King Power Prices Way Above Other Airports!

i flew from singapore, and checked the price of a certain brand of rum. was 21 dollars sing.

got to bangkok, same size bottle, same brand, 660 baht which equals 30.73 dollars sing!!!

just because its duty free doesnt mean its a good price.

i'm buying all my stuff at other airports now,

i think i even heard that singapore had a policy that things cant be more expensive at the airport than in the city.

Accepting that airport outlets need to cover overheads etc, I have often wondered why they are called "Duty Free" when obviously they are not. Take Singapore and Hong Kong as examples, both are advertised as Duty Free Cities, yet the prices differ hugely !

I for one almost never buy from duty free outlets and here is an example why. At the border town of Poipot a carton of original L&M Cigarettes cost 150 Baht, at the airport 350 Baht, yet at London Heathrow the same cost 1,500 Baht . Duty Free no way !

All travellers coming to Thailand should be warned NOT to shop at King Power outlets. 'Duty Free' should be exactly that - FREE of DUTY (government taxes and charges).

L & M cigarettes are a good example, because they are available all over Thailand. 1 packet at Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi Airport King Power = 100 baht. 1 packet L & M at 7-11 = 40 baht. 1 packet L & M at mum and pop shop in Issan village = 45 baht a pack.

SHAME King Power SHAME

Peter

All travellers coming to Thailand should be warned NOT to shop at King Power outlets. 'Duty Free' should be exactly that - FREE of DUTY (government taxes and charges).

L & M cigarettes are a good example, because they are available all over Thailand. 1 packet at Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi Airport King Power = 100 baht. 1 packet L & M at 7-11 = 40 baht. 1 packet L & M at mum and pop shop in Issan village = 45 baht a pack.

SHAME King Power SHAME

Peter

why is it a shame? Their costs and overheads are totally different. Clientel are different. They aren't exactly ripping anyone off, except those who fail to do their shopping a little ahead of time.

From a health perspective, they are doing you a favour in making the ciggies expensive. You should be thanking them, rather than chatising them.

Yep, stopped at Suvarnabumi "Duty Free" shopping mall yesterday on my way out: found my prefered champagne: Piper Heidsieck Rose Brut, price tag 1730 baht, today at my local supermarket 22.5 euro at 46 baht/euro comes At 1035 baht duty included.

"Duty Free" does not mean "profit-free". One of the popular souvenirs of China is a personalized "chop" - an engraved jade slug with your name in English or Chinese - you can find them for 40-50 RMB at any market. In the Shanghai airport, vendors sell the identical object for 400RMB. Early for a flight, I glanced at several souvenirs (living in SH, I'd never buy anything at the airport). A tourist took a calculator and typed "50", and the vendor replied, "If that's the amount of discount you want, OK." When the tourist complained that he could buy a chop for 50RMB outside of the airport, the vendor replied, "Go outside of the airport."

Accepting that airport outlets need to cover overheads etc, I have often wondered why they are called "Duty Free" when obviously they are not. Take Singapore and Hong Kong as examples, both are advertised as Duty Free Cities, yet the prices differ hugely !

I for one almost never buy from duty free outlets and here is an example why. At the border town of Poipot a carton of original L&M Cigarettes cost 150 Baht, at the airport 350 Baht, yet at London Heathrow the same cost 1,500 Baht . Duty Free no way !

Who said the price should be the same in duty free? ... what an assumption ...

I miss the 7-11 that was downstairs at the old DM. It was cheaper on almost everything to what was on sale upstairs, duty free or not.

Even as a newbie first timer I knew to sniff out the places that the airport staff did their shopping.

A long time ago I spent some time in the British Merchant navy. The price we used to pay onboard ship was the proper duty-free price plus 10% handling charge for procurement. The price in the shops in the UK at the time for a carton (200) cigarettes was £10. The 'duty-free' price at BAA duty-free shops in UK airports was £6.00. The price we paid on board was £1.10.

when i started this topic, i was only stating that thailands duty free was more expensive than other airport's duty free.

but i do still see that alcohol is cheaper at the airport than in the city. it is a lower price and often a bigger bottle.

