Early U.S. voting surges to new record as Trump, Biden make late push

rooster59

20 hours ago, mr mr said:

can you imagine if the don actually wins ? o man the entertainment it will provide will be glorious. a few posters on here will look rather silly. 

Just like four years ago. When so many were going to rush to Canada. Being Canadian, I’m glad the borders are closed this time. Hopefully a few less people will be talking silly.  I just don’t think I can stand another four years of late night talk show. They used up all the good material in the first week.

19 hours ago, placeholder said:

To be truly democratic would mean that them what gets the most votes wins. As Trump supporters are fond of pointing out the USA is a repunlic not a democracy.

Obama had eight years to change the rules. Never did. You can’t blame Trump for that - can you?

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

They all have the same power within their state, then each state all has the same power within the union.  That's perfectly fair.

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

And as a consequence the people in the more populous states have less power in the union. You can't have it both ways.

yes.  yes, you can have it both ways!

youse guys are mistaken about the makeup of the electoral college.  it's NOT equal representation among states.  each state gets two electors, one for each senator to ensure they have some representation.  they then get additional electors, one for each house member, to allow increased representation for states with larger populations.

high population states like california have 55 electors, while low-density wyoming has only three.  if it were purely a popular mob-rule democracy, the candidates would pander only to new york texas and california - completely ignoring flyover country.  at least this way they have to at least pretend they give a **** about the rest.

crazy?  you try forming a country out of sovereign states that don't want to yield all their power to a central government, or be overpowered by larger neighbors.  who would sign up for that?

the distribution of electoral votes changes every ten years following the national census, which is one reason some want to exclude non-citizens from the count.  states with high numbers of non-citizens counted in the population get more representatives in congress, and more votes in the electoral college.

The college is made up of the members of the U.S. House of Representative and the U.S. Senate, plus three votes for the District of Columbia (courtesy of the 23rd amendment).  There are currently 435 members of the House and 100 members of the Senate for a total of 538 electors.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna26628782

votes-college-state.jpg

https://www.britannica.com/topic/United-States-Electoral-College-Votes-by-State-1787124

11 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

BS.

That's exactly what he said.  You should see what numerous others that worked directly for him said.  The best?  Rex Tillerson's "he's a moron".  That's on tape.

7 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Nigel Farage places eye-watering bet on Donald Trump to win US election 2020

NIGEL FARAGE has put a £10,000 bet for Donald Trump to win the US election next Tuesday as he attacked Michael Cohen for betting on Joe Biden.

Hardly one to pay attention to.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/nigel-farage-thanks-trump-for-brexit-at-republican-reelection-rally-4559422

2 hours ago, PolarAttack said:

Obama had eight years to change the rules. Never did. You can’t blame Trump for that - can you?

Do some research.  Republicans had control of congress for part of his tenure and blocked literally everything he tried to pass.  Politics at it's worst.

• Like 2

Great, perhaps irreparable harm has been done to my country in the last four years.  The question before voters is whether they will accept more of the same or opt for, at best, a slim opportunity to slowly, very slowly, recover over the next decade or more. 

Both the people who voted for Trump and the ones who didn't bother to vote against him committed grievous errors. That's just too many people demonstrating poor judgment for me have any faith in America's future now. The fact that Biden even has to campaign does not auger well; the outcome should be a foregone conclusion. 

Either way it goes I've made the decision to liquidate my assets in America and invest them elsewhere. I'm making my last stand in Thailand. 

9 minutes ago, PattayaJames said:

It will most likely look like violence, rioting, looting and burning from the left as they throw a giant hissy fit. 

Nay, you so wrong. Rightists Republicans and leaning Republicans owns more firearms than leftists Dem and Dem leaning. In fact almost double like 44% 20%. More guns more violence. Guilty as charged. 

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Nay, you so wrong. Rightists Republicans and leaning Republicans owns more firearms than leftists Dem and Dem leaning. In fact almost double like 44% 20%. More guns more violence. Guilty as charged. 

I really do not see what that has to do with it? 

Republicans are not out on mass shooting the place up, nor will they be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You have any examples of right wing riots from the last few years? Looting and burning property, not just protesting

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Your article is from May 2019 and proves my point. 

There are no actual examples, all you can provide is a hit piece incorrectly predicting violence from the right.

Meanwhile the left have been running riot for months. 

2 hours ago, PattayaJames said:

Your article is from May 2019 and proves my point. 

