Hummer

DD18

personally I hope you can not purchase such a selfish vehicle here ...................................

Why not? Maybe he is, like Borat, after something that has a "pussy magnet" installed?

The vehicle may earn him that special self-delusive winning feeling as it does to the US public and their troops.

Other than that, the vehicle is crap of the crap. It's just unbelievable how cramped it is inside and you have the engine hood between 2 front seats.

Further, it has a wider track than other cars, imagine it puffing while trying to navigate a narrow off-road .

I've seen proud owners crying after following (they could not stop) the caravan of 4WDs through the bush. They got all the scratches and bruises, the vehicle looks trashed, while metalic paint range rovers were intact.

I would love to see one stuck in a soi, stray dogs peeing on on it while a crane is called to the rescue.

personally I hope you can not purchase such a selfish vehicle here ...................................

Why not? Maybe he is, like Borat, after something that has a "pussy magnet" installed?

The vehicle may earn him that special self-delusive winning feeling as it does to the US public and their troops.

Other than that, the vehicle is crap of the crap. It's just unbelievable how cramped it is inside and you have the engine hood between 2 front seats.

Further, it has a wider track than other cars, imagine it puffing while trying to navigate a narrow off-road .

I've seen proud owners crying after following (they could not stop) the caravan of 4WDs through the bush. They got all the scratches and bruises, the vehicle looks trashed, while metalic paint range rovers were intact.

I would love to see one stuck in a soi, stray dogs peeing on on it while a crane is called to the rescue.

Lol ! One of the funniest comment I have read so far.....And certainly so true !!!

Where do you go to buy a hummer?

There is a car dealership at the area of Thong Lo and Petchburi that used to have 2 of them...one black and one yellow...They always had red license plates.. Have not seen them for aboutt a year, but you might check...

You have to hand it to the Hummer people for designing a car with the most macho image. You can forgive people for assuming it would be driven by a man. The first series, as I recall, were awesomely huge in all directions! Basically, a tank without tracks. I believe they are now a division of the ever-struggling General Motors Corporation, and the H2 is a good bit smaller than the original monster.

its a piece of rubbish actually , there are much better 4WD vehicles out there.

from a UK road test of the hummer.

Finally, a Hummer for the UK – was it worth the wait?

Yes, the Hummer H3 is finally here, and depending on your sense of taste, you’ll either be rejoicing or rolling in the aisles. The H3 is the model that’s been on a diet – it’s more refined and luxurious than the hardcore H2 and ex-military spec H1. It arrives in the UK in August.

This is the type-approved vehicle that has undergone a range of minor mechanical and design tweaks to meet legal requirements for markets outside America. It’s built on a new GM production line in South Africa, the result of a $100 million investment.

By the end of the year, the sole Manchester dealer should be joined by two more dealers in London and Birmingham, and Hummer will be organising Hummer Happenings around the country – a mobile off-road show that shows off the Hummer’s off-road abilities.

Yup, the H3 has the same distinctive styling as the H2 and H1: huge wheelarches, foursquare stance, tank-turret cabin and lots of chrome. It has plenty of visual character. The Hummer is big, bold, overt and completely unapologetic about how it looks and goes.

For the vast majority of potential buyers those characteristics will mean it will be immediately scratched off the list of must-drives. But for the few – and with around 100 sales predicted this year, they are mercifully few – those very same qualities will make it hugely appealing.

How much will it cost?

Prices have yet to be announced for the H3 but expect a £31,000 sticker come April, when it arrives in right-hand-drive form. That’s within striking distance of a good-spec Discovery, Rx350, XC90 or Touareg - a lot of money for the experience of driving an overblown Fisher Price toy.

And that’s before you factor in economy, which is unlikely to ever pass 19mpg, and depreciation which should mimic a very heavy piano nudged off a very high cliff.

What it’s like inside?

Small, in a word. Despite Discovery-like external dimensions, the H3’s cabin offers little more room that a Focus hatchback and boot space is comically small. Seven seats? You’re having a Turkish… You sit high, but despite chairs that have a surprising amount of adjustability, the rake-only adjustable steering wheel leaves you too close to the dash for a high-knees-low-elbows driving position.

