New tourist visa from UK - and Non O-A Application timings....

Hi,

I would like to return to Thailand as soon as possible - and I was hoping to do this under the new tourist visa from the UK.  

I turn 50 in March 12th 2021 - and I have 2 choices - travel over in Jan under tourist visa and get 60 (+30) days - and apply for my non O-A retirement whilst over there (my preference).....or....

sit it out in the UK until March and just apply for my non O-A at the RTE London and head over then.

I don't want to get caught out going to Thailand under Tourist Visa - and paying for ASQ - and finding out I then have to return to UK to get my retirement application....then head back and pay for another ASQ !

I'll also email the RTE London and post the answer here.....but they are pretty much flat out - and since my requirement wasn't for urgent travel - I didn't want to divert their time right now.

Many thanks !

Scot

You cannot apply for a OA visa at immigration here. You can only apply for a one year extension of stay when you are 50 or over.

If you enter on a tourist visa you would first need to apply for a non-o visa at immigration first to get a 90 day entry. To apply for it you need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. Then near the end of the 90 days you could apply for the one year extension of stay. To apply for the extension the 800k baht will need to be a the bank for 2 months,

• Like 1

OP, this is link to current thread that has good info regarding non O-A. 

Would mean you remain in UK until you turn 50. Thinking that's a good option in your situation.

If you really need to get to Thailand asap then you have that option covered above by Ubonjoe. 

Regarding that option, I would opt for the 800k in the Thai bank account if you can afford it. You would need open Thai bank account when you arrive.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe is correct.

Another idea is to get the O-A visa from outside of Thailand at an embassy. To do this you do not need to go back to the UK. My wife ( UK passport ) got her visa OK in Singapore. Very civilized and efficient, and English speaking. 

Just an idea. 

Also bear in mind that at present I don't think an O-A visa gets you into Thailand, but I am sure things will change very soon...

5 minutes ago, Tidybeard said:

Also bear in mind that at present I don't think an O-A visa gets you into Thailand, but I am sure things will change very soon...

It does allow a person to apply for a certificate of entry needed to enter the country now.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot apply for a OA visa at immigration here. You can only apply for a one year extension of stay when you are 50 or over.

If you enter on a tourist visa you would first need to apply for a non-o visa at immigration first to get a 90 day entry. To apply for it you need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. Then near the end of the 90 days you could apply for the one year extension of stay. To apply for the extension the 800k baht will need to be a the bank for 2 months,

Thanks @ubonjoe (and others) for your response - 

I received this reply from a visa concierge in Thailand - which (I think) backs up what you have said ?

"You can apply for a retirement visa at the Thai Embassy in UK or in any other country( outside Thailand) and it is called retirement non OA ( every 3 months you need to exit and come back) or in Thailand and it is called retirement non O ( 12 months) Basically it’s the same type of visa, the difference is where you apply for it."

5 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

Another idea is to get the O-A visa from outside of Thailand at an embassy. To do this you do not need to go back to the UK. My wife ( UK passport ) got her visa OK in Singapore. Very civilized and efficient, and English speaking.

As far as I know, you can only apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country, or in the country where you have legal permanent residency.

If your wife was in the latter case that would be possible, if not she will have applied for a different type Visa than the Non Imm O-A.

5 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

Ubonjoe is correct.

Just an idea. 

You can only apply in the country that you legally reaside.

UK in the ops case.

4 hours ago, Scottie13 said:

Thanks @ubonjoe (and others) for your response - 

I received this reply from a visa concierge in Thailand - which (I think) backs up what you have said ?

"You can apply for a retirement visa at the Thai Embassy in UK or in any other country( outside Thailand) and it is called retirement non OA ( every 3 months you need to exit and come back) or in Thailand and it is called retirement non O ( 12 months) Basically it’s the same type of visa, the difference is where you apply for it."

I'd suggest ignoring anything this "concierge" tells you.  UJ and others here will be far more accurate and reliable.

• Thanks 1

I’ve applied previously in London and had renewals there, if you don’t live e in London I’d recommend staying overnight the day before and getting there really early the queues are horrendous. 

Most importantly ensure you complete all paperwork and check and check again. Make sure it’s all stamped by your legal people and attach their business card.

again all the copies of paperwork are stamped and signed by whoever you are using for legal.

Ensure the medical paperwork is stamped my first one was thrown out and had to get it done before I could take it back to them which again was train journeys etc

good luck , remember Thai love paperwork make sure it’s all spot on before you go. Apologies if it’s sucking eggs. 

best wishes

Edited by Bez1
Add ifo

15 hours ago, Scottie13 said:

Hmmm, that Visa concierge managed to put 4 untrue statements in that 2-sentence paragraph.

Better not listen to the nonsense he spouts...