Butter, Margarine or Fat Spread - What is the healthier option?

ravip

3 minutes ago, Farang99 said:
On 10/25/2020 at 9:56 AM, impulse said:

I'm still waiting for the day they tell us the perfect health food is a greasy double cheeseburger with extra fried onions and mushrooms.

But for a perfect healthy balance it should be accompanied by a pint of good beer or a decent bottle of wine.

Right after sex with gorgeous twins.

May as well dream big...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2020 at 10:37 PM, connda said:

Ghee which is clarified butter is the best.

What ingredient does the clarifying process remove? I was led to believe it was the milk solids and the fats stay in it.

23 hours ago, eezergood said:

The closer to nature the better, therefore in this case use butter 

Is olive oil, or sunflower, or rice bran oils not closer to nature. They have not been processed by a cow!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is olive oil, or sunflower, or rice bran oils not closer to nature. They have not been processed by a cow!

I suggest you look at the process of extracting the oil from most of these plants - milk is a natural process of the cow, butter is the least processed of the readily available spreads that we may wish to place on bread. One can even make a simple "butter" by hand from cream

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 9:05 PM, ravip said:

I was reading through some articles about Butter, Margarine and Fat Spread.

Going back in time, Butter was the favourite. Then came margarine - offered as a healthier option to the beloved butter!

And now comes the 'fat spread', slowly pushing the margarine out!

So... what could be considered the 'healthier' option for our daily bread?

And why?

Butter is made of cream.

Margarine is made of first liquid vegetable oil (mostly cheap soy).

Can you imagine what kind of additives must be used to convert it

into a spread, not mentioning the process.

Now you decide.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 9:05 PM, ravip said:

I was reading through some articles about Butter, Margarine and Fat Spread.

Going back in time, Butter was the favourite. Then came margarine - offered as a healthier option to the beloved butter!

And now comes the 'fat spread', slowly pushing the margarine out!

So... what could be considered the 'healthier' option for our daily bread?

And why?

Does it really matter?

Personally I eat what I like, in this case butter.

By now it is easy to find lots of articles explaining why this or that food is bad.

If you like butter find your article which supports your choice. And if you like the taste of Margarine I am sure it's easy to find the supporting article... 

18 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Go back to  beef dripping ( cooked fat ) spread over your bread

If really posh toss some tomato sauce on it.

No doubt a few old farts like me remember what it was like

Coming home from school Monday afternoon, beef dripping collected from the Sunday roast.

Sibling rivalry was strong back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

One molecule away from plastic is very close to the mark. Margarine is, like plastic, a left over from oil refining.

Margarine is composed of various vegetable oils such as canola, sunflower, olive oil etc. It is kept solid by adding materials such as milk powder, glyceryl tristearate, water and emulsifiers.

The misinformation that margarine is one step away from plastic probably comes from the fact that the aforementioned oils are unsaturated, and hence can be polymerised. Saturated fats cannot.

One can see plenty of health advice indicating polyunsaturated oils are recommended in diets, haven't seen too many recommending the saturated fats in butter.

Some posters here need to do a course in organic chemistry, so they don't post claptrap.

8 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Unless you are a shill ,you are uninformed , Butter is far more healthy than other <deleted> spreads that get pushed at you.

Ask my friend who shovelled the krap down his throat as he thought it was better than butter, he just had a triple heart bypass, I eat Butter and have no problems at all, Marge is a total lie.

I was a chemist at Unilever, I know what goes into margarine, and the composition of butter. Perhaps you could post your superior experience and academic qualifications.

Obviously, you don't consider genetic predisposition to be a factor in heart disease.