Russia says its Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine is 92% effective

snoop1130

92 per cent! 

Beating Pfizer's 90 per cent effective vaccine. After the problems the Russians had with their first attempt, who would have guessed the second would come in with flying colors and beat Pfizer's/BionTech's vaccine just days later.

"I can see no a priori reason to disbelieve these results, but it's so very hard to comment, because there is so little data there," said Danny Altmann, a professor of Immunology at Imperial College London.

No reason to worry.

Edited by Dcheech
  • Like 1

It could be but it would require a level of cooperation between nations on a scale never seen before.

And of course there would be some nations which would flat out refuse to take part.

Could you imagine a huge medical team from countries like the USA and Europe being allowed into North Korea to treat people there?

2 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

The real question about vaccines is how long will they be effective?  No vaccine will be successful it loses effectiveness in 4 months as has been reported.

Actually vaccine effectiveness tails off rather than suddenly stops becomming ineffective. But lets say it is 90% effective for 4 months. That is equivalent to a 4 month shutdown. The virus might never survive it if the whole population took the vaccine. Of course, life is never like that - it would probably take at least 4 months to roll out the vaccine in a large country. And you would have lots of dumb people who would take the first shot but not the second. But just a 90% effectiveness rate tailing off after 4 months would allow the economy to open up again, to fly and use hotels probably with some use of masks in crowded places etc. I would take that. For the really vulnerable, you could give them their shots every six months.

17 hours ago, Dcheech said:

92 per cent! 

Beating Pfizer's 90 per cent effective vaccine. After the problems the Russians had with their first attempt, who would have guessed the second would come in with flying colors and beat Pfizer's/BionTech's vaccine just days later.

No reason to worry.

I think I would trust the Germans more than I would the Russians in their claims.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Noticed this thread, then today say this news story:

Three medical workers who took Russian vaccine reportedly infected with COVID-19
New York Post | By Yaron Steinbuch | November 11, 2020 | 7:35am

Three vaccinated Russian doctors catch COVID-19 as country claims its drug beats Pfizer’s

BGR | by Chris Smith | November 12th, 2020 at 2:43 PM

14 minutes ago, Dmitry2222 said:
10 hours ago, RichCor said:

ok, let me tell you a secret, a vaccine is not a guarantee that you won't get sick. it may happen, but in a mild form.

You shouldn't be telling secrets Dmitry.

The news stories are bunk.  Just because 3 vaccinated people later becoming Covid-19 positive means nothing. It's statistically insignificant, and there are too many reasons to explain why 3 vaccinations may have failed.

When the self-serving writer of these news stories can show 300 or 3000 similar instances then I might be interested in actually reading the article. What I want to see are after-action studies, what is the overall efficacy, duration of protection, side-effects, can this vaccine protect the inoculated against American stupid (that will be an ever ongoing infection vector threat).