TripAdvisor slaps warning on Thailand's 'Sea View Resort & Spa' review page

webfact

17 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Clearly you are not Wesley Barnes but thanks for pretending you are and not pressing charges.

Oh...and I forgot to let you know that: I write and sign under my own ( first) name which is more than I can say about some poster (Obviously not talking about you ) accusing me of trying to impersonate  someone. You have to improve your reading skills, pal, it might help with the understanding, but that is one step further.

After the warning notice was posted, the hotel said it was “deeply disappointed” 

I have no pity, it was self inflicted by their own stupidity. They won the battle but lost the war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/world/asia/thailand-hotel-tripadvisor-jail.html

Mr. Barnes was arrested in September and spent two nights in jail as he tried to make bail. He faced two years in prison.

Tripadvisor began paying his legal fees and helped bring the parties together to negotiate.

in a statement that resembled a forced confession, he apologized and thanked the hotel for forgiving him.

The fine print of the settlement also required Mr. Barnes to obtain an agreement from Tripadvisor, and he asked the company for a commitment that it would not post a “red badge” warning — Tripadvisor’s most dreaded notice — on the hotel’s page.

“That was problematic for us,” Mr. Young said. “The settlement agreement basically required Mr. Barnes to convince Tripadvisor to stop acting like Tripadvisor.”

With that, the charges were dismissed last week and the police returned his passport and bail money.

In the meantime, Tripadvisor began drafting a new type of warning that it posted on Wednesday, after Mr. Barnes had reached his destination outside Thailand. The warning comes with a penalty: a substantial drop in the hotel’s ranking on the website.

In its statement, the Sea View accused Tripadvisor of reneging on its commitment by posting the new notice. “We fail to understand how Tripadvisor going back on their word, and not being impartial, is helpful to any of the parties involved in this case,” the hotel said.

Tripadvisor countered that the company was not a party to the settlement and that its commitment was to Mr. Barnes to keep him out of prison. “We have no agreement with the hotel,” Mr. Young said. “We sent a letter to Mr. Barnes taking steps to ensure his safety. We told the hotel the letter was accurate when they asked. We also have not violated any terms of the letter.”

On 11/12/2020 at 9:22 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Whatever the truth about the staff being aggressive, it's entirely the hotel's right to charge corkage, IMO, and the guy obviously doesn't know much about Thailand, IMO, to post such reviews while still living in the country.

I agree, wait till you leave to make them. It's much safer.

• 1 month later...