Planned Trip to Jomtien - What to expect ?

allane

We are planning a trip to Jomtien in the second half of this month.What to expect in terms of:

1.  Frequency of bus service from Suwannaphum Airport to Jomtien ?

2   Are beach chair concessions operating as normal ?

3.  What percentage of restaurants are open ?

4.  How are hotel room prices, compared with the normal at this time of year ?  If anyone knows of any possible bargains, you can send me a Private Mail. Looking for something in the B 600 - 1000/night range, 4 or 5 nights, somewhere around Nov.  22 -26, 2020. Some flexibility re exact dates and length of stay.

4 hours ago, allane said:

We are planning a trip to Jomtien in the second half of this month.What to expect in terms of:

4.  How are hotel room prices, compared with the normal at this time of year ?  If anyone knows of any possible bargains, you can send me a Private Mail. Looking for something in the B 600 - 1000/night range, 4 or 5 nights, somewhere around Nov.  22 -26, 2020. Some flexibility re exact dates and length of stay.

1.  Better to go to Mor Chit...departures every hour.  I did take the swampy bus back and it leaves PanPan at 9,12,3.....Ekami is likely as frequent at Mor Chit.

2.  Yes, the beach chair mercenaries are out there, but some of them are more like homeless gathering places..extended families of vendors spending the entire day out there, also reports were that the vagrants were pushed down to Jomtien..so there are some of those in the shade tree areas.  I just go with the open beach, and put a shirt on..up2u.

3.  Hard to give a blanket number..there has been an increase in street vendors, and a decrease in cheap Thai restaurants.  Mall stuff is likely open, but even some maccas and pizza sluts have shuttered.  I went in late Aug, and again late Oct..both to Jomtien..some improvements, lots of devestation.

4.  I like indian run OYO Paradise view under 400 or so. No pool, but so close to the beach..not that often the owner asks me if I slept well, but indeed, I did..Front desk girl had the personality of a bag of fertilizer..but I was busy enjoying the beach.  Abanti was cheap, but it is anything but full service..and had a little argument with them about refusing to clean my room, and giving me an ac they likely knew freezes up every night.  They gave me another room, without tv..but wifi was good.  Ad said daily maid service, that means to me what holiday it is does not cooking matter.

I have always been a fan of the B2 hotel chain, and might give that one at Jomtien a try..so many of the hotels and condos there simply aren't near the beach.  Personally, I will sacrifice quality a little to have great ease buying and transporting cold beers and snacks out to the beach, and access to a restroom, if needed.  

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

1. Go to pattayaairportbus dot com buy ticket in advance my suggestion. Runs every 2 hrs from 10 am til 6 pm.

2. I live here, but don't use chairs etc. Plenty of them are open and operating. Can't speak to them being homeless centers.

3. Many restaurants open, many shut... maybe 50-50? Don't worry, you won't starve. Food carts, cheap joints as well as many Western taste open.

4. Don't know hotel prices, as I live here. Seen a few signs out on street showing some discounts. Should be no problem in your price bracket. Unless dates you want are during some extended Thai holiday, you should be fine.

Not all back to normal but not a wasteland either. Heck, I even got propositioned on walk home. Like swallows to Capistrano sort of thing I reckon

1.  Do NOT go to Mor Chit or Ekamai bus stations.  They deliver you to the Pattaya North Bus Station, which is just about as far from Jomtiem as it is possible to get.  A baht bus from the Pattaya North Bus Station to Jomtiem will cost more than your bus ticket to Pattaya.

Go to the Airport Pattaya Bus (that is an internet link you should open in a new tab) station right there in the Suvarnabhumi Airport on Level 1.  The ticket is 130 Bt, the bus leaves about every two hours, and delivers you to the corner of Thappraya Road and Thep Prasit Road in Jomtiem.  You can catch a baht bus (10 Bt/person) on Thappraya Road 20 feet from the bus station that will take you into Jomtiem along the Jomtiem Beach Road.