There are no actual examples, all you can provide is a hit piece incorrectly predicting violence from the right.

Meanwhile the left have been running riot for months. 

Are you discounting the extreme right provoking unrest in the protests?

16 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Anyone know what time of day in Thailand the results will start coming in? I am guessing around 6 AM on the 4th for us. Too early for popcorn, unless you stay up all night.

There's a good chance we won't know for several days as there are a lot of mail in ballots to count.  They key states are Florida and Pennsylvania.  Florida should have early results.  A Biden win means it's over.  Pretty much same for PA, but might not know for several days.

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Fail. No property damage, just some good ol' boys getting in a fight. Its hardly burning neighborhoods down and setting up autonomous zones.

Hmm...let's see.  Right wing group planning to kidnap the governor of Michigan.  A stunning event in American history.  Another right wing group planning the same in Virginia.

A right wing group goes to Wisconsin from Illinois, armed to the teeth, and a 17 year old kills somebody.

I could go on and on.  Stunning you don't see this.  MAGA!!!  Blah...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/09/18/white-supremacists-domestic-terrorists-pose-biggest-threat-of-lethal-violence-this-election-dhs-assessment-finds/?sh=2ada7bda4287

White Supremacists, Domestic Terrorists Pose Biggest Threat Of ‘Lethal Violence’ This Election, DHS Assessment Finds

As the Trump administration continues to publicly downplay the role of the far-right in inciting violence, a recent Department of Homeland Security assessment leaked to The Nation describes “lone offender white supremacist extremists” as posing “the greatest threat of lethal violence” in the 2020 election.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Fail. No property damage, just some good ol' boys getting in a fight. Its hardly burning neighborhoods down and setting up autonomous zones.

The Looting and Rioting of the Left will not be forgotten, regardless of who is in the white-house for the next 4 years.  Pathetic and un-American.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

The Looting and Rioting of the Left will not be forgotten, regardless of who is in the white-house for the next 4 years.  Pathetic and un-American.

Agreed!  And the violent actions of the right, and the complicity of the GOP with regards to these actions, will also not be forgotten.  Oh...along with the GOP's support of a president who lied to us and caused the deaths of thousands.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed!  And the violent actions of the right, and the complicity of the GOP with regards to these actions, will also not be forgotten.  Oh...along with the GOP's support of a president who lied to us and caused the deaths of thousands.

Not sure what they are going to do about it?  Liberals around here are jobless and toothless.  My ranch is fortified and paid off.  My investments are offshore.  I pay 750.00 per year in Taxes.  They can double that.  ???? LOL .  Bring it.

• Sad 1

On 11/1/2020 at 1:02 AM, placeholder said:

Oh, so now it's image that's important and not substance? Anyway, as a massive Pew Poll shows, positivity of the rest of the world's opinion of American declined precipitously under Donald Trump. He is less highly regarded than even Xi of China. I believe that the only 2 nations polled that were exceptions to this were Israel and Russia.

But,

"the United States continues to be the most popular destination for immigrants. Achieving the “American Dream” is still a major factor for many families, individuals, and entrepreneurs around the globe. As you may imagine, a better quality of life, increased job opportunities, and financial stability are some of the main reasons for immigrating to the U.S."

US is still the number 1 preferred destination for migrants.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/11/these-are-the-countries-migrants-want-to-move-to/

https://www.aantlaw.com/top-5-countries-highest-immigration-rates/

6 minutes ago, xofswen said:

But,

"the United States continues to be the most popular destination for immigrants. Achieving the “American Dream” is still a major factor for many families, individuals, and entrepreneurs around the globe. As you may imagine, a better quality of life, increased job opportunities, and financial stability are some of the main reasons for immigrating to the U.S."

US is still the number 1 preferred destination for migrants.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/11/these-are-the-countries-migrants-want-to-move-to/

https://www.aantlaw.com/top-5-countries-highest-immigration-rates/

A 2017 poll for the position of the US in 2020. Sure mate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Not sure what they are going to do about it?  Liberals around here are jobless and toothless.  My ranch is fortified and paid off.  My investments are offshore.  I pay 750.00 per year in Taxes.  They can double that.  ???? LOL .  Bring it.

Liberals?  Come on.  Have you seen the videos of Trump's supporters?  Jobless and toothless for sure.

Typical of alt right conservatives.  Bash Liberals and the left, but give their side a pass on the same BS.