TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

Now I am confused as to what I should do.

I have a good UK policy BUT it has no cover for pre-existing conditions (diabetes, stents) and no cover for COVID due to these conditions. I am 65 and pay around 53k Baht, but next year when I am 66 they have already told me it will go up by maybe 50%.

This top PCH policy, if I read it correctly, would possibly cover everything and at 92k Baht could be a more attractive option for that reason.

This insurance requirement will not stop tourism completely, of course, but surely will reduce the number of tourists coming to Thailand. And actually I think authorities in Thailand is happy for that - at least it doesn't worry them if it reduces the number of tourists with five or ten percent. But we here really see how tourists are viewed as money machines. And Thai authorities certainly are not ashamed of showing it. 

15 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Do we all need COVID insurance now, or is this only for those coming in?

Why should those of us already here need insurance? There is no COVID in Thailand. The government says so. If COVID does get into Thailand, then that means the government let it come in from one of its "low risk" travel partners. Why should we pay, then? They should pay. The government will have given us COVID.

Edited by John Drake

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I understand that Bodga, I was just showing the difference between what a normal policy i have includes which truly makes this TAT miracle insurance a total scam and sham.  It makes me wonder if since they will be mandating covid insurance if they will only accept it from Thailand's insurance companies and mot standard travel insurance that airlines are now getting in the game on.  Definitely a death blow to tourism if that's true. As I said before here they are with another hairbrained scheme.

Of course sensible countries are  offering free or quite cheap covid  insurance such as Turkey and the Canary Islands, however that Chinese influence of  money  money  money is  always number 1, sad aint it!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pib said:

I couldn't say how many expats living Thailand have medical insurance....I do...specifically Tricare that covers me worldwide.

However, having medical insurance and COVID coverage "in the eyes of the Thai govt" are two different things.  If you can prove to the Thai govt you current medical insurance also provides the required $100K COVID coverage then you are good to go.  If you can't prove that like your policy not specifically stating COVID coverage/amount or unable to get a letter from your insurance company (I wouldn't be able to with Tricare) stating such, then you would have to buy separate COVID coverage to re-enter Thailand.  

And Thailand requiring "Thai insurance company" COVID coverage  after the COVID pandemic is well within the realm of possibility just as how they require  the expensive and low coverage Thai medical insurance if wanting to renew an OA visa/extension of stay...insurance typically anyone over 75 will not be able to get.  And I'm sure expats that currently live in Thailand are seen as a prime target by the Thai insurance  companies as a captured milk cow.

Sure but if your with a good insurer they will give you a letter they cover this COVID too. I am pretty sure mine will give me one if i need it.  I got insurance much higher then the requirement and it covers everything. So i am pretty sure the Thai government will accept it.

If you are with BUPA or ACS you can probably get such a letter. It is indeed a hassle but not hard to get a letter. They are professionals. 

I understand your worry that expats are a milking cow but those who have insurance will probably able to get proof of it. Those who don't have insurance actually deserve to be milked. Not sure how you can live in a country without medical insurance. I think given all the people skipping out on bills and regularly reading in the medical part of the forum about people not being able to pay I understand the worry.

I would not like it in my own country if foreigners would run op costs and not pay it back. Its the same in Thailand.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:46 AM, JensenZ said:

This is absolutely brilliant. They destroyed the economy by shutting it down, now they want to allow Chinese visitors back in. Of course they believe Chinese statistics on the infection rate there. Nevermind that no one else in the world believes the nonsense the Chinese come out with, but the PM of Thailand does.

Yes, let them all in and start all over again. Let's get the 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves underway asap. Then we can stay on strict lockdown for another year or so. 

