Average price of golf in the USA...for comparison with Thailand

Berkshire

I found this to be a tad surprising as a round on your typical muni should be less.  But hey, this is according to the National Golf Foundation...

[According to recently released greens fee data for October from the National Golf Foundation, the average cost for an 18-hole round of golf with a cart on the weekend was $61 nationally.]

https://golf.com/news/data-golf-round-cheaper-than-average/?utm_campaign=forecast&utm_source=golf.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content={date(&utm_term=Forecast Newsletter

$61 is around 1,890 bt.  So if you're paying less than that in Thailand, you're doing better than average compared to the USA....according to the NGF. 

It depends on where you go. I've played golf on a public course in New Orleans for $30. I've also paid $450 for a round at La Cantera in San Antonio, and was disappointed by being pulled back to the clubhouse after 12 holes because tornado cells were rolling in. No discount or refund was offered.

OTOH, I've played for free at Pine Valley, because I was a guest. One can't get on there with money alone.

I do get cheesed off when golf clubs in Thailand are jacking up their prices for high season. There is no high season, there are no tourists. The numbnut managers don't realize it is the caddies that suffer when golfers go elsewhere.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A better comparison is an annual membership which normally includes unlimited golf vs annual golf in Thailand, certainly in the UK its about 7-10 times cheaper than Thailand

Valid point, I am done with memberships. I just pay as I go.

• Like 1

There are plenty of annual memberships in Thailand that include unlimited golf.

From my experience they are much cheaper here then in anything in the US.

There is usually some type of initiation fee required to join these clubs in the US and most have a monthly fee attached. 

The US has some unlimited golf with one annual fee but there is usually some type of cart fee or a minimal required monthly club fee for food and beverage, etc.

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

There is usually some type of initiation fee required to join these clubs in the US and most have a monthly fee attached. 

The US has some unlimited golf with one annual fee but there is usually some type of cart fee or a minimal required monthly club fee for food and beverage, etc.

If true that would explain why you Americans bang on about how cheap golf in Thailand is. In UK and I think Australia also unlimited annual golf can be around 40,000 baht, no compulsory cart, or caddy or caddy tip or additional fees

• Like 1

My wife and I each own a share in our local golf club. Each share cost about 360,000thb when we bought some twelve years ago now. It covers the Green fee. We pay a maintenance fee of 500thb every two years. The selling price for the share now is just about what we paid.

For us it has been a good deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAS21 said:

My wife and I each own a share in our local golf club. Each share cost about 360,000thb when we bought some twelve years ago now. It covers the Green fee. We pay a maintenance fee of 500thb every two years. The selling price for the share now is just about what we paid.

Every time you play you pay caddy fee? around 400 baht? caddy tip around 400 baht? mandatory cart 600 baht?

Paying an annual fee makes more sense to me rather than a one off share

13 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I think you would find you are in for a shock if you actually listed one of your shares for sale. The trend on golf shares is downwards due to oversupply.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Every time you play you pay caddy fee? around 400 baht? caddy tip around 400 baht? mandatory cart 600 baht?

Paying an annual fee makes more sense to me rather than a one off share

Well have had the shares since 2007...that is about 13 years. So multiply (whatever) annual fee you are considering by 13 and see what you get. And we still have the initial investment as in post above. But yes, you make a good point. In the past we  try  and play three times a week

It costs far more to play golf in Thailand than the UK. When we left out joint annual membership was just £1600/year. Didn't need to have  a caddy or buggy. So biggest cost was balls!!!!

there's a small course that gave me a membership

Augusta

can you put a price on that?  it's not all the money..... you could compare the price of steak in Thailand to America, but will it really taste the same?  same quality of beef?  

25 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

there's a small course that gave me a membership

Augusta

can you put a price on that?  it's not all the money..... you could compare the price of steak in Thailand to America, but will it really taste the same?  same quality of beef?  

Not Augusta, but has its own cachet. More members off single figures than any other golf club in Australia. Three courses, designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr, Greg Norman, and Peter Thomson.

https://www.nationalgolf.com.au/cms/

Courses in Texas are generally $35-45 including cart for seniors during the week as play is not heavy and they want play and people to spend for catering.  This year however is different with the pandemic and many people playing during the week as not going into offices.  Once work routines return to the old ways it will be quiet again during the weekdays. 

Please publish if you come across any good deals on golf membership in chiang mai area during this COVID 19 period .

