More than 100 foreigners ripped off for 5 million baht+ in education visa scam

rooster59

5 hours ago, johncat1 said:

This scam has been going on for years. It was legit at the beginning but foreigners were just signing up then never attending classes, so the government put a stop to it. This was just a way to extent your stay it had nothing to do with teaching.  

i and the rest of the class was attending

7 minutes ago, scammed said:

ok, that sounds like a new type of visa,

Was news to me until I saw it mentioned on here a day or so ago so looked it up e.g. https://chiangmaibuddy.com/1-year-non-o-volunteer-visa/ (looks a bit dodgy to me as other sites say it's a 90 day Non-O).

Not sure how that'd work in the current circumstances (think when I saw it on here someone was asking about changing visa without leaving LOS) but could worth investigating for someone that needs it and running out of options.

True Thainess, make everything possible to keep the only fast-cash source out of the country by not letting in tourists = weakens the domestic economy, creates economic fear and hence dependance on goverment increases.

Those still in the country and willing to stay in the country are skinned alive financially. 

Just to remind all of them; the internet is also accessible OUTside Thailand and such news is exactly, what you need for the next nail into Thai coffin ........ 

On 10/31/2020 at 2:14 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Yet another scam ripping off foreigners, which the cops are "investigating." If the shoe had been on the other foot and a foreigner had ripped off that many Thais, one suspects said farang would have been arrested already, amid much pomp and chest puffing for the cameras. I somehow doubt these folks will ever be reunited with their cash in full.

They should have stuck to a more reputable language school like the one in Lamai - Samui Language School

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

True Thainess, make everything possible to keep the only fast-cash source out of the country by not letting in tourists = weakens the domestic economy, creates economic fear and hence dependance on goverment increases.

Those still in the country and willing to stay in the country are skinned alive financially. 

Just to remind all of them; the internet is also accessible OUTside Thailand and such news is exactly, what you need for the next nail into Thai coffin ........ 

That coffin is already full of nails

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

How did that work out for you? You don't sound like a happy camper!

Happy as Larry as it ‘append. Simply no sympathy for a grunge of pretend students living off the bank of mom and pop.  Welcome to the real world of in LOScammers

There are many that seem to be happy about others misfortune and making a lot of assumptions about the intentions of the people involved.

Is taking an in-person language classes (for both reading/writing and speaking Thai) not a viable reason for an education visa? Not everyone interested is a member of the party and drug  crowd nor interested in sleeping with Thai bar girls. Some of us just have a fascination (from afar) with Thailand and it’s beauty and culture.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, BTSMatthew said:

There are many that seem to be happy about others misfortune and making a lot of assumptions about the intentions of the people involved.

Is taking an in-person language classes (for both reading/writing and speaking Thai) not a viable reason for an education visa? Not everyone interested is a member of the party and drug  crowd nor interested in sleeping with Thai bar girls. Some of us just have a fascination (from afar) with Thailand and it’s beauty and culture.

Nearly fooled me with that one - I was just about to slate you until I saw the 'Newbie' tag and that it was your first post.  Nice try at stirring up a hornet's nest - sadly you failed.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2020 at 12:26 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Milk of human kindness flowing freely then?

What is it about people having problems with visas which so delights so many on TVF?

Maybe because most either make bad decisions based on lack of planning/forward thinking or are trying to stay via illegal means instead of accepting their host country's visa law and going home?

On 11/1/2020 at 12:36 AM, shy coconut said:

If they were a reputable and we'll established school, why did they not provide the visa

or give a refund? 

It seems a little odd that so many applied for this visa in a relatively short period of time

although I don't know how many schools offer courses compatible with visa requirements

on the Island.

It's commonly called clutching at straws.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:38 PM, andre47 said:

สมน้ำหน้า

These foreigners wanted to scam the Thai visa rules. Now they got scammed themselves...

No  they did not. They were told by the school that it could be done, so the people assumed that it would be legal , coming from the school.  Can't you understand that, or do you believe that everything organised by Thai authority is a scam. I guess its a way of life with you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2020 at 2:12 PM, Ventenio said:

same trap every year but a little different and AGAIN this "cheap" place becomes expensive for some.   they save 10 baht here, save 5 baht here, live in shack for 100 baht, eat 18 baht of rice....THEN get scammed for 40,000!!!!  OMG   

i had an ED Visa before but I used my brain and picked the right place.  no problems, everything professional, years ago.  

i'm sure none of these farangs can speak Thai and only want to drink and party and drink and party and drink and party....

I want the company to sue them for defamation or the refund will be 1 satang and they get a wai and their picture.  

Odds of getting back all their money?      OMG I'll laugh all day

Only a nasty selfish , person would laugh and make fun of others misfortune no matter how it came about. I am glad that i don't have any such maggots in my list of friends.

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2020 at 2:08 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Wrong tree ????????   They were enrolling in a course for 40,000 baht and getting an Ed Visa - it's a common method for many to prolong their stay in Thailand. 

A nice little money earner for an unscrupulous business capitalising on the desperation of people who are unable to carry out visa runs while Thailand remains under Emergency Decree - there will be many, many more.

Were they told that all the positions were on Koh Pangan, they could have expected to be sent all over Thailand.

• Confused 1

On 10/31/2020 at 6:04 PM, richard_smith237 said:

These people deserved to get scammed ????

How does someone ‘scam’ visa rules ? - they were paying money to obtain an Ed Visa - its a grey area, much like those who pay more money to obtain a Thai Elite Visa to stay here - these people are scamming no one and ensuring they stay here legally, albeit within a grey area of the regulations. 

They were lied to and ripped off, scammed of their money - that is quite different. No one deserves this. Only an idiot who enjoys seeing others suffer would suggest they deserved to lose money. 

The Thais are the scammers in this case, but that seems to be second nature in Thailand.  Its not an idiot that enjoys seeing others scammed of their money, but the "lower than a snakes belly" members of the community.

• Haha 1