On 6/18/2020 at 6:50 PM, bodga said:

guaranteed  mind   numbingly cack  then.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:43 PM, DrJack54 said:

We all knew that tourists would be at bottom of list. Perhaps those with marriage or retirement etc next added to list. Poblem is that by that time their extension/reentry permit most likely expired. Meaning many would require tourist visa

On 7/6/2020 at 4:37 AM, scubascuba3 said:

They obviously don't trust the Thai government figures provided, test numbers were very low and shady

On 7/13/2020 at 11:39 AM, canopus1969 said:

Agree with him, UK, US, Brazil and India as examples should be kept out for now

On 8/12/2020 at 7:11 PM, Hunlicahors said:

Thank you

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

And is this policy available to work permit holders, permanent residents and other categories of foreigners who are now allowed to join repatriation flights to Thailand?

I have insurance that covers the 100000 $ so what is NEW. Just old news ????

12 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And why is the regime so eager to feed the insurance companies? And who are the insurance companies feeding?  

the (money) circle goes round and round.........

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure but if your with a good insurer they will give you a letter they cover this COVID too. I am pretty sure mine will give me one if i need it.  I got insurance much higher then the requirement and it covers everything. So i am pretty sure the Thai government will accept it.

If you are with BUPA or ACS you can probably get such a letter. It is indeed a hassle but not hard to get a letter. They are professionals. 

I understand your worry that expats are a milking cow but those who have insurance will probably able to get proof of it. Those who don't have insurance actually deserve to be milked. Not sure how you can live in a country without medical insurance. I think given all the people skipping out on bills and regularly reading in the medical part of the forum about people not being able to pay I understand the worry.

I would not like it in my own country if foreigners would run op costs and not pay it back. Its the same in Thailand.

My insurer is the US Govt (Tricare is insurance for military/military retirees)....it provides unlimited coverage worldwide....but Tricare and other US govt policies don't do letters saying, Yes you are covered for COVID worldwide, in Thailand, etc. 

And just saw below separate thread which provides the perfect example of trying to get a letter that confirms COVID coverage....and its for someone with US govt Tricare medical coverage....unable to get the letter specifically stating the policy includes COVID $100K coverage (which it does....it would even provide unlimited coverage for off-planet viruses but Tricare is not going to provide a separate letter saying such).

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1188683-covid-19-insurance-for-80-year-old-retired-american/

Edited by Pib

16 hours ago, samsensam said:

so only valid for corona virus treatment. surely a policy that covers medical treatment including corona virus is going to be far more useful?

Yes, provided you didn't have Corona as a condition. Which in Thailand probably means you have to be inside the country. 

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

Hat-Tham-Phra-Nang-Krabi.jpg

Bangkok, 23 October, 2020 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to share the latest announcement from the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) that foreign visitors will be able to purchase compulsory COVID-19 insurance policy online prior to visiting the Kingdom.

TAT Governor, Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, said, “A medical insurance policy with at least USD $100,000 coverage or about 3.16 million Baht for possible COVID-19 treatment is among the official documents required from foreign visitors planning to visit Thailand during this challenging public health crisis.

“TAT hopes the COVID-19 insurance protection programme, under the regulation of the OIC, offers additional peace-of-mind for foreign visitors and hopefully makes it easier for inbound travellers before departing from their country of origin,” Mr. Yuthasak added.

The Thai General Association (TGIA) and the Thai Life Assurance Association (TLAA) plus 16 leading and non-life insurance companies in Thailand are partnering together with the oversight according to regulations from the OIC to offer the COVID-19 insurance protection programme to foreign visitors.

Foreign travellers will enjoy the following advantages of purchasing an OIC-endorsed medical insurance policy, which is available online at https://covid19.tgia.org/:

• The insurance policy has been approved by the Thai government and can be used in the Thai visa application process. Coverage begins immediately upon arrival in Thailand.
  • No need for advance payment or out-of-pocket expenses when admitted at private hospitals nationwide. Insurance coverage does not exceed USD $100,000 or about 3.16 million Baht.
  • In the case of death from COVID-19 infection, the insurance company will provide a life insurance benefit of USD $100,000 or about 3.16 million Baht to the beneficiary.
  • The insurance premium cost is reasonable, the process is overseen by the OIC, and purchase can be done efficiently online.
  • Thailand’s public health infrastructure and healthcare facilities,  as well as healthcare professionals are recognised as some of the best in Asia for treating infectious diseases.