Who cares ?

I mean : this "mystique" about duty free shopping in a airport, is really outdated.

What's the point to buy craps in an airport, and then carry them on board ? And eventually, to pay more on many items ?

:o

I guess the "flight anxiety" makes people nervous and they need to do shopping. It's like a Valium pill.

As for Suva, yes I agree it's a shame.

The only purpose of all thoses shops operated by King Power is to create a nice decor. And some warm ligthnening.

:D

For me, there is only one shop that has an interest, passed the immigration : it's the book store, on the way to concourse C.

They have more choice than before at Don Muang. Prices are OK. Perfect.

Edited by cclub75

Just came back from vacation in the Philippines (I used to work there before).

Pack of 3 Godiva chocolate small boxes.

At King Power: 1,390 Baht (about 40 USD)

At Duty Free Manila: 32 USD.

Price difference: 8 Dollars or 276 BAHT !

and duty free at Manila airport looks like some god awful bus station. The interior of the departures hall is 1960's style lime green if I recall.

You are comparing apples with oranges in terms of the costs of running a duty free.

I miss the 7-11 that was downstairs at the old DM. It was cheaper on almost everything to what was on sale upstairs, duty free or not.

Even as a newbie first timer I knew to sniff out the places that the airport staff did their shopping.

I never saw a 7-11 downstairs. There was a different convenience store (not 7-11) that I went to downstairs in the parking at DM. The only 7-11 I recall was at the far end of the terminal towards the walkway between the international and domestic terminals.

At Suvarnabhumi, there are plenty of Family Marts, but most are operated by King Power and don't have that much of a selection as the 7-11 did at DM. But the Family Mart on Level 1, just outside the terminal building, next to the food court, has a much better selection and isn't operated by King Power. If you take a free shuttle to the Transportation Center, there's a very large 7-11 there, but don't know that it would be worth it to spend that much time unless you have a lot of spare time with nothing to do.

• 2 weeks later...
i flew from singapore, and checked the price of a certain brand of rum. was 21 dollars sing.

got to bangkok, same size bottle, same brand, 660 baht which equals 30.73 dollars sing!!!

just because its duty free doesnt mean its a good price.

i'm buying all my stuff at other airports now,

i think i even heard that singapore had a policy that things cant be more expensive at the airport than in the city.

I'd like to believe that of Singapore - however when looking for electronic translators the same model was $30SG cheaper in town - then about $50SG cheaper again in Pan Tip.

A long time ago I spent some time in the British Merchant navy. The price we used to pay onboard ship was the proper duty-free price plus 10% handling charge for procurement. The price in the shops in the UK at the time for a carton (200) cigarettes was £10. The 'duty-free' price at BAA duty-free shops in UK airports was £6.00. The price we paid on board was £1.10.

On our old Humphrey Bogart-Edward G Robinson era tramp steamer (Bank Line ) we use to pay 10 bob for 200 fags ( but I dont fumer)...15 /- (shillings) a case of Tennants Lager -24 tins and £1 for a bottle of Black...but of course all relative.

On last jolli I picked up a bottle of J.W.Blue at Suwanna for under 5000bt which was about £35 cheaper than Heathrow....however to be safe will re-check again ..next week :o

Incid put K wife on TG to Bangers last night and the airport was QUIET....nice....

easy to get a Pint in that new bar in T 3 and Q to enter security departure was nil...

Was told that plane was less than half full so ...again...nice..... :D

For the one item I buy quite frequently King Power Duty-Free (on arrival at BKK) is ~ 40% less expensive than in town (Bangkok) and at least 10% less expensive than liquor stores in the USA, duty-free ex-USA, NRT and SIN. Since I do not transit other airports, for my trips to/from Thailand, the prices at those other duty-free locations is irrelevant.

• 2 months later...

Now that Asia Books have insisted that King Power sells books at the price AB want them sold at (usually 350 Baht) I have bought a few on my trips. Before this they were 450 baht to 495 baht, for the same books in Pattaya or BKK at 350 baht.

