Proof (certificate) of Residence from Another Province

Is it possible to get a certificate or proof of residence from a province you are not living in and that you do not do your 90-day reporting in. I drove my car to another province to sell and just remembered that I need a certificate of residence to complete the sale. I am planning to go to the nearby immigration office with my passport and one-year extension based on marriage. I am planning to sell the car and then return to my home on the same day or next  so I am hoping that not only can I get the proof of residence but that they will print out the certificate the same day I request it.

It might work if you spend a night in a hotel in the province of choice, make sure that they submit a TM30 online for you, and then apply for a certificate of residence the next day. If questioned just tell them that you are now living here, and don't mention that you intend to return "home" at the end of the day.

If the immigration office insists on seeing a rental contract or similar before issuing a certificate of residence you will have to come up with another plan.

Are you sure that you need a certificate of residence? Only very few provinces require one from the seller.

As far as I know, a foreigner always needs a certificate of residence to show to the dept. of motor vehicles. The buyer told me that they would need to have the certificate or proof  of residence from me when transferring ownership. If the local immigration won't give me the certificate because my residence is in a different province, I might have to go to the US Embassy in Bangkok and get the certificate of residence. I was hoping to avoid that.

"If questioned just tell them that you are now living here, and don't mention that you intend to return "home" at the end of the day."  I am not sure why I would tell then I am living here. I am only going to be here for a day or two. The immigration must have my address in their computer. They needed it for my one-year marriage extension. You can get a proof of marriage certificate in an immigration office in Thailand so I am hoping the same applies for proof of residence. 

I don't recall needing it when I sold a car a few years ago. Just copy of my passport. I sold to someone in either Bangkok or Nakhon Pathom. They handled everything, just sent me a form to sign and return with signed copy of my passport.

Maybe I am out of date. But I needed one to both sell and buy my car ten years ago. The transfers wouldn't have gone through without them. The woman who is buying the car insisted that I needed some kind of proof of residence. I will try to sell the car without one and see what happens.

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't recall needing it when I sold a car a few years ago. Just copy of my passport. I sold to someone in either Bangkok or Nakhon Pathom. They handled everything, just sent em a form to sign and return with signed copy of my passport.

Sold one of my vehicles a few months back residency cert was required. Banglamung Dept of Transport.

I just did a google search and it seems a residency certificate or work permit is required for an expat to make the sale. 

"If an expatriate, the seller or buyer must provide signed copies of their passport, visa and work permit, or official confirmation of residency from either the Thai Immigration Bureau or their embassy. If Thai, the seller or buyer must provide an ID card and House Registration Document (Tabien Ban)"

45 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

I am not sure why I would tell then I am living here. I am only going to be here for a day or two.

I'm just telling you what to tell them so that they issue you a certificate of residence, if you don't want one, then never mind.

29 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Sold one of my vehicles a few months back residency cert was required. Banglamung Dept of Transport.

I'm not aware of any province other than Chonburi where the DLT requires a certificate of residence from the seller.

If I am living in Surin but want the residence certificate from an immigration office in Chonburi I don't think I would tell them I am living in Chonburi. The computer will show my residence is in Surirn and my 90-day reporting is done in Surirn. Actually, I am selling the car to a woman in Chonburi so I will definitely need a residence certificate.

On 11/8/2020 at 11:33 AM, khaepmu said:

I drove my car to another province to sell and just remembered that I need a certificate of residence to complete the sale.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can sell your car with a certificate of residence issued by immigration in Surin.

He is not in Surin Joe.

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

can I submit a certificate from a province I don't live in when applying to renew a driving licence?

I guess it depends on where you apply for the driving license.

Usually a DLT will only accept a certificate of residence issued by immigration in the same province.

• Thanks 1

I called the immigration office and asked them if they could send a certificate of residence to my hotel in Chonburi. He asked me to send him a picture, a copy of the first page of my passport, and a copy of my wife' s ID card. He asked me to use LINE. I did as he asked and I received the certificate of residence by overnight carrier and I was able to sell my car within a few days. (1000 Baht  transferred  into his account using mobile banking) It was worth it. 

• Like 2