2.  There are beach chair vendors operating in Jomtiem.

3.  Many restaurants are open but some are closed.  There are enough open that you won't go hungry.  If you are looking for reasonably good food at reasonable prices try Simple Simon's on Jomtiem Soi 5 about 100 feet inland from Beach Road.

4.  Google for hotels in Jomtiem.  Some are closed but many are still open.  It shouldn't be difficult finding a hotel for less than 1000 Bt/night that is within easy walking distance of the beach or Beach Road where you can catch a baht bus into Pattaya itself.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2020 at 10:54 AM, allane said:

Air B and B is way to go , everything is open mostly snd its busy , cheap as hell rooms 

On 11/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, moontang said:

1.  Better to go to Mor Chit...departures every hour.  I did take the swampy bus back and it leaves PanPan at 9,12,3.....Ekami is likely as frequent at Mor Chit.

2.  Yes, the beach chair mercenaries are out there, but some of them are more like homeless gathering places..extended families of vendors spending the entire day out there, also reports were that the vagrants were pushed down to Jomtien..so there are some of those in the shade tree areas.  I just go with the open beach, and put a shirt on..up2u.

3.  Hard to give a blanket number..there has been an increase in street vendors, and a decrease in cheap Thai restaurants.  Mall stuff is likely open, but even some maccas and pizza sluts have shuttered.  I went in late Aug, and again late Oct..both to Jomtien..some improvements, lots of devestation.

4.  I like indian run OYO Paradise view under 400 or so. No pool, but so close to the beach..not that often the owner asks me if I slept well, but indeed, I did..Front desk girl had the personality of a bag of fertilizer..but I was busy enjoying the beach.  Abanti was cheap, but it is anything but full service..and had a little argument with them about refusing to clean my room, and giving me an ac they likely knew freezes up every night.  They gave me another room, without tv..but wifi was good.  Ad said daily maid service, that means to me what holiday it is does not cooking matter.

I have always been a fan of the B2 hotel chain, and might give that one at Jomtien a try..so many of the hotels and condos there simply aren't near the beach.  Personally, I will sacrifice quality a little to have great ease buying and transporting cold beers and snacks out to the beach, and access to a restroom, if needed.  

B2 you need a car or motorcycle 

39 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Air B and B is way to go , everything is open mostly snd its busy , cheap as hell rooms 

Works for many, but what I noticed is there are deposits and electric charges.  Also, even seen some notices about keeping it "secret.". And then there are the issues of not having a 24 hour desk, or having to meet someone to get a key, etc..  I like the daily maid service at the beach hotels because sand proliferates.  

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

1.  Do NOT go to Mor Chit or Ekamai bus stations.  They deliver you to the Pattaya North Bus Station, which is just about as far from Jomtiem as it is possible to get.  A baht bus from the Pattaya North Bus Station to Jomtiem will cost more than your bus ticket to Pattaya.

Go to the Airport Pattaya Bus (that is an internet link you should open in a new tab) station right there in the Suvarnabhumi Airport on Level 1.  The ticket is 130 Bt, the bus leaves about every two hours, and delivers you to the corner of Thappraya Road and Thep Prasit Road in Jomtiem.  You can catch a baht bus (10 Bt/person) on Thappraya Road 20 feet from the bus station that will take you into Jomtiem along the Jomtiem Beach Road.

2.  There are beach chair vendors operating in Jomtiem.

3.  Many restaurants are open but some are closed.  There are enough open that you won't go hungry.  If you are looking for reasonably good food at reasonable prices try Simple Simon's on Jomtiem Soi 5 about 100 feet inland from Beach Road.

4.  Google for hotels in Jomtiem.  Some are closed but many are still open.  It shouldn't be difficult finding a hotel for less than 1000 Bt/night that is within easy walking distance of the beach or Beach Road where you can catch a baht bus into Pattaya itself

Busses are three hours apart at PanPan..can't be much more frequent at the airport.  It's a nice and easy 20 minute walk to the Dolphin and the Baht bus, but if you have lots of baggage, you will need to negotiate with the mob at the north station.

