Planning ahead, for a 4 week trip back to UK next year. Can I actually get back into Thailand easily?

Hi guys, first a few details. I live/stay in Pattaya most of the year. I have a Non- Imm type O visa ( retirement) obtained in Thailand 3 years ago. I get yearly extensions no problem , latest one June 2020. I also purchased a Single Re-entry Stamp. I am over 50 , a condo owner and have 800K in bank. I would like to visit UK (Im from UK) around April 2021 for maybe 4 weeks as not been back for 18mths already. I would like to know can I re-enter Thailand based on this, if not what are my other options? I dont want to apply for OA if can be avoided. And I dont want to pay for insurance if can be avoided to.

I am still legally married to a Thai since 2011, in England. I have copy of marriage certificate to, but we are not together ( or even speaking). Does help me be allowed back into Thailand ? I fly Heathrow to Savarnabhumi direct btw.

I also have a half Thai son age 8 born in UK but lives in Thailand with me, does this allow me back into Thailand? He stays in my condo with my GF when I travel to UK, he has done nearly 4 years now, and goes to school in Pattaya.With all these covid changes I just want to be sure I can get back easy....Thankyou in advance.

Hi, so is having a half thai son in Thailand,or still being married to a Thai ( She lives in England) my best re-entry card?

Do I need to do anything or just present papers at  passport control in savarnabhumi ? I carry papers for both btw. Yes I know hoops move daily, just getting a feel of what I can expect...thankyou

4 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Do I need to do anything or just present papers at  passport control in savarnabhumi ?

You need a COE before travelling.  Read the link supplied above for info on how to get that currently.

Edited by treetops

First thing is to apply for Certificate of Entry

For non-Thai who own property in Thailand

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, foreigners who own property in Thailand can apply for non-B visa and the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  

Required documents : 

1. Your passport copy 
  2. Copy of property ownership document (condominium) in Thailand, or proof of purchase of such property and relevant documents
  3. Copy of bank statements of a Thai bank account with deposit at least 3 million baht (approx. £77,000), or Thai government bonds at least 3 million baht
  4. Copy of bank statement of a UK/Irish bank account with deposit at least 500,000 baht (approx. £12,800) for the past 6 months
  5. Declaration form
  6. A copy of flight confirmation
  7. A copy of ASQ booking confirmation

2 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Do I need to do anything or just present papers at  passport control in savarnabhumi ? I carry papers for both btw. Yes I know hoops move daily, just getting a feel of what I can expect...thankyou

No

You have to apply for a certificate of entry at the embassy in London.

See: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So your returning to UK for a catch up. 

You will be able to return to Thailand however will need to be based on parent of a Thai or marriage. The requirements are not easy. Also you have a current permission of stay till June with a single reentry permit. 

Ubonjoe will be along to give you links and expert advice.

Personally I wouldn't do it. 

There is of course the SETV option now and no obligation to be the parent of  Thai nor married.  His desire not to have insurance is the issue as of course Covid insurance remains obligatory until we know otherwise. 

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

The requirements change every week or month, nobody knows how the situation is in 6 months.

Ask this question again in March next year.

I too need to return next year for our business here in LoS. I'll be asking the question again in NOVEMBER next year..

If it is important that you can come back to Thailand I would be putting on hold any International travel.

The answer to your question is "how long is a piece of string ?"

The current situation is as you should know that the virus is rife in the UK & the Embassy is not going to make it easy for you.

In 6 months who knows ? Could be over, could be worse.

I certainly thought in March that we would be all clear by now but 8 months later it is worse.

Good Luck

• Like 1

And you face the prospect of self-isolating for two weeks on entering the UK if you've transited through a country not on the UK Government "safe" list.  Although Thailand is on the list, a direct flight is your best bet, you find all of the usual suspects in the middle east are not on the Governments list.Thai Airways or Eva both fly direct and a transit via Singapore or Helsinki are doable, but pricey.

I would expect to stay for anywhere up to 12 to 18 months before being able to return to Thailand without ASQ although this is my sole opinion based on vaccine being administered to most people in Thailand by that time but who knows what might happen. 

I will be travelling out of Thailand myself soon with this plan to stay out for 12-18 months in mind.

The link that UbonJoe provided lists the following requirements for spouse/children entry;

--------------------------->

For family members of Thai nationals (spouse/children)

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, spouse and children of a Thai national can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  

Required documents : 

1. Your passport copy and your spouse's or child’s passport copy
  2. Copy of marriage certificate or birth certificate
  3. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses in Thailand no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand
  4. Declaration form
  5. A copy of flight confirmation
  6. A copy of ASQ booking confirmation

If your visa has expired, you have to apply for a new visa. Please see our visa page for more detail.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

What you need to present at airlines check-in counter and upon arrival in Thailand:

1. The Certificate of Entry 
  2. Declaration form (with updated flight)
  3. Fit to Fly health certificate, issued within 72 hours before departure – this is a statement by a doctor that you are free from symptoms and fit to fly (must be separate from COVID test)
  4. COVID-19 test result, with a laboratory output indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure
  5. Copy of your health insurance policy which covers COVID-19 and no less than 100,000 USD
  6. Copy of your confirmed booking at an ASQ hotel
  7. T.8 form 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, ok I will stay put for now Too many hoops. I dont want to get stuck in UK .  Which is why I asked the question. ... Answered politely by most.

ps It took me 8 months to get my refund from BA. So Im very wary of booking anything atm. And PP? never again.

Edited by Rolanddrums

Covered in other threads already but OP may not be aware than existing NON-O holders with extensions and re-entry permits are now eligible for return to Thailand (with CoE, Covid insurance and quaratine). I would keep monitoring the situation before buying flight tickets or making firm travel plans though just in case things change in the intervening months. Of course things could improve further in that time making it even easier. We can all hope.