Thailand On Alert As Dengue Fever Cases Rise

george

The NIH article said you can get infected by any of 4 types of dengue fever, but only 1 time. Does this mean once you have contracted a type, your body develops immunity to that type? Otis

Yes, I understand that once you have had dengue, you have a resistance to that type only.

I have had dengue twice, once in Singapore and once in Thailand, apparently contracted in Surin during the rainy season.

In the village in Surin where I now live, I understand that khai luat awk (fever-blood-comeout), the haemorrhagic type is much feared as it can kill. The victims are usually children while older people have immunity. I hope I do too now! I think the haemmorraghic type is pretty rare and I haven't had that yet.

Andrew

Caught my dose about 7 years ago on Kho Chang,before there was so much building as now. Point is anyone who goes to Kho chang or anywhere in Trat province should be aware that there is still a lot of jungle there and should take the usual precautions.

Nasty fever Dengue and very important to keep drinking fluids. I remember going through about 5 2ltr bottles a day and never feeling so cold at night in Thailand either before or since.

If possible to get to a hospital you should do so ASAP. If not then make sure you drink loads of fluids. Also the fever and fluid loss will cause an electrolyte imbalance so you need to replace them quickly. The answer is simple eat fruit, lots of as you will benefit from the fluids as well as the nutrients plus the fact that you need to eat and if you are sick it's easier on the system to digest.

The best fruit to eat are coconuts as it is full of goodness and best of all its water is a natural elecrolyte.

There is NO vaccine available to prevent dengue fever,and no Dengue is NOT treatable just the symptoms.More than 100 million cases of dengue fever occur worldwide every year. It's not rife in thailand but is present and believe me it's not to be underestimated.

A small number of these develop into dengue hemorrhagic fever,Early symptoms of dengue hemorrhagic fever are similar to those of dengue fever, but after several days the patient becomes irritable, restless, and sweaty. These symptoms are followed by a shock-like state.

Bleeding may appear as pinpoint spots of blood on the skin (petechiae) and larger patches of blood under the skin (ecchymoses). Bleeding may occur from minor injuries.

Shock may cause death. If the patient survives, recovery begins after a one-day crisis period.

If someone young catches it or someone old I would realy not wait around to find out but get them to a hospital immediately.

My Pharmacy told me to take vitamin B1 berfore I went to LOS as the mozzies do not like that smell....I did just that and the mozzies in Surin avoided me...I saw them hover above my arm then move on...try it, it reqally works

Thailand on alert as dengue fever cases rise

post-128-1178204093_thumb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Ministry of Public Health is on full alert to prevent the spread of dengue fever after the disease claimed four people's lives so far this year, and the number of dengue fever patients nationwide has risen to 6,000.

The focus of the outbreak is in Trat province, 400 km southeast of Bangkok on the Cambodian border, and in the southernmost provinces along the Malaysian border.

Trat has almost five times the frequency of the disease -- 46 patients per 100,000 population -- compared to the national average of 10 per 100,000, according to Public Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla, while Pattani experences 42 per 100,000 and Yala has 33 per 100,000 residents.

Earlier than usual rains has meant that dengue is a greater concern this year than before, Dr. Mongkol said. The insurgency in the far South means that anti-mosquito measures are more difficult to apply.

More breeding grounds for dengue-carrying mosquitoes emerge during the rainy season, he explained, especially in the three southernmost provinces where heavier rainfall contributes to a higher population of mosquitoes than in the country's other regions.

Dr. Mongkol said that the outbreak could become a severe problem in the border provinces as health officials can't implement pro-active strategies to fight the disease due to the ongoing violence.

The number of dengue fever patients is normally higher from May to August due to the rainy season. So far there have been 6,070 dengue fever patients in the first four months of this year.

The nationwide ratio amounted to nearly 10 patients per 100,000 persons in the population, he said. However, almost 1,000 new dengue fever cases have been reported in the past two weeks.

The highest concentration of dengue fever patients was reported in the eastern province of Trat with the ratio of 46:100,000, followed by the southern provinces of Pattani at 42: 100,000 and Yala at 33: 100,000 respectively.

The public health minister said he ordered health officials to work with local authorities to prevent the further spread on any outbreak.

