TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, because they have no way of knowing what a foreign social security scheme covers.

If you can get a letter from the Social Security describing your coverage and that COVID is included then fine. 

so Sheryl, if the father and son have actually been "locked up" although testing negative, do you think that the Thai insurance will pay for their confinement, as they don't have Covid ?

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Any polucy is accepted as long as at lesst 100k and includes COVID.

Many people have used their existimg insurance policies for this.

Others have purchased travel policy from Western companies.

Does not have to be a Thai policy.

TAT is just plugging Thai policies in this press release, is all.

Not true for everyone Sheryl, I was reading your Canberra office requirements you posted on the Australian guys thread and their conditions quite plainly indicate the insurance has to be with a Thai company ???????

• Confused 1

On 10/23/2020 at 6:24 PM, scorecard said:

And is this policy available to work permit holders, permanent residents and other categories of foreigners who are now allowed to join repatriation flights to Thailand?

Work permit holders will be paying tax, thus are eligible for social security.

Can't imagine they will be required to take out this insurance as they already qualify for the local Thai coronavirus insurance premiums.

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Work permit holders will be paying tax, thus are eligible for social security.

Can't imagine they will be required to take out this insurance as they already qualify for the local Thai coronavirus insurance premiums.

One can only hope you are right, but then this is Thailand and common sense never goes hand in hand with Thai logic.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The Thai Embassy in Canberra website lists some "recommended" insurance companies (not all of which are Thai) and their use is not mandatory.

I stand corrected, although Item 8 of "required documents" with the asterix is not as clear as it could be, so according to Item 8, you should take health insurance with a Thai company, but the Covid insurance can be taken elsewhere providing it meets the requirements......as clear as mud ????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

I stand corrected, although Item 8 of "required documents" with the asterix is not as clear as it could be, so according to Item 8, you should take health insurance with a Thai company, but the Covid insurance can be taken elsewhere providing it meets the requirements......as clear as mud ????

I cannot believe what some folks think of this.    You have to show proof of insurance cover for 100k including COVID 19.

If you do not have the COVID19 cover but have outside insurance then will have to purchase a Thai cover at the airport I expect.

When entering Thailand .....  irrespective of your visa or marital situation .... this is a directive from TAT which only confirm's previous announcements.

TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors.

So I expect,  anyone entering Thailand must show 100k insurance cover + COVID10 cover included or you have to purchase on site at the airport. 

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

When entering Thailand .....  irrespective of your visa or marital situation .... this is a directive from TAT which only confirm's previous announcements.

So I expect,  anyone entering Thailand must show 100k insurance cover + COVID19 cover included or you have to purchase on site at the airport. 

So I expect,  anyone entering Thailand must show 100k insurance cover + COVID10 cover included or you have to purchase on site at the airport. 

I have just briefly checked a couple of the Thai recommended insurance companies, for someone willing to take more time than me it could prove quite hilarious, for example "April Insurance" does not even have Thailand listed as an option and The pacific Asia one has certain elements closed due to Covid.....LOL

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The $100K coverage requirement is for COVID19 only--it's specific to COVID19.   There is no separate requirement for general purpose medical coverage unless you are entering on an O/A Visa.

Edit: Correction...the $100K requirement relates to all medical coverage and it must include coverage for COVID. 

Edited by Pib

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

The $100K coverage requirement is for COVID19 only--it's specific to COVID19.   There is no separate requirement for general purpose medical coverage unless you are entering on an O/A Visa.

i would recommend that you follow Sheryl's link in the "COE and the new TR Visa" forum and check item 8 of the STV requirements ????

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

sorry PIB , you are wrong as I expected ....  

1. Before check-in at the airport of origin, the traveler must show the following documents to the airlines:

1.1 Non-Thai citizens

• Health certification describing "No laboratory evidence of COVID-19 infection in the previous 72 hours and no signs of illness in the 14 days prior to the departure date"

• Health insurance (in an amount of at least 100,000 USD) that should cover all expenditures of medical treatment while traveling to Thailand. The travelers need to purchase health insurance before traveling.

Edited by steven100

WRONG ..... 

1. Before check-in at the airport of origin, the traveler must show the following documents to the airlines:

1.1 Non-Thai citizens

• Health certification describing "No laboratory evidence of COVID-19 infection in the previous 72 hours and no signs of illness in the 14 days prior to the departure date"

• Health insurance (in an amount of at least 100,000 USD) that should cover all expenditures of medical treatment while traveling to Thailand. The travelers need to purchase health insurance before traveling.

I stand corrected...it is to cover all medical requirement to include COVID.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

WRONG ..... 

1.1 Non-Thai citizens

100k medical insurance cover   ...  if it does not include COVID19 cover you will be requested to purchase from the Thai insurance at the airport.   Or don't enter.

Enough on this subject .....   it clear to me.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I cannot believe what some folks think of this.    You have to show proof of insurance cover for 100k including COVID 19.

If you do not have the COVID19 cover but have outside insurance then will have to purchase a Thai cover at the airport I expect.

You will not be issued a COE in the first place without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the same pattern continously in Thailand, pre-covid, and no doubt post covid, so many good ideas, many with good intentions, that ultimately get twarted after endless list of somchai's puts his mark on it and adds to the list of the requirements so he has contributed to one of the many meetings of understanding.. 

