"New and transparent" DUI checkpoint system will be subject to public scrutiny, says top cop "Big Manu"

webfact

6 minutes ago, Dellboy218 said:

Pol Col Voravat Amornvivat told Thaivisa that he wanted to reassure the expat community. "Making all foreigners in Thailand carry their original passports with them would be very difficult," he said. "It's about being reasonable and using common sense."

He said tourists would not have to carry their original passports and expats could use a Thai driving licence if they have one, or a photocopy of their passport as a form of identification.

how are you gonna explain or prove this to a random police officer who can barely understand english? with my experience it is just give 1000 baht or go with them to police station which I believe no one would ever agree to do so. Police officer refused my driving license, soft-copy of my passport and workpermit. are there any legal statement which we can simply show them in case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Pol Col Voravat Amornvivat told Thaivisa that he wanted to reassure the expat community. "Making all foreigners in Thailand carry their original passports with them would be very difficult," he said. "It's about being reasonable and using common sense."

He said tourists would not have to carry their original passports and expats could use a Thai driving licence if they have one, or a photocopy of their passport as a form of identification.

Where was that quote from pls ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a crock of s++t,  international standards, we are talking about the R.T.P. here.????????

They do not conform to any form of standards.

The RTP's standard is the international standard.

According to the RTP :cheesy:

• Haha 1

When one looks into any encyclopedia to find the meaning of "Omnipotence" it should have a photo of a Thai policeman !  We have no rights here whatsoever, and they can extort money from us at will. Usually they will choose late Friday so that one cannot access one's lawyer and they have 3 nights in jail to hang over you as leverage. One time I was sitting outside a bar, minding my own business, when a police pick-up truck pulled in. A policeman, obviously pre-advised, walked up and said "You own a property, therefore you are working. Get in the pick-up" !  (Word for word, very brief). I was then shaken down for 50,000Bht, the alternative being the 3 nights in jail. They are a wonderful bunch of people who can do whatever they please !

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where was that quote from pls ?

Its in the text.....Thai Visa.  In more than 30 years, unless traveling to another province I have never carried my passport, only copies.   I would rather pay any fine than lose my passport.  As a lot of that traveling is on a bike it is always a possibility.  I have never been fined.  I carry a plastic wallet on my bikes and car with copies of my passport, green/blue book insurances etc.

Edited by Dellboy218
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

When one looks into any encyclopedia to find the meaning of "Omnipotence" it should have a photo of a Thai policeman !  We have no rights here whatsoever, and they can extort money from us at will. Usually they will choose late Friday so that one cannot access one's lawyer and they have 3 nights in jail to hang over you as leverage. One time I was sitting outside a bar, minding my own business, when a police pick-up truck pulled in. A policeman, obviously pre-advised, walked up and said "You own a property, therefore you are working. Get in the pick-up" !  (Word for word, very brief). I was then shaken down for 50,000Bht, the alternative being the 3 nights in jail. They are a wonderful bunch of people who can do whatever they please !

I think there will be more background to this that you are choosing not to mention.