeks in quarantine being bored crazy. Sounds like a good deal to me. Why wouldn't i do this? 55555

Does anyone  know what two weeks in quarantine costs? Includes food since you can't go out?

I know they said they will have concerts for the imprisoned. Happening? And cooking lessons. And you can cook in your room how? And using what ingredients? Ahh the mind is staggered. But I trust the government to have have it all completely and cleanly worked out.

BTW My Thai friend who is a flight attendant just returned to Thailand and she had to quarantine in Pattaya and the government footed the bill. And you guys complain about double pricing at parks. 555 A mere pittance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Not even going to worry about it yet, Way I see it is that these are mad requirements for return during covid times , and will in all likelihood disappear or be changed when covid is behind us. Thailand is driven by tourism, once a they see people will not come and pay for this outside of covid it will be gone.

I am with you on this, I am going nowhere until travelling returns to some sense of normality. Could be rather a long time though. I can wait, I have infinite patience.

• Like 1