Visibility through the gun-slight windows is also heavily restricted. Even the build quality is second-rate, matched by the standard of materials used throughout the interior.

It doesn't sound good…

No, and it gets worse when you drive it. With a mighty 2654kg kerb weight, the five-cylinder 3.7-litre engine has its work cut out. But work doesn’t seem high on the engine’s list of priorities, not when there’s constantly vibrating, sounding coarse and drinking vast amounts of fuel to be done.

The slow-thinking four-speed automatic (there’s a five speed manual on offer, too) makes progress even more painful, either kicking down reluctantly or dropping two gears at once and sending the engine into paroxysms of red-line anguish. There are comedy-levels of pitch, dive and roll, the brakes are snatchy and the suspension excels at constantly juddering occupants. A diesel engine is in the offing, but don't expect anything until the back end of 2008.

I guess it’s pretty effective in the mud?

It’s all but unstoppable. One of the tenets of the Hummer brand is unparalleled off-road ability, and with its ladder-frame chassis, zero overhangs and full gamut of trail-blazing gear, you can pretty much point the H3 at any obstacle and it will clamber over or through it. Fine when you live in the Himalayan foothills or on Namibia’s Sosussvlei. Not much good in central Manchester.

Verdict

The H3 is being launched in the same month that GM also unveiled the ground-breaking Chevrolet Volt, an electro-petrol 150mpg hybrid. It’s stylish, quick, frugal and intelligent. Everything the H3 is not. Hummer’s logo is ‘Like Nothing Else’. How very true.

dd18, check the ads in the back of the bangkok post. hummers are advertisied.

and to MID, why is it a selfish vehicle? are you talking about fuel consumption? what?

if youre saying its some kind of elitest thing than i would ask what that 'vehicle' is in your avatar.

dd18, check the ads in the back of the bangkok post. hummers are advertisied.

and to MID, why is it a selfish vehicle? are you talking about fuel consumption? what?

if youre saying its some kind of elitest thing than i would ask what that 'vehicle' is in your avatar.

which part of global warming have you missed ???

a study in the us , claimed to be the most exhaustive ever on motoring environmental impact , has concluded that many 4x4s are more eco-friendly than the hybrid toyota prius.

the range rover sport , jeep grand cherokee and the toyota landcruiser are all better for the environment than the prius - or for that matter , any other hybrid.

the 2 year study was done by oregon based cnw marketing research.

rather than just using fuel consumption - the extent of most politicians , film stars and web board pundits eco-thinking - the cnw study uses total environmental impact , from dust to dust.

it not only takes into account fuel consumption and factory manufacturing costs , but also factors in all of the parts plus the energy used in research and development.

even the energy used by workers commuting to the factories , to make the parts , is taken into consideration. so is a cars recyclability and durability. credit is given to cars that last longer.

the report concludes that the greenest car of all is the toyota scion xb , a small car made for the us market.

of the cars available in the uk , the greenest is a jeep wrangler , the toyota yaris is second , the toyota corolla third and the ford focus fifth.

the dust to dust energy cost of a prius is almost five times higher than a yaris and astonishingly , the range rover sport is 25% greener than the prius.

the worst 4x4 is the porsche cayenne , and the hybrid lexus rx400h scores lower than the stock range rover.

hybrids do poorly because of low durability of key components , so vehicles are likely to be scrapped sooner and the high disposal costs of batteries and electric engines.

bashing purchasing decisions solely on fuel consumption does not get to the heart of the energy usage issue.

most 4x4s do well because they are easy to manufacture , use simple grade , easily recyclable steel and have good durability. the prius will last 100,000 miles before major replacement costs , the landcruiser will last three times longer.