I’ve been playing using the local promotions during COVID  which I am sure will end as soon as tourists return . So I have been checking their membership prices currently but noticed they have not budged at all on their membership prices.

So  play as I go rates today and hope their promotions will continue for sometime until I find a good membership deal.

Thanks 

Prices in Thailand include a caddy. Most muni courses in the US do not even offer a caddy.

I'm 73 and like to walk a course (if it's flat. lol) but I do not want to have to push my clubs around on a push cart. I actually enjoy having a caddy. Most are good golfers and know the course you are playing and have helpful hints. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I'd be interested in any golf courses 30 Km around Pattaya with unlimited golf without additional costs

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If true that would explain why you Americans bang on about how cheap golf in Thailand is. In UK and I think Australia also unlimited annual golf can be around 40,000 baht, no compulsory cart, or caddy or caddy tip or additional fees

one has to be fair though and compare courses of equal quality.

sure, it's possible to golf on the cheap in Europe too, but course quality and maintenance usually isn't up to par (excuse the pun)... overgrown roughs, hard and uneven greens that aren't mowed every day, fairways with dead grass...

5 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

Please publish if you come across any good deals on golf membership in chiang mai area during this COVID 19 period .

I’ve been playing using the local promotions during COVID  which I am sure will end as soon as tourists return . So I have been checking their membership prices currently but noticed they have not budged at all on their membership prices.

So  play as I go rates today and hope their promotions will continue for sometime until I find a good membership deal.

Thanks 

I recommend Haripunchai in Lamphun, 1000 baht with caddie and cart, not including caddie tip. Take passport or Thai driving licence. Only nine holes; however, the standard of fairways, greens and bunkers is as good as anything to be found in the north. PM me if you want directions, it's a bit tricky to find.

Can't help with memberships, to me they are overpriced.

1 hour ago, tgw said:

one has to be fair though and compare courses of equal quality.

sure, it's possible to golf on the cheap in Europe too, but course quality and maintenance usually isn't up to par (excuse the pun)... overgrown roughs, hard and uneven greens that aren't mowed every day, fairways with dead grass...

Not where I played in the UK, open qualifier course, all 3 courses I was a member of was well maintained unlike Thai courses. Bunkers not raked, lazy caddies and green staff not weeding the fairways, inconsistent grass all over the courses. Then there's the club houses often run down, such as Pattavia, lovely course and a dive of a new club house not maintained where the showers don't work properly

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

where the showers don't work properly

When was the last time you played there - since by your own admission you only now play the non caddie Navy courses?

I was aware they were/are lacking a little maintenance but since return from Covid I don't remember a non working shower. They have certainly never been as bad as Great Lakes/Kings Naga........

9 minutes ago, topt said:

When was the last time you played there - since by your own admission you only now play the non caddie Navy courses?

I was aware they were/are lacking a little maintenance but since return from Covid I don't remember a non working shower. They have certainly never been as bad as Great Lakes/Kings Naga........

Two years-ish ago but it was clear at Pattavia that they had no intention of maintaining the showers, you know, wall brackets broken so head flops about, some with broken water heater, floors filthy. I called the manager over once, he said sorry loads of times and sodded off and did FA, Thai style. Are they all good now? 

9 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

Green Valley CC. is 1000 b all in now.  

They have some membership specials also.

Of course with the majority of these places in Thailand there is a caddie tip.

Although it is a common courtesy, I guess if bothers a person or they are a total cheap charlie or and can't afford the 10 bucks, then don't leave one or don't play.

Edited by bkk6060

On 11/2/2020 at 4:40 PM, Berkshire said:

$61 is around 1,890 bt.  So if you're paying less than that in Thailand, you're doing better than average compared to the USA....according to the NGF.

USA  no caddie and Thailand includes caddie .. good caddies will

help you understand the course and helps IMO

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:
On 11/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, Berkshire said:

USA  no caddie and Thailand includes caddie .. good caddies will

help you understand the course and helps IMO

Most of us who grew up in the west may have gotten used to not having a caddie.  But I personally enjoy having a caddie around and don't mind paying for it.  There was a couple of courses in CM that had a COVID promo where golfers could decide not to employ a caddie.  A couple of my friends went without caddies and boy, did they slow us down.  But people need to understand that we're not paying for PGA-level caddies.  Mostly, it's someone to clean our clubs/balls, fill in divots, rake bunkers, mark our balls on the green, and generally cater to our basic needs.  And if she happens to be a cutie, well, certainly doesn't hurt.

• Thanks 1