Trump fires defense secretary Esper in post-election reckoning after public policy clashes

webfact

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Biden hasn't won, IMO, till the electoral college says he has and congress announces it.

https://apnews.com/article/when-do-electoral-votes-need-to-be-in-970e6b8c8474c77ac6ab4fb0d56caa5b

Electoral College electors in each state don’t vote until Dec. 14. The electors’ votes typically align with the popular vote in each state. But not all states require the votes cast by electors to mirror the popular vote. Certificates recording the electoral vote results in each state must be received by the president of the Senate and the archivist no later than Dec. 23.

The official results of the electoral votes are sent to the new elected Congress, which is set to meet in a joint session on Jan. 6, 2021, and announce the results.

By your 'reasoning' Trump hasn't won either then has he? Despite the fact that LAST WEDNESDAY he declared that he had. 

He's the gift that keeps giving.

Edit: I'm not a fan of Biden either to be honest. If these two clowns are the best a nation of 328m people could come up with I feel sorry for it. Have a look at the wealth of those in Congress and the Senate- no corruption there, no Siree Bob! At least here its in the open. Pork barrels to the fore.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Biden hasn't won, IMO, till the electoral college says he has and congress announces it.

As far as I can recall, Trump has at no point during the whole election been ahead of Biden, not in electoral or popular votes.

So if they had stopped counting when Trump demanded, Biden would still have won

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Would be nice to know what the play at DoD/Pentagon is?

Many more resignations, and a new crew being sent in including flynn and nunes stooges. Presumably to do something that Esper wouldn't?

Reports are out that Trump's strategy changes every hour. But I think we've seen this for the past 4 years. A horrible leader. Sad some actually like him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Susco said:

As far as I can recall, Trump has at no point during the whole election been ahead of Biden, not in electoral or popular votes.

So if they had stopped counting when Trump demanded, Biden would still have won

Well not exactly. You need 270 electoral votes. If Mr.Trump had succeeded in stopping counting in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Georgia while he was well ahead with his red mirage and those states were finalized based on that he would definitely win. A totally fake win and hard to imagine state election boards ever doing it that way. So really just a messaging tactic having nothing to do with reality.

Edited by Jingthing

14 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Reports are out that Trump's strategy changes every hour. But I think we've seen this for the past 4 years. A horrible leader. Sad some actually like him.

"None shall pass"

"I move for no man".

"Tis but a scratch" 

"It's just a flesh wound." 

"Right, I’ll do you for that"

"I'm invincible!"

"All right, we'll call it a draw." 

"Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to ya! I'll bite your legs off!"

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's pretty obvious. To send troops in the streets to protect his presidency if he manages to cling to power. Esper declined to support using troops domestically. Yes  Potentially. A coup. Not saying its going to happen or succeed but at this point it would be naive to deny that Mr.Trump is cornered, desperate  and potentially capable of doing anything.

I've thought about the possibilities of Trump going full-dictator with the DoD to cling on to power and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he tried.  But thankfully, I'm confident that our uniformed military personnel (i.e., the flag officers) will not go along.    

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I've thought about the possibilities of Trump going full-dictator with the DoD to cling on to power and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he tried.  But thankfully, I'm confident that our uniformed military personnel (i.e., the flag officers) will not go along.    

It's really impossible to predict exactly what Mr. Trump will do, but as most everyone including me predicted he will not be taking losing gracefully. This all may indeed be a ruse to keep his base believing he is still the winner after he leaves the white house, so he can make lots of money continuing to do his virus spreader rallies and start his own branded media empire. He obviously needs lots of money to both pay his massive debts and future legal battles as well. That scenario will continue to damage the nation, make the bipartisan dream of President Elect Biden totally impossible, but at least the face (and backside) of one very narcissistic man would be preserved. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The job of the US secretary of state is a very important and responsible one, especially unter Trump. It is very, very dangerous if there would be a Trump-bootlicker. Obviously and luckily Esper wasn't one of this kind.

If  you consider that this secretary is nearly the only one who could refrain brain-sick Trump to start an atomic bomb/war.

Wiki – gives us the answer how it works to start an atomic bomb/war by the POTUS. You will read the words „football“ and „biscuit“. But it's not about sports or sweets, it's very serious. Although we will understandably never learn all the details, it is explaned how it works to start a nuclear bomb/war by the POTUS. A phrase confirms that only the POTUS can do it, but ----->

It is argued that the president has almost sole authority to initiate a nuclear attack since the secretary of defense is required to verify the order, but cannot veto it. Here the Wiki.webside:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

Lets hope that there is some common sense in the head of the US „secretary of defense“, if there is a new one before January 20.  Who represents him until Biden will take office? If Trump: double danger!

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1