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

1. Go to pattayaairportbus dot com buy ticket in advance my suggestion. Runs every 2 hrs from 10 am til 6 pm.

2. I live here, but don't use chairs etc. Plenty of them are open and operating. Can't speak to them being homeless centers.

3. Many restaurants open, many shut... maybe 50-50? Don't worry, you won't starve. Food carts, cheap joints as well as many Western taste open.

4. Don't know hotel prices, as I live here. Seen a few signs out on street showing some discounts. Should be no problem in your price bracket. Unless dates you want are during some extended Thai holiday, you should be fine.

Not all back to normal but not a wasteland either. Heck, I even got propositioned on walk home. Like swallows to Capistrano sort of thing I reckon

A fairly accurate up to date report..

I dont live in jomtien,but close by.

Go to jomtien reguarly.

The area is still quite lively hardly anybody using deckchairs during the week,but much busier,with thai people on weekends.

It should be easy to get a decent hotel under 1000 per night..plenty of restaursnts to choose from.

The buses leave from airport to Jomtien,fairly reguarly,better than getting bus to pattaya nth.

Baht buses operating,as usual.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LALes said:

Jomtien is wide open and very few people wearing masks.  It is the Wild West.

Watch out for that weekend around Nov. 21.  Its gonna be packed.  Big 5 day Thai holiday.

Thanks for reminding me to stay away.  The sanitation is marginal at 10% occupancy.

1   Take the bus from Suvern Airport to the South terminal here, if that is convenient for you. 

2   Deck chairs are there.    I go and swim there about two times a week, and pay 40 B per chair per day. 

3    Restaurants are plenty,  many in the mid-range are open.    

4    There are hotel room and holiday residence house you can rent here in Jomtien.   Starting price is 400-600 B .   Should not have problem searching  in your price range. 

If possible,  come and stay in weekdays except Thurs and Fri Nov 19, 20.  Weekdays are very quiet,  regular weekend is a bit busy,   The 4 or 5 -day extended long weekend on Nov 19-22 will be super busy to the extent of traffic jam on Beach Road.    Avoid that extended long weekend  that   many Thai families will be coming.    

The locals and Business here struggling badly.   Good timing to come and have fun.  

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is no such thing as a nice and easy walk in Pattaya apart from the Beach Rd where you can be away from traffic other than the odd cyclist going at you, or policeman riding on the pavement to save going out of his way.  It is nearly 2 km from The North Rd bus station to the Dolphin roundabout. 

My mom and dad could do that walk, easily, and have been retired for thirty years.

11 hours ago, moontang said:

My mom and dad could do that walk, easily, and have been retired for thirty years.

With or without suitcases? Who on earth wants to be walking 2 km in hot sunshine!? I would never ever have considered asking my mother to do it!

Baht buses run in both directions on North Rd.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

With or without suitcases? Who on earth wants to be walking 2 km in hot sunshine!? I would never ever have considered asking my mother to do it!

Baht buses run in both directions on North Rd.

If you just flew in from a cold zone, it would feel better than most massage shops.  How far from the bus station mob do you need to be to get a 10 THB ride?  It did seem like they were running about a block from the dolphin, but I just walked to the Beach Rd to be sure.  

3 hours ago, moontang said:

If you just flew in from a cold zone, it would feel better than most massage shops.  How far from the bus station mob do you need to be to get a 10 THB ride?  It did seem like they were running about a block from the dolphin, but I just walked to the Beach Rd to be sure.  

Most folks who have just arrived from the cold places struggle with the heat.

You would have to cross over to the other side of Nua..... they U-Turn at Suk.

Usually you get them from in front of Best Supermarket to head towards the bus station. They hang about just after the Dolphin Roundabout on Beach Rd to head South via Beach Rd.