2x4 studs thai name and pricing?

creative1000

Already struck out at Suksawad and Wood World in CM looking for some standard ugly 2x4’s for a DIY weekend project.

Both shops carried high end hardwoods, polished, and quite pricey inside a showroom. 

I didn’t know the right terminology in thai.

“pom ow mai,  mai suay, mai pang, mii mai krub? ,.... [and showed them the photo below.]

The salesperson said “ohhh, thailand mii nid noi, haii yakk (difficult to find).

Are 2x4 studs really difficult to find here? ????‍♂️????

1E1C996F-FA8E-4635-BF05-F9212754A6DD.jpeg

12 minutes ago, creative1000 said:

Are 2x4 studs really difficult to find here?

They are once the local wildlife has located them, they tend to get converted into dust in double quick time.

@sometimewoodworker is your man for all things timber related.

What's your application?

• Like 1

When I want to do quick knock-up (then knock-down) projects I have Thai friends ask around for free pallet wood. 

We're currently in the process of replacing all our wood Door and Window frames to AL/Glass as, as mentioned, the insects and mold/fungus never take a holiday.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2020 at 3:48 PM, RichCor said:

When I want to do quick knock-up (then knock-down) projects I have Thai friends ask around for free pallet wood. 

I got some very nice hardwood pallets in an equipment delivery from China. No idea what the wood actually is but the local termites definitely don't like it ???? 

I can't say the same about the "plywood" that the boxes themselves were made from ???? 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice. Very helpful.

The application is wooden wedding decorations, archways to hang lights & fabric on, games like giant jenga. Basically build solid and cheap, then tear it all down. 

I'll head over to Global and see what I can find there as well. The pallet wood idea is interesting, I've seen a few offers in thai on FB marketplace & kaidee website

woodproject6.jpg

woodproject5.jpeg

woodproject4.jpg

woodproject3.jpg

woodproject2.jpg

WoodProject-1.jpg

On 11/7/2020 at 2:46 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Not only are they hard to find, very expensive for anything somewhat straight.

Suggest Al studs if you really want to go that route.

and  dont expect any uniformity, youll probably end up  planing  it to the correct sizes  yourself, and as mentioned a  lot is warped badly. Softwood is a  waste of  time.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 3:27 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

As @Crossyhas said wood is wonderful food for local insects.

1 ½ X 3 ½ or even 50 X 200 rough sawn timber certainly is available & isn’t difficult to find, it can be ugly. It is never cheap, it’s almost always a hardwood because it’s cheaper. Also it may well not be very dry.

606A4093-3F06-4526-A20A-1E06B78E91AA.thumb.jpeg.53e11a9fdbffed624e5280e02f265d93.jpeg

If you really want something temporary then ask for coconut wood, that is reasonably cheap, or you can get a sheet of 20mm plywood that’s nasty enough if you pay a low enough price.

You really need to tell us what you want to do to get advice on materials 

we're not in Kansas anymore So don’t expect the same products.

and check the coconut wood  also, some is  so wet  its incredible, others  so  light and dried out  you can snap it  over your knee like  balsa  wood

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Maybe consider bamboo for some of those projects.  Cheap if not free.

and spray it, have  had some bamboo  house  now if  sprayed regularly do  ok,  just put new  roof  on the old one as the legs and frame were still  ok, best to  rest it  on concrete though as termites  in the ground wont get in so easily  then

• Like 1

2 hours ago, creative1000 said:

The application is wooden wedding decorations, archways to hang lights & fabric on, games like giant jenga. Basically build solid and cheap, then tear it all down. 

I'll head over to Global and see what I can find there as well. The pallet wood idea is interesting, I've seen a few offers in thai on FB marketplace & kaidee website

Global isn’t going to be a good source apart from the bits for joining pieces together.

Bamboo is going to be your best material for the frames etc. As to something like giant jenga you aren’t going to find anything cheap unless you can find a wood furniture shop that may have scrap that will do.

• Like 1