Same thing happened to the previous Smart Visa (the tech startup category whatever unrelated letter of the alphabet that was), in the end the requirements got so silly, 12 months health insurance from date of start, working capital in a fund that was locked down for X months (err.. thats not working), and so on that when asked about how many applications they had so far with all this non-sense they replied "several" - it should be noted it was going for several months at this point -  with the seperate office working and still "several, sir"... Nuts. - Although I will admit after explaining the sillyness of the requirements they eventually waive each and every one of them, except one,  so health insurance renewal date no longer has to align perfectly, okay you can working capital in a bank account now I clear with boss etc, so they could get their eigth applicant   ???? - it was a dead idea at this point though because the PDF of contact details of each self-classified vulture captialist was no longer interested in the scheme - either page-not-found site, bounced email, or "we no longer work with them" - and that was a requirement they couldn't waive (even though reality you didnt want their involvement or money since they couldnt even pay their $5 godaddy email / gsuite bill - all instagram sillys) 

Edited by dsf9
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 8:05 PM, steven100 said:

once you leave ...  you need COVID COVER on entry ......     geeeze ...   it's an insurance as required and i expect every country soon.

but as a resident, how long do i need this insurance for ?

one month, six months, one year, or forever ?

Would i need to show this each year to renew my visa ?

• Like 1

Everybody would probably be safe to use there own country insurance to be able to speak with them and make respect contract in front of the law of there own country if the insurance company failed. It is absolutely unsafe to use a insurance company who is not from your own country.

Next, what ever the name of the contract is, he just have to cover health problem and transportation in case of health problem where you are going with the requested cover to paid for (so 100 K$ if Thai government think it can be required). And nothing more... the name of the insurance is absolutely not a warranty to get money if you need it and it should legally not be an obligation for the contract to have this particular name.

At final time, i would be ok to get requested coverage from my own insurance i can trust and i will no have problem to communicate with at a better price for a much more better cover than Thailand insurance with specific contract named "COVID". My own is also more than 3 times cheaper and cover for 3.5 times money coverage up (and transportation to my country).

That's it, what is difficult to understand ? No one can not understand this, but maybe some doesn't want or are no interested to understand these crucial points ? Isn't it ?

come on... do not profit this fear factor propaganda situation ! it will failed again, people are not stupid.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, snoop1130 said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to share the latest announcement from the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) that foreign visitors will be able to purchase compulsory COVID-19 insurance policy online prior to visiting the Kingdom.

How pleased were they? As pleased as when they get fat envelopes for bribes? Or just kind of pleased like after a happy ending?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

but as a resident, how long do i need this insurance for ?

one month, six months, one year, or forever ?

Would i need to show this each year to renew my visa ?

forget it, it is an other one blackmail situation to make business. As all business, it will failed if no one accept.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jerolamo said:

Everybody would probably be safe to use there own country insurance to be able to speak with them and make respect contract in front of the law of there own country if the insurance company failed. It is absolutely unsafe to use a insurance company who is not from your own country.

Next, what ever the name of the contract is, he just have to cover health problem and transportation in case of health problem where you are going with the requested cover to paid for (so 100 K$ if Thai government think it can be required). And nothing more... the name of the insurance is absolutely not a warranty to get money if you need it and it should legally not be an obligation for the contract to have this particular name.

At final time, i would be ok to get requested coverage from my own insurance i can trust and i will no have problem to communicate with at a better price for a much more better cover than Thailand insurance with specific contract named "COVID". My own is also more than 3 times cheaper and cover for 3.5 times money coverage up (and transportation to my country).

That's it, what is difficult to understand ? No one can not understand this, but maybe some doesn't want or are no interested to understand these crucial points ? Isn't it ?

come on... do not profit this fear factor propaganda situation ! it will failed again, people are not stupid.

However, getting the insurance waiver that Thailand wants for certain visa's signed by the directors of your insurance company outside of Thailand saying that your insurance plan covers and meets what is in Thai law, will never happen.  Legally its a dead dog and a turd.  Lawsuits will abound if they do not live up to what Thailand wants, and the folks are denied coverage here by the Insurance company from abroad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, getting the insurance waiver that Thailand wants for certain visa's signed by the directors of your insurance company outside of Thailand saying that your insurance plan covers and meets what is in Thai law, will never happen.  Legally its a dead dog and a turd.  Lawsuits will abound if they do not live up to what Thailand wants, and the folks are denied coverage here by the Insurance company from abroad.

Not so sure. I think we have to contact an international lawyer to be sure about this crucial point.

Because Thailand is in an international business process and relationship. All countries who go with an international contractual business has to follow an international compatible law. It is not so simple as you are thinking right now.

So much more for insurance...

And so, i'm not stupid and i think no one is. No one will paid 3 times up for something they can get better easier and for a better quality and service,  and also a Thai insurance... not be sure in case of problem to get money from insurance because of people are not (or don't want) to understand English language at this time of the story.

Let's see, but i tell you already: an other one failed story time is coming there.

Edited by jerolamo

And what if a foreigner is covered under Thai health cover by way of their work or having a spouse who is a civil servant - I amlready get government health cover via the latter. 

I don't see such insurance lasing forever, as covid will be done with in the next few years. But a general insurance requirement may well be required over the long term for tourists. I imagine that this covid insurance may well evolve into general insurance civer for all foreigners entering Thailand. That won't help the TAT's numbers.