Edited by taxexile

a study in the us , claimed to be the most exhaustive ever on motoring environmental impact , has concluded that many 4x4s are more eco-friendly than the hybrid toyota prius.

the range rover sport , jeep grand cherokee and the toyota landcruiser are all better for the environment than the prius - or for that matter , any other hybrid.

the 2 year study was done by oregon based cnw marketing research.

rather than just using fuel consumption - the extent of most politicians , film stars and web board pundits eco-thinking - the cnw study uses total environmental impact , from dust to dust.

it not only takes into account fuel consumption and factory manufacturing costs , but also factors in all of the parts plus the energy used in research and development.

even the energy used by workers commuting to the factories , to make the parts , is taken into consideration. so is a cars recyclability and durability. credit is given to cars that last longer.

the report concludes that the greenest car of all is the toyota scion xb , a small car made for the us market.

of the cars available in the uk , the greenest is a jeep wrangler , the toyota yaris is second , the toyota corolla third and the ford focus fifth.

the dust to dust energy cost of a prius is almost five times higher than a yaris and astonishingly , the range rover sport is 25% greener than the prius.

the worst 4x4 is the porsche cayenne , and the hybrid lexus rx400h scores lower than the stock range rover.

hybrids do poorly because of low durability of key components , so vehicles are likely to be scrapped sooner and the high disposal costs of batteries and electric engines.

bashing purchasing decisions solely on fuel consumption does not get to the heart of the energy usage issue.

most 4x4s do well because they are easy to manufacture , use simple grade , easily recyclable steel and have good durability. the prius will last 100,000 miles before major replacement costs , the landcruiser will last three times longer.

This makes sense to me, I have often wondered if they consider the whole picture when deciding how green a product is,

However I still think there is room for a lot of improvment on a wrangler jeep, landcruiser or hummer when it comes to being green, cant we make a more economical car that is easy to manufacture , use simple grade , easily recyclable steel and has good durability,

MM

that aimed at me tax ?

if so it's well wide of the mark ........................

its not aimed at anybody , it was just something that i read about recently and it surprised me.

i thought it would add to the discussion here.

there is so much anti 4x4 feeling around , not so much in thailand , but in europe and especially the uk , where they are taxed disproportionately and owners are made to feel like criminals.

if the report i quoted is based on sound scientific principles , then it shows that the vehicles that are derided as dirty along with their owners who are seen as selfish are in fact doing less harm to the environment than so called green cars.

the hummer is an awful machine for many reasons , and why anybody would want one is beyond me , they are tasteless , badly designed , they scream "look at me !" , they drive terribly and are poorly made , but they probably do less harm to the environment than many supposedly green cars.

but they probably do less harm to the environment than many supposedly green cars.

thanxs tax ,

on the above we will have to disagree ,

just on the footprint alone they remain selfish ................................

Further, it has a wider track than other cars, imagine it puffing while trying to navigate a narrow off-road

I don't have to imagine, they were all over Bangkok after the coup. One came trundling down my narrow soi complete with turret mounted machine gun. God help any motorist heading towards it in the opposite direction.

Oh I forgot the real reason I want a hummer, the mounted machine gun turret, to get rid of all the boring old f**ts who want to tell u how to live your life.

Pug-ugly and waaaay too big for use in BKK or anywhere else in LoS for that matter.

If you really, really want one try:-

Niche Cars Company Limited

283 Srinakarin Road

Huamark, Bangkapi

Bangkok, 10240

Thailand

66 (0)2 379 4422 ext.114

They are the Thai distributor according to hummer.com

Saw a cute little flipper lady driving an H3 in Manila, apart from being barely able to see out she was really struggling shoehorning it round the (wide compared to BKK) back streets, I'm not convinced it's viable here as anything other than a willy (or boob) extension piece :o

Edited by Crossy

So why do you want to buy a Hummer in Thailand?

If it breaks down in the middle of nowhere, do you think the local repair shop will be able to find the engine, never mind get you going again :o

This is the land where you need to keep it simple and straighforward. Get yourself a 4WD Isuzu, probably as tough as a Hummer and you wont have problem staying inlane on the Rangsit :D

I'd be careful, I seem to recall that Hummers were listed at the top of the Gay Icon car list (closely followed by Smart Cars)

Not that I have anything against Gays, far from it, but if you are thinking.... 'Hummer = Pussy Magnet' you might be in for a shock.