TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

Unbelievable when there is no Covid1-19 in the country and you're obliged to do quarantine.

Let the youngsters topple this ridiculous lot soonest to enable everyone, not just the elites, to get their lives back on track.

This policy is <deleted>. You will still need normal travel insurance for many other claimable items. EG. Flight problems, travel to and from airport, accident, accommodation problems, dental. theft, loss of baggage, hire car excess and above all sickness as this policy only covers Covid 19.

• Like 2

...And what about those who already have a health insurance that meets all the requirment and moreover which is compulsory in their country of origin ??

..Having to inquire an additional insurance just to make the Thai economy work!!

It is the same as throwing money out of the window !!

5 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

This policy is <deleted>. You will still need normal travel insurance for many other claimable items. EG. Flight problems, travel to and from airport, accident, accommodation problems, dental. theft, loss of baggage, hire car excess and above all sickness as this policy only covers Covid 19.

Yes, the SafetyWing travel-insurance will provide all of the above, and provides 250.000 US $ accident/illness coverage (INCLUDING covid-19).  And the premium is LOWER than what you pay for the ridiculous covid-19 only Thai insurance policies.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mjnaus said:

I was expecting insanely high premiums; but I guess they're not too bad. Although, cheaper alternatives can definitely be found outside of Thailand's borders. 

from 10000 travelers may catch 100 covid on a 1 year contract

only 6%  in average attmited to hospital (worldwide)

on 10000 contracts you will see max 6 in hospital

10000 x average 30000thb premium ( usd 1000) = 10 mio usd premium

for average of 6 patients  cost 40.000usd in usa!!!!!! most expensive in thai cheaper

10 .0000.000 premium

240.000 costs ( 6x 40000).if we take the high us number would even only 10

profit margen 97.6%

it say all...even if inpatients would increase by 1000% there would be 76% profitmargen

Hospitalized care for COVID-19 averages $34,662 to $45,683, varying by age

Edited by lapamita
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

No, you only need a 100.000 US $ coverage covid-19 insurance for the period of your intended stay in Thailand. 

That's why the TGIA covid-19 only insurance policies allow you to subscribe to them for periods of 30, 60, 90, 180 days and 1 year, as that co-incides with the Visa period on which you enter.

Note: E.g. when entering on a new 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa, you could of course buy a cheap throw-away flight-ticket to provide evidence that your intended stay in Thailand would only be 30 days and not the 1-year from the Non Imm O-A Visa.

I see nothing wrong with doing so, because after 30 days in covid-free Thailand it would be clear that you are not covid infected and hence no need for having such insurance for a full year.

I have a sneaky feeling that the government may not agree with you on that point.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nera123 said:

...And what about those who already have a health insurance that meets all the requirment and moreover which is compulsory in their country of origin ??

..Having to inquire an additional insurance just to make the Thai economy work!!

It is the same as throwing money out of the window !!

You do not need to get an additional policy to meet the COVID-19 insurance requirement. Just get a letter from your insurance co stating your level of coverage and tat it includes treatment for COVID.

Where it is a bit more complicated is if you are also needing to meet the requirement for an O-A visa. For this too, your existing policy can be used but you need to get a certificate signed by the insurer (available online) and you cannto use it for an incountry extension of stay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

So it's just another scam on foreign tourists, and another business model for the generals to line up their pockets by pay backs from the Thai insurances? Likely. What else could be a reason to force foreigner to exclusively buy these overpriced Thai insurances when they are already covered by their existing insurances? 

This is not the only policy and no one is being forced to buy this particular one exclusively.  This is an online option.

Edited by Legendary Monkey

I am here on a retirement extension and have no plans to leave the country anytime soon. I get Thai Social Security medical benefits (covers anything including COVID). I hope to visit the US maybe mid to late next year. I am hoping that the fact that I am completely covered by Thai SS means that I would not have to get this supplementary insurance.  Sheryl do you know if that's true?

So when I get back home to Thailand after the costly quarantine finishes , which I’m not doing or paying for so will wait . Then I need to takeout a Covid insurance with a Thai company for every year I continue to stay there with my Thai wife , on top off my European insurance which already has world wide cover and Covid cover ?? 

Is TAT so slow or is it just slow upstairs!  This is recycle news?  this was already required as one of the items month ago for your COE!

Then did this change since another group was it that so call special visa, that was lower for to 40,000 baht outpatient 400,000 baht?

Then you now got the Chinese coming beginning of Oct reported no one applied a few days later 39 arrives that is the quickest COE process or because they were Chinese wasn't required anything it seem just get on the plane do your 14 days and you are free to go anywhere!

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have a sneaky feeling that the government may not agree with you on that point.

Easy to check for them ....example the 3 months money keeping on bank ..same time check ...90 day rapport ...same possibility ...oh yes ..

i hear some say you can do..."online rapport "

..o.k. ...attachement needed in the online rapport  from your insurrance policy ????

If money involved Thai can be inginuous ????

Edited by david555

2 minutes ago, Mywayboy said:

Well I won't be able to travel there I'm 76, 2 heart attacks in Thailand .

I'm basically Fa÷=/ed

Neither of these things in any way precludes getting the required COVID insurance. It is available up to age 99 and no exlcusions based on prior conditions (as long as you don't already have COVID!)

What you would not be able to get is a Thai issued general insurance policy. This would preclude getting an ion-country extension of stay on an O-A visa. You might still be able to get an O-A visa initially if you can obtain a foreign policy and get the necessary certificate signed.  Then you would have to repeat this process after your permission of stay under that visa ended (i.e. get a new O-A). Or, if you qualify on grounds other than retirement, then you could just come with only a COVID policy.

• Like 1

Looks that my plan i made years ago to leave Thailand latest in 2022 was not wrong at all ...for several reasons and having not one difficulty to stay ...but face it guy's...Paradise is lost ...end line????

• Like 1

Does the airline, think Emirates that offers this insurance - is that acceptable? Or is that a back up & still need to buy $100k separate policy 

Does Thailand accept any policy from wherever if $100k for Covid or only Thai bought insurance policy? 

• Haha 1

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to share the latest announcement from the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) that foreign visitors will be able to purchase compulsory COVID-19 insurance policy online prior to visiting the Kingdom".

I just BET they are pver the moon! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, phil2407 said:

Does the airline, think Emirates that offers this insurance - is that acceptable? Or is that a back up & still need to buy $100k separate policy 

Does Thailand accept any policy from wherever if $100k for Covid or only Thai bought insurance policy? 

Maybe from now on only Thai one as some smell the money...????