Property sector calls on government to change visa regulations to stimulate economy

webfact

How stupid are Thai government officials? Want me to buy house but can't get a visa to stay in that house??

Totally ridiculous. Need to play chickengame with one year visas to extend until they change the rules and suddenly refuse to extend or set the bar that high that nonody wants to extend anymore....

Why can't buy land as a foreigner? Racist xenophobic Thais want our money but want to not give almost anything in return.

There is a rule, you provide a trustworthy environment with wellworking protective laws and you get foreign investments. Or you only get short term high risk and high revenue investments from those who make quick money and run into safety.

Thais seem to not understand that foreigner's money doesen't come alone but only as a package WITH the foreigner together. And it is not free. The need to give a value in exchange for our money.

It looks like Thais suggest many new ideas how to get foreign money but just seem to not undersand that they need to give something in return, all the time same pointless offers that don't substantially improve anything for foreigners... Maybe they should stop thinking that they can outsmart us and that we are THAT much stupid like they were permanently told in their schools and in the media.

Good luck failed country of the proud Thai !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

They try... Then you see stories about Chinese using nominees to get over the 50k USD limit and using all sorts of other mechanisms. 

Some countries, like Australia, perform rigorous source of funds reviews to discourage illicit money. Thailand is most certainly not one of them. 

And the Chinese are still able to buy in Oz, as well as the USA.  

29 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Unlike you, i haven't read evrything yet

however the little part that i read allows me to

write that your answer is largely a caricature of the reality

Only by a little bit...okay maybe two and a half dozen; repeated every 9 months as new members join.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The poster commented that getting visas has become more complicated over the years so "the majority" of foreigners have left Thailand. I observed that nothing much has changed for those who qualify...only the workarounds for those who never did have become more complicated (and expensive).

My family VISA extension is way more complicated than my Non-O.

They even asked the names of my parents for the family extension.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, onebir said:

China isn't even doing that much covid testing (tests/1m population ranks 84th of 197 countries reporting).

Agree. A person has to really be willfully blind to trust anything that comes out of China. I mean, their trustworthiness was suspect for decades. But, now? After they have nearly collapsed the whole world... Still people trust them? Wild 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My family VISA extension is way more complicated than me Non-O.

The poster was comparing like visas (I assume) not different visa categories. Providing two names is some great complication...what, did you forget them?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

Agree. A person has to really be willfully blind to trust anything that comes out of China. I mean, their trustworthiness was suspect for decades. But, now? After they have nearly collapsed the whole world... Still people trust them? Wild 

I guess China (and the rest of the world) should be testing for smallpox too...because how will we really know if its been wiped out unless we continually test everyone for it.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The poster was comparing like visas (I assume) not different visa categories. Providing two names is some great complication...what, did you forget them?

I'm not quite there yet but another couple of years and they'll probably be gone.

If I manage to live that long ........ Cancer Vs Dementia ...... it's a race to the finish line, nearly there. 

Back to the VISA.

1 year ME Non-O to visit family Vs 1 year VISA extension to visit family .......... not that different IMHO.

Along with 4 pages of photo copies Vs 76 pages of photo copies and a lot of intrusive questioning.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Imagine what it would sound like if you were from Birmingham, Yorkshire or Glasgow just to mention a few places !

Or Peterhead in Scotland.

I lived not far away and even after 10 years, I couldn't understand a word ????

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Now they were pressing the government to offer long stay privileges for those who invest 5 million baht in property so that they could get visas of one year duration renewable five times. 

Those who invested 10 million baht would be able to stay twice as long, according to the plans. 

My first thought was who knows when our last 5 years are.  Divide any condo purchase price by 5 yesrs and just rent.  Who buys something with an unknown end circumstance?   Thai rules change so much there is no trust at all.  Its looking like there is going to be social unrest or a new government.  Chinese  already here and in control are ready to move all there relatives in.   If you lived in China how desperate would you be to get out.   Just the other day they caught Chinese trying to smuggle millions in cash across the border.  Spidermike has lost his way even.   My man!!