--TNA 2007-05-03

A note on the 4 strings of Dengue-- when my wife and I were in the hospital for it last year, my doctor noted that the protection from the one strain really only lasts a few years, as there are sufficient mutations that you are not expected to be fully protected from it after then. Supposedly, there were predictions that we would be up to 8 different identifiable strains within 5 years or so.

I was also told that it isn't likely that you catch multiple strains at once (areas usually have a single or two dominant strains at a given time), partly because of its self-limiting nature.

Also, while the disease might not be deadly for all but a few cases, it is quite scary. I wasn't allowed to shave, and they were quite concerned about when my wife's period was. Each time you get Dengue, your risk of developing hemorrhagic fever increases exponentially. Because of this, more people getting Dengue more often poses greater long-term risk for the population.

I caught dengue last year in pattaya, it was the most miserable and painful periods in my life, all my joints ached all my muscles ached, a deep depression and the worst part of it was that there is no treatment, it took 12 weeks to clear up and i have had small recurrences ever since maybe 1 or 2 days each time, this apparently was the weakest or less debilitating of the various strains of dengue.

A very horriffic thought is that each time you contract it, it increases in severity finally ending up in a haemorragic type disease similar to ebola, to which there is similarily no treatment and eventually death.

Mosquitos breed in stagnant water, i have ensured that none equists around my house, even down to long lasting puddles on the road, we make sure that we put small fish into any other water collection or pond to eat the larvae. Half a cup of kerosene floats on top of our water supply has the same effect as does a similar amount of salt. we also have UV zappers in each room.

So far so good and since then ,there does seem to be a noticeable decrease in mozzies.

Maybe these precautions seem extreme, but if you are ever a recipient of this disease you will not disagree.

---------------------------

I have also had dengue. Four years ago in Samut Sakorn. Similar symptoms to yours I was in bed for three weeks. For a good part of that time I was dreaming that I was floating on a raft in the ocean, burning up under the sun.

Excrutiating joint and soft tissue pain. I'm not sure what my temperature was but I'm sure it was the highest fever I ever had. My Thai relatives were "taking care" of me. They thought I had SARS.

I tried to explain that it wasn't but it was impossible to convince them.

EVEN THOUGH I'M A PHYSICIAN. Once a Thai doctor made the diagnosis they believed it. No cough duh!

Very,very, nasty. Even worse than ameobic dysentery contracted in 1974 in India which almost killed me...

I caught dengue last year in pattaya, it was the most miserable and painful periods in my life, all my joints ached all my muscles ached, a deep depression and the worst part of it was that there is no treatment, it took 12 weeks to clear up and i have had small recurrences ever since maybe 1 or 2 days each time, this apparently was the weakest or less debilitating of the various strains of dengue.

A very horriffic thought is that each time you contract it, it increases in severity finally ending up in a haemorragic type disease similar to ebola, to which there is similarily no treatment and eventually death.

Mosquitos breed in stagnant water, i have ensured that none equists around my house, even down to long lasting puddles on the road, we make sure that we put small fish into any other water collection or pond to eat the larvae. Half a cup of kerosene floats on top of our water supply has the same effect as does a similar amount of salt. we also have UV zappers in each room.

So far so good and since then ,there does seem to be a noticeable decrease in mozzies.

Maybe these precautions seem extreme, but if you are ever a recipient of this disease you will not disagree.

---------------------------

I have also had dengue. Four years ago in Samut Sakorn. Similar symptoms to yours I was in bed for three weeks. For a good part of that time I was dreaming that I was floating on a raft in the ocean, burning up under the sun.

Excrutiating joint and soft tissue pain. I'm not sure what my temperature was but I'm sure it was the highest fever I ever had. My Thai relatives were "taking care" of me. They thought I had SARS.

I tried to explain that it wasn't but it was impossible to convince them.

EVEN THOUGH I'M A PHYSICIAN. Once a Thai doctor made the diagnosis they believed it. No cough duh!

Very,very, nasty. Even worse than ameobic dysentery contracted in 1974 in India which almost killed me...

Ah yes, amoebic dysentery, I remember it well.....Morroco 1976. The very best delirium money can buy (or not) !!! :o

On 27th April I was out and didn’t have long trousers on or mosquito repellent. I got a few bites maybe four. For a week now I’ve had a sore throat but only on one side though. Every time I swallow it feels like I’m swallowing blunt razor blades.