The OIC-endorsed COVID-19 insurance packages vary from 30 days to one year. The premium ranges from 1,600-4,800 Baht for 30 days of coverage; from 2,880-8,640 Baht for 60 days; from 3,840 – 12,160 Baht for 90 days; from 7,680 – 23,040 Baht for 120 days, and from 14,400 – 43,200 Baht for one year.

TAT highly recommends foreigners planning to visit Thailand to enquire at the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General in their home country before making any bookings.

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2020/10/tat-announces-compulsory-medical-insurance-for-foreign-visitors/

Do they accept regular travel insurances? 

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

My insurer is the US Govt (Tricare is insurance for military/military retirees)....it provides unlimited coverage worldwide....but Tricare and other US govt policies don't do letters saying, Yes you are covered for COVID worldwide, in Thailand, etc. 

And just saw below separate thread which provides the perfect example of trying to get a letter that confirms COVID coverage....and its for someone with US govt Tricare medical coverage.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1188683-covid-19-insurance-for-80-year-old-retired-american/

Then its not as much a problem of the Thai government but inflexibility of your US gov. Same if my insurer would not give me a letter id blame them not the Thai government. I would certainly consider changing insurance if mine did not give me a letter. I know you cant do that. But the problem is not the Thai government in this case but your own.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Great idea.

If  person does not want to comply and cannot afford this important insurance,  then no choice but to stay where you are.

I'm quite sure mummy or daddy in Europe will have the funds to pay for their offsprings' additional insurance. 

An additional travel insurance is something every tourist should have anyway.

And since the premiums for health insurances are calculated by age, the young ones will be better off this time. 

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

sensible move

eminently so

But as you can see, the usual suspects are up in arms because TAT are finding economical ways to make it easier AND SAFER to come to Thailand and prematurely end another Thai bash opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thai insurance companies and the Thai govt knew up front it would be very hard for most people to get a specific letter from their insurance company (most any company, private or govt) stating the policy provided certain coverage in terms of amount, coverage location, type of treatment, etc.....like a minimum of $100K COVID coverage while in Thailand.   Or like the medical insurance requirement for at least Bt400K inpatient/Bt40K outpatient coverage in Thailand needed for OA visa/extension of stay.....that letter requiring three signatures from the insurance company.

Insurance companies do not want to do that for liability purposes.....they don't want to provide any separate letter or sign some letter provided by an outside organizations that may contradict what the insurance policy states....a policy that took years to write and an army of lawyers to get the wording just right. 

Thai insurance companies (and the govt) know this because they too would not provide any such letter if they were asked to provide a certain letter a customer needed for coverage in a foreign country.   Yes, Thai insurance companies know getting any separate, specific letter from an insurance company stating specific coverage can be very hard to impossible to get as the insurance company will simply refer the person to the policy for coverage explanation.   So, that why the govt says foreign insurance is fine as long as it specifically says this or that....and/or has a specific letter signed by the insurance company.

Yes I agree so your problem is not with the requirement but with the process of proving you got insurance. I get that I agree with that. However I do agree with the government that people should be insured. 

Just now, Pib said:

Exactly.   I have never said people should not be insured. 

My beef is the Thai govt (with Thai insurance companies whispering in the govt's ear) is intentionally making it very hard to impossible--and expensive--for a person to use their much better and lower cost foreign insurance as proof of adequate coverage when it comes to getting a COE for COVID, an annual extension of stay, etc.  It's very intentional. 

I can agree with that point of view. I did not know there had to be 3 signatures on a letter. Thought it would be a simple thing as they just had to state about COVID and its just an normal disease so covered under the insurance you got.