Yes come  to thailand and buy condo, you can use it for 5 years.   Then we kick you out.   

All you guys retired in Thailand who think your so protected and you  ridicule those who use different visas or worry about the future. One day soon they  may come for you.  You better have a plan  B. 

More bad news for the Forum China-bashers...it looks like the Thais can probably sell a lot of their newfangled Baht 30M and 10M condo visas...a even more of these little piker B 5M visas to another bunch of IPO Chinese millionaires and billionaires. Westerners need not apply. 

Ant Group to raise $34.5 billion, valuing it at over $313 billion, in biggest IPO of all time 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/26/ant-group-to-raise-tktk-billion-in-biggest-ipo-of-all-time.html

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, moontang said:

I wish people would give up on the counting balcony light method of real estate economics.  There are 50 motorbikes in the lot for every balcony light on.

True

50 people, living in 2x28m2 mansions.

10 hours ago, Pravda said:

Why is the same condo in Thai name 5 million and foreign name 7 million? 

I thought there is no dual pricing on condos. This is directly from developer. 

And where was this if you dont mind expanding on your observation ?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My family VISA extension is way more complicated than my Non-O.

Should have said: I don't know. Not thinking to much.

They get away with it.

19 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

More bad news for the Forum China-bashers...it looks like the Thais can probably sell a lot of their newfangled Baht 30M and 10M condo visas...a even more of these little piker B 5M visas to another bunch of IPO Chinese millionaires and billionaires. Westerners need not apply. 

Ant Group to raise $34.5 billion, valuing it at over $313 billion, in biggest IPO of all time 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/26/ant-group-to-raise-tktk-billion-in-biggest-ipo-of-all-time.html

Yeah, I'm sure Jack Ma will come to Pattaya and buy Walking Street because it's so Hi-So.

21 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Or this one ????

https://www.thaienquirer.com/19966/opinion-a-missed-opportunity-as-new-japanese-prime-minister-visits-neighbours-but-not-thailand/

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Elkski said:

My first thought was who knows when our last 5 years are.  Divide any condo purchase price by 5 yesrs and just rent.  Who buys something with an unknown end circumstance?   Thai rules change so much there is no trust at all.  Its looking like there is going to be social unrest or a new government.  Chinese  already here and in control are ready to move all there relatives in.   If you lived in China how desperate would you be to get out.   Just the other day they caught Chinese trying to smuggle millions in cash across the border.  Spidermike has lost his way even.   My man!!

Yes come  to thailand and buy condo, you can use it for 5 years.   Then we kick you out.   

All you guys retired in Thailand who think your so protected and you  ridicule those who use different visas or worry about the future. One day soon they  may come for you.  You better have a plan  B. 

20 years in Thailand (including an economic crash and a couple coups under my belt)...the last 5 on retirement extensions; my Plan B...another 20 years of easy living.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, purcho said:

And where was this if you dont mind expanding on your observation ?

I'll tell you if you donate to my TripAdvisor fund. 

In any case they mentioned something about foreign quota being full, but magically its not at the higher price. 

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yeah, I'm sure Jack Ma will come to Pattaya and buy Walking Street because it's so Hi-So.

No seen many 10-30M condos in Pattaya...lots in Bangkok, however. I mean every Chinese billionaire needs a place to stash his Thai mia noi. 

12 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I think the visa rules are more than fair as they are at the moment, however condo ownership should allow the owner to be eligible for a temporary Non-Immigrant visa upon production of authentic ownership papers. This of course can be extended and renewed annually based on legitimate and eligible circumstance; retirement, marriage etc.

Owning a condo, regardless of cost should not be entitlement to stay in Thailand perennially.

I would hate to see mass immigration without integration in Thailand as we have seen in the West.

It would turn out to be a backdoor for mass Chinese immigration and money laundering activities.

They don't need backdoors for mass Chinese immigration and money laundering when that's all done up front. What they do need though is a little integration into the rest of the world. Unless, of course, you're hoping to get back to the times of hansum man who loved by all thai lady.