Last Saturday whilst out I suddenly felt boiling and my head and face was sweaty, I just had to lie down and sleep for about an hour.

The last two nights I have not slept very well. I had the aircon on but woke up later and my chest and neck was wet with sweat. Later on I woke up shivering and had to put a t shirt on to get warm. Then later on I woke up sweating again. My joints and muscles all ache and I feel disoriented, knackered, and like shit! I believe I have a (hopefully just mild) case of dengue fever.

Does anyone else have similar symptoms?

Phil

"According the doctors specialized in tropical diseases that I met, you can't get the same type twice. However, they say that the second infection can be very dangerous."

I just had a reply from a Dr (Medical) who is a researcher into Dengue when I asked her this question and she said you can get the same strain twice but often not the symtom??

I might need to ask for clarification - her English is excellent but its not native

The bit about the 2nd time being normally more severe she confirmed though

Trat reports increasing number of dengue fever cases

Trat province is increasing preventive measures against dengue hemorrhagic fever during the rain season.

The Public Health Physician of Trat, MD. Thongchai Kiratihatayakorn (ธงชัย กีรติหัตถยากร) reports that 103 dengue hemorrhagic fever cases have been reported in the province, constitution 46.83 patients per 100,000 population. Dengue cases may increase due to the rain season, affecting local health and provincial tourism. MD. Thongchai reiterated that all agencies should cooperate in preventing and controlling dengue fever outbreaks.

The Public Health Physician revealed that preventive measures include a public education campaign by local volunteers, a mosquito breeding ground eradication program, and an active surveillance approach by local authorities, health centers, and hospitals. Local administrative organizations are also asked to provide pesticides and chemicals to eradicate local mosquito populations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 May 2007

:o Had it in Chiengmai around 4 years ago...woke up with shards of glass piercing my head and eyes...felt hideoussss...went straight to Chang Mai Ram..after about 20 minutes waiting to see doctor started shivering and asked for a blanket...was immediately admitted, and put on IV drip..took blood, diagnosed with Dengue Hemmoraghic Type..dont remember much of first three days, fever was terrible then noticed small red spots around both ankles...spent 9 days in hospital...was the worst time have experienced..returned later for visit to Australia, saw my doctor, he was alarmed as he said if one is to catch it a second time the odds of fatality were high..I was in my late 50's at the time and he, the doctor was not happy about my returning to Thailand..of course I did and have been back for those 4 years...recommended to wear long trousers and long sleeved shirts and to use repellent...dont muck around if you feel symptoms, fortunately the hospital was quick to diagnose...no idea when or where I was bitten, there is a myth about it being a day time mosquito, did not know that such insects were aware of day and night..my ignorance maybe...I dont live in fear but having been through it I know how terrible it is...you will know if it is just flu as the symptoms are severe and think I was delerious for many days..now living in Bangkok but am aware...my advice is dont wait around to see if you feel better nor self diagnose as the sooner it is dealt with the better off you will be....and of course there is an incubation period...then again one could easily be hit by a motor cyclist or a car within seconds, not to diminish the horrors of dengue fever however.. :D Dukkha

I had dengue about two years ago, the symptoms are severe flu like symptoms, unable to eat and being sick, migrane and small red spots around wrists and ancles. It causes the plateletts in your blood to dramaticaly drop which causes the illness. The doctor told me the platelett count in your blood should be around 200,000, when mine dropped to 40,000 (life threatening) after about 5 days I was ammited into hospital, although there is no cure after spending a few days on a drip I started to feel better and was released after a week and recovered fully a week or so after. According to the doctor, most people do recover but the worst affected are the very young or very old.

People in Ranong are warned of DHF

The Public Health Office of Ranong has warned people in the province of dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).

Since the beginning of 2007 to May 4th, Ranong had encountered 69 patients with this disease. 37 of them were from Muang district, while the remaining patients were from nearby districts, such as Ban Kai, Pluak Daeng, Klaeng, and Wang Chan.

The Public Health Office of Ranong is concerned for the people in Pluak Daeng district because the population there is crowded, allowing the disease to spread more easily.

People with fever or high temperature are advised to meet the doctors soon.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 May 2007