Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

webfact

9 hours ago, rott said:

Backpackers usually come for longer than two weeks. 

What impulse purchases are you likely to make.? 

i can't call them two week millionaires and then say they will be here six months.  lol

impulse....like tourist stuff.  be dumb and ride the elephants, 2000 baht...

pick strawberries, 5000 baht.... lol.  no expat does this.  and no backpacker really plans on this

buys some junk at walking street, more than they need

100 massages in a day

1000 t-shirts that say I heart Thailand

1000 beers for their friends after they get drunk

all things expats really never do, ever

and expats don't have real friends.  not like the backpackers.  

• Sad 1

I am taking a philosophical approach and I shall say ' Thank you Thailand. It was good while it lasted'. 

I have been going there for about 30 years. I guess it is farewell time. 

Sad but it is what it is ????

• Like 1

Lets see how this plays out for the US as there is the possibility that 20 million Americans will be able to be vaccinated within the next month.  I wonder how that will play out with travel quarantine and such things.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-updates-20m-americans-could-receive-vaccine-next-month-5-states-issue-restrictions/ar-BB1aYJF5?ocid=msedgntp

Are they even issuing SETV (single entry tourist visas) now? I thought the only tourism is the new Special Tourist Visa (STV) for up to 60 days, which can be extended up to 90 days.  As opposed to the long-established SETV which has allowed a 60 day stay with a discretionary extension for another 30.  

17 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Does ANYBODY in Thai government have a degree in Economics?? You would think that those who make these decisions would be required to estimate the impact that such decisions will have on tourism. Very strange way to manage an economy.

dont really need a degree to understand it, im sure a relatively bright 8 yr old could work it out

22 minutes ago, hgma said:

The  "Cheap Charlies"  made Thailand as tourist destination as it is today, a bit unfair to reject them that easy i think.

Fully agree.  Most Europeans in their 20s-30s typically do not have deep pockets.  But if they stayed 4 weeks or longer, the cost of a backpacker-holiday in Thailand (including the flight cost) was often lower than going to a typical European tourist destination.  So not surprisingly many opted for such an exotic holiday and fell in love with the country and making it their holiday destination of choice.

As others already remarked, those low-spending backpackers are actually doing more for the local economy than the package-tour visitors.  The almost exclusive focus now on high-heeled tourist to revive the Thai tourist industry will only benefit the Thai Elite, but will do little for the common Thai and the local economy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

i can't call them two week millionaires and then say they will be here six months.  lol

impulse....like tourist stuff.  be dumb and ride the elephants, 2000 baht...

pick strawberries, 5000 baht.... lol.  no expat does this.  and no backpacker really plans on this

buys some junk at walking street, more than they need

100 massages in a day

1000 t-shirts that say I heart Thailand

1000 beers for their friends after they get drunk

all things expats really never do, ever

and expats don't have real friends.  not like the backpackers.  

So the friends I have known for over twenty years are not real friends of mine. 

And vice versa. 

I did not realise that, so thank you for educating me. 

• Like 1

This is the government way of trying to play khaosan. Entice the rich to come and bring money into thailand. Spend the money asq, insurance etc.  Thinking they can trick the rich foreigners knowing they have money to spend.   However, do they really think all are that gulliable?  Only the ones who desperately need to go back with the savings will go back.  

11 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

This is the government way of trying to play khaosan. Entice the rich to come and bring money into thailand. Spend the money asq, insurance etc.  Thinking they can trick the rich foreigners knowing they have money to spend.   However, do they really think all are that gulliable?  Only the ones who desperately need to go back with the savings will go back.  

Gullible is the Modus Operandi 

My guess is this is temporary during the epidemic. 

Do you really think they want to kill the tourism when all this is over?   500k requirement will kill 90% of the tourism. And what about poorer countries , a year salary can be 500k.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

brazil, mexico, argentina, panama and costa rica are now open for tourists, no need

for any document other than passport , no insurance, no test, no quarantine (brazil and mexico) just come and get 3 months visa (european passports).

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/panama

Where did you get your advise from Scott?

Entry to Panama is open to Panamanian nationals, residents, tourists and business travelers with a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate. The certificate must be obtained no more than 48 hours before you travel. If you cannot do this, a test can be taken at the airport on arrival at a cost of USD 50.00. If the test is positive, there is a mandatory requirement to quarantine for at least 7 days at a government facility.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/argentina

Argentina’s borders are closed to foreign nationals and non-residents entering the country. Some exceptions to this rule might apply. See Entry requirements

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/panama

Where did you get your advise from Scott?

Entry to Panama is open to Panamanian nationals, residents, tourists and business travelers with a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate. The certificate must be obtained no more than 48 hours before you travel. If you cannot do this, a test can be taken at the airport on arrival at a cost of USD 50.00. If the test is positive, there is a mandatory requirement to quarantine for at least 7 days at a government facility.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/argentina

Argentina’s borders are closed to foreign nationals and non-residents entering the country. Some exceptions to this rule might apply. See Entry requirements

I think he's right about Brazil and Mexico tho

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

how can one have a hire contract of a condominium with at least two months installments paid, if he could not enter thailand in the past 8 months?

It is - as usual - an incorrectly phrased requirement.  You need to show that you paid the equivalent of at least two months rent as a guarantee when you signed the rental contract.

This REALLY hurts an underaddressed demographic here in which I am apart of. Young foreigners looking to simply live abroad, learning the language and culture of the country while earning an honest living whilst maintaining a healthy lifestyle. For someone like me, there's more planning and preparation that goes into my trips to thailand compared to an actual tourist. I dont have a rich family, i dont earn much  i go to school at the same as working when im back in america. Long story short, i use the STV to set myself up (finding an apartment, good school, stay in toich with contacts, ext.) for an extended stay on an ED visa, which unlike other people, i actually use to study in addition to other commitments i must maintain in between. It's hard, but it's worth it. Until now I've only just been able to support my life of travel and education and the pandemic has made things especially difficult. If this is requirement becomes permanent, it will be impprrible to return to Thailand. There are many ways Thailand can benefit from being more accessible other than money/income... 

Edited by Alpharius
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Alpharius said:

This REALLY hurts an underaddressed demographic here in which I am apart of. Young foreigners looking to simply live abroad, learning the language and culture of the country while earning an honest living whilst maintaining a healthy lifestyle. For someone like me, there's more planning and preparation that goes into my trips to thailand compared to an actual tourist. I dont have a rich family, i dont earn much  i go to school at the same as working when im back in america. Long story short, i use the STV to set myself up (finding an apartment, good school, stay in toich with contacts, ext.) for an extended stay on an ED visa, which unlike other people, i actually use to study in addition to other commitments i must maintain in between. It's hard, but it's worth it. Until now I've only just been able to support my life of travel and education and the pandemic has made things especially difficult. If this is requirement becomes permanent, it will be impprrible to return to Thailand. There are many ways Thailand can benefit from being more accessible other than money/income... 

I think making it impossible for you (and persons in circumstances you describe in your post) to return and stay here perennially on tourist visas is the entire point of this new requirement.

Let's be honest, if this had happened without the COVID-19 crisis would any of us really be surprised? 

• Like 1