That is the only thing I buy from King Power - if I am changing at Changi or KL I buy other things there (perfume, so on) but never will I patronise the rip-off that is KP unless I am sure of my prices.

And this goes back ten years or more - it's not Suva - DM was the same.

I recall buying an I-Pod before flying somewhere. As I passed through King Power(ful lies) I checked the price, as you do. With discount it was over 3k more in K.P. I asked the guy if he was sure. He just shrugged and said "that's the price and walked away". Obviously he had heard it before.

However, nothing compares to the robbery that was the stand selling ray skin wallets. With a 50% DISCOUNT they were still 7000baht.

Thais must think that Duty Free means Free of the Duty not to trick customers.

I recall buying an I-Pod before flying somewhere. As I passed through King Power(ful lies) I checked the price, as you do. With discount it was over 3k more in K.P. I asked the guy if he was sure. He just shrugged and said "that's the price and walked away". Obviously he had heard it before.

However, nothing compares to the robbery that was the stand selling ray skin wallets. With a 50% DISCOUNT they were still 7000baht.

Thais must think that Duty Free means Free of the Duty not to trick customers.

I am frankly amazed that anyone seems surprised. Why on earth do you think KP greased so many palms and offered AOT an extra billion baht (last I heard KP claim it was paid but AOT haven't received it - what a surprise! - and what a surprise the whole thing disappeared off the news radar!)

He was buying a licence to print money. Who pays? Who do you think?

Rich

It honestly depends. I bought a liter on Johnny Red for B500, not bad although Friendship SM has Balantines now for B549. I saw JWR in Delhi for US15, even better. Cambo border B440.

Of course though - when has duty free been a good deal. Most stuff is more expensive than retail in USA save for ciggies and booze.

Edited by theseveredhead

Every time I pass through an airport, I marvel at the duty free shops. My contention always is “what kind of genius would shop for anything at an airport, particularly a duty free shop?” I have never seen anything resembling a bargain in a duty free shop. It might be duty free, but there is 100 percent idiot tax applied because you forgot to buy what you needed before you got there. It’s not just a King Power thing although they probably gouge more than most.

I am also amazed at the type of products for sale at airports, hi fi’s, computer’s, sometimes cars. Is it just me or wouldn’t this be the last place you would consider for these kind of purchases. Do you have to go through customs do get your warranty work done?

A great mystery of life is how they find enough customers to keep the lights on.

I have never seen anything resembling a bargain in a duty free shop.

50% of the normal store price sounds like a bargain to me. Have you ever looked in a duty free shop outside Thailand eg Singapore, Oz, for items such as booze or ciggies?

100% idiot tax - hmm!

Every time I pass through an airport, I marvel at the duty free shops. My contention always is “what kind of genius would shop for anything at an airport, particularly a duty free shop?” I have never seen anything resembling a bargain in a duty free shop. It might be duty free, but there is 100 percent idiot tax applied because you forgot to buy what you needed before you got there. It’s not just a King Power thing although they probably gouge more than most.

I am also amazed at the type of products for sale at airports, hi fi’s, computer’s, sometimes cars. Is it just me or wouldn’t this be the last place you would consider for these kind of purchases. Do you have to go through customs do get your warranty work done?

A great mystery of life is how they find enough customers to keep the lights on.

people are usually on holidays, they have a bit of money to splash about, so they will. It makes them feel good. Plus it is convnient.

For those on business, like myself from time to time, from the second I leave my house till the second I get back, I know I'm on the company tab for all but the most personal of expenses + per diem. Given that, a bottle of nice wine or some purfume for my wife all of a sudden isn't an extravagence, even at the duty free.

If you want Duty Free that is actually a bargain then if you ever cross over from Thailand into Laos via the Friendship Bridge call into the duty free shops on the Laos side.

1 Litre JD - US$17

1 Litre Johnny Black - US$18 (if I remember rightly)

750ml Johnny Green - can't remember the precise amount but I am pretty sure recalling it being US$18 same as 1L JB.

Basically any of the alcohol is cheaper than you'll find in any shops in Vientiane. One tip though check between the shops as there is quite often a dollar or two in difference between prices.