Phuket post-COVID recovery must be more than tourism: Deputy PM

webfact

Phuket post-COVID recovery must be more than tourism: Deputy PM

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1604382701_1-org.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Don Pramudwinai, who also serves as Thailand’s Minister of Foreign Affairs. spoke to the press after the official opening of the Phuket Passport Office at Central Festival Phuket last night (Nov 2). Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Deputy Prime Minister Don Pramudwinai, who also serves as Thailand’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, has called for Phuket’s post-COVID recovery to target key areas other than tourism.

Speaking at the official opening of the Phuket Passport Office now located at Central Festival Phuket last night (Nov 2), Deputy PM Don told The Phuket News that Phuket’s tourism industry remained the island’s fastest track to recovery, but strongly noted that other key sectors should also be developed to broaden Phuket’s economic base.

Mr Don said that he did not expect the mass tourism to return from the Chinese market, or any other market, for some time.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-post-covid-recovery-must-be-more-than-tourism-deputy-pm-77865.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-11-03

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

Deputy PM Don told The Phuket News that Phuket’s tourism industry remained the island’s fastest track to recovery, but strongly noted that other key sectors should also be developed to broaden Phuket’s economic base.

Seems to me they NEED tourism to DRIVE development in other areas first.

From the full article:

" 'Thailand was at the forefront of countries approving visas for foreigners to stimulate tourism, Mr Don said. 

“For visa approval, we will do that for sure. Thailand is a country that foreigners can enter quite easily. We are friends with many countries,” he said.' "

C'mon Don, what did you smoke for lunch today? Did Anutin pass you a big joint?

Or did Prayut asked you to play Pinocchio for him, this time?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I agree. This country imo would be a lot better off getting away from the 'trash cash' that tourism brings. Being a lot more selective on who you let in here will reduce many of the problems that unchecked tourism brings..

Instead of returning to mass tourism ( won't happen anyway ) , they should focus on the many quality expats who bring their money into Thailand and stay a long time .

Make them feel welcome , less visa regulations , PR for buying a condo , allowing them to own some land , same other countries do ...

Thailand is still a beautiful country with a lot of attractions , make it a safe destination for people who only want to live and spend their money here .

Reduced mass tourism is a good thing .

I vaguely recall a story that appeared in the local media many, many years ago (pre tsunami?) about the ‘last’ manufacturer of products that were destined to be used off the island, I believe the company made electrical components. 

Maybe someone with a better memory than mine can remember this?