Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

webfact

Everyone shouts that 500000 ฿ is a lot of money. It is only 5500 ฿ per day, for a 90 day vacation. 5500 ฿ per day as a holiday budget, there will be a lot of sleep. Hotel room to 2000 ฿ per day so there are only 3500 left Food per day is 1500 ฿ you have 2000 left Lady he has no money so he has to <deleted> in a stocking. Have a nice evening to hall out there ...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Right on brother!  in fact for us over 50s it's 800,000! 

One day they may just increase it as well as those on an extension of Marriage, it will hurt many, but then there are others who have no problem with meeting the requirements.  It is the ones who have a problem that use those less than noble agents, who are in it for it being a nice earner for them.

• Like 1

from certain countries

fly in  30 days

border run   30 days

pay for an extra 30    30 days

border run  (only two a year) 30 days

pay for an extra month  30 days

leave

that's still a LOT of time every year for a backpacker... i think.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The 500.000 THB in itself is NOT the problem.  The problem is that you need to provide evidence that you kept such an amount for 6 months on a bank-account without dipping under it. 

This is true for me. I only added that money in September so I won't be eligible until March. Also way too many hoops to jump through just to get approved for entry. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

One day they may just increase it as well as those on an extension of Marriage, it will hurt many, but then there are others who have no problem with meeting the requirements.  It is the ones who have a problem that use those less than noble agents, who are in it for it being a nice earner for them.

Might as well increase it to a Million Baht

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Gosh.!!! Who'd a thought it.!!! People going into business to make money. 

Whatever next.?

• Haha 1

Too stupid for comment. What is to be achieved by this idiocy? Pretty clear they don't want farang families which they have been saying the cleaning up of Pattaya is all about. As they used to say about WW1 British servicemen: lions led by donkeys.

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Wake up Thailand...noone is coming. 500K sitting in their bank for 6 monts? How many westerners have that kind of money sitting in a bank for long periods, especially diring a pandemic? This is not even about cheap charlies. The average tourist has to save some time to even allow for an international trip. Why would I go through all this nonsense Europeans can travel around their own continent? Not, that even that is viable now, given how covid is spreading. Only business people or those that must return to Thailand will go through all this. They are dreaming if they think tourists will do this. 

That's even forgetting that a couple would need to show 1 million Baht. What about a couple with two children? As the children would have their own passports, they, too, need visas - so another 1 million Baht to show? 

Whoever came up with this idea should be stuffed and exhibited in a freak museum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiujunn said:
17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Hundreds to choose from, and often cheaper and cleaner with infinitely better infrastructure and attitude and value. 

Please give me one or two examples. 

If you can't work out anywhere outside of Thailand that fits that description then I really don't think I or any one else can help you. If you believe that Thailand offers the best there is then good for you.

• Like 1

so im confused, for a country like australia, they have 30 day entry arrangement where they dont need a visa or any requirements,

so this new rule only applies if you want to stay for up to 60days?

if this is the case it wont affect any tourists unless they are intending to stay for 30days plus

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Countries around the world should reciprocate. No Thai can visit the UK unless they can show £14,000 in a bank statement in their name. Not that many UK citizens could do that so I’d doubt many Thai could either. 

They are simply shooting themselves in the foot economically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Wake up Thailand...noone is coming. 500K sitting in their bank for 6 monts? How many westerners have that kind of money sitting in a bank for long periods, especially diring a pandemic? This is not even about cheap charlies. The average tourist has to save some time to even allow for an international trip. Why would I go through all this nonsense Europeans can travel around their own continent? Not, that even that is viable now, given how covid is spreading. Only business people or those that must return to Thailand will go through all this. They are dreaming if they think tourists will do this. 

I cant think of any country that the general population is wealthy enough or the cost of living is so high that they have 500k baht equivalent for 6 months in an account

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you can't work out anywhere outside of Thailand that fits that description then I really don't think I or any one else can help you. If you believe that Thailand offers the best there is then good for you.

I asked for an example of one or two of the "hundreds" of places "cheaper and cleaner with infinitely better infrastructure and attitude and value " that you mentioned - and you came up with an unqualified rant.

• Like 2

What a joke! From what i read a few weeks ago, so this is not breaking news, is that not only did you have to have 500K it had to be in an account for at least 6 months. But it isn't about money is it...lol. Backpackers who will travel around Thailand for 2 months. They probably won't spend 50K let alone 500K. This just keeps getting more amusing yet depressing at the same time

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:
25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I asked for an example of one or two of the "hundreds" of places "cheaper and cleaner with infinitely better infrastructure and attitude and value " that you mentioned - and you came up with an unqualified rant.

Again, if you believe that Thailand offers the best there is, that nowhere in the world offers better, then good for you. But if you are interested in widening your view then do your own research. Start with Spain.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

The government here is trying to keep tourist out.  Why all the BS that was never a requirement and now it is. This is why the people want to rid of them. What’s really funny, the King support them. 

It is strange, isn't it. Several friends overseas have asked me why the government is hell bent on destroying Thailand's tourism industry, and I tell them that I have no idea. It's simply and clearly government policy. I'm sure that neighbouring countries that have long been in Thailand's shadow are thrilled and ready to welcome those seeking an alternative in the region.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Visa exempt is good for 30 days, how long did you want them to stay ?

Is Visa Exempt still available? Will it ever be available again? Somehow I think Thailand is finished as a destination. Time to extract my Thai wife from there and get on with life elsewhere in the world.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, 4reaL said:

That will teach all those Cheap Charlie types from mooching around LOS.

And do you know what it means ("cheap Charlie") ? And what the route is ? 
It means "not stupid" to give cash away easily to bar girls. It won't apply to backpackers. 

• Haha 1