TripAdvisor slaps warning on Thailand's 'Sea View Resort & Spa' review page

webfact

On 11/12/2020 at 10:08 AM, camble said:

The resort has raised it’s rates to make up for the lost revenue.

Based on the TripAdvisor warning they'll now have to jack up their prices to maybe 5,000 or 10,000 THB per night.  Which will be ok because all the local supporters of censorship and using defamation laws to throw ice-water on reviewers will no doubt flock to the Seaview in support of this poor, maligned business.  Perhaps they should start a Go Fund Me campaign to make up lose revenue.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

Based on the TripAdvisor warning they'll now have to jack up their prices to maybe 5,000 or 10,000 THB per night.  Which will be ok because all the local supporters of censorship and using defamation laws to throw ice-water on reviewers will no doubt flock to the Seaview in support of this poor, maligned business.  Perhaps they should start a Go Fund Me campaign to make up lose revenue.

I booked the Emerald Cove resort for 1700, including their great breakfast buffet.  It’s a 5-star resort and I’ve stayed there 20 times since it opened in 2004.  Stayed at the Sea View 12 years ago and never went back.

3 hours ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

That's a possibility however TripAdvisor isn't some expat teacher living in Thailand who is easy to slap around.  TripAdvisor is a successful corporate entity with deep pockets, lawyers, and a social media platform of their own.  If a sole entity like Seaview used the courts with the explicit or implicit approval of ministries like the TAT then Thailand wouldn't have to worry about the government's reaction to Covid ruining the tourism industry.  Try to toss a TripAdvisor exec into jail or take other actions to censor their platform in Thailand and they'd have the attention of the global main-stream media and every other travel site which publishes hotel and trip reviews.
Look at the global press coverage of Barnes incarceration.  Now multiply that by 100.

3 Billion $ company the last time I looked, the press would make mince meat of that hotel if they had one of TA executives locked up

On 11/13/2020 at 9:36 AM, GinBoy2 said:

So Yes, the guy writing the reviews was a jerk.

But who do you think gave Thailand the bad name?

The jerk, who's reviews would have been quickly forgotten and lost in the other reviews.

Or the global media storm surrounding the use of draconian Thai defamation laws, which ended up in a farang in a detention cell.

Hmmm, let me think!

You talk that this law is thailand.it is all over the world this law.Seems you do not know this.They are also not draconian.Why do you expect other country to abide by what you think.The hotel could have had him sent to jail.They chose not to ,but let him apologise for his stupid vendetta actions.He did not do one review.he did many on everywere he could find.And his review was totaly wrong about the hotel.Why should a hotel loose money.If it was your hotel .you would think differently.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:24 AM, mark131v said:

Nope and don't really care how the paying customer behaved, how the hotel behaved on the other hand is shocking...

Are you one of those people who believe if you wai and kiss ass you'll be accepted as an equal? 

I have no wish to dumb myself down and care nothing of how an uneducated Thai thinks of me, it's irrelevant

You know nothing about me.But i know how to behave in another country.I do not have to wai or kiss ass.

4 hours ago, Watchful said:

According to what I read, the reviewer was arrested and spent the weekend in jail. 

I think all potential travelers should know about this risk. In most countries, arguments over defamation are handled in civil vs criminal court. 

If travelers to Thailand consider this an acceptable risk, that is fine. My point is they should be warned of the risk PRIOR to booking flights or hotels.

4 hours ago, Watchful said:

According to what I read, the reviewer was arrested and spent the weekend in jail. 

I think all potential travelers should know about this risk. In most countries, arguments over defamation are handled in civil vs criminal court. 

If travelers to Thailand consider this an acceptable risk, that is fine. My point is they should be warned of the risk PRIOR to booking flights or hotels.

Yes they should.But do you need to be told how to behave in life.Im happy that this happend to this man.It has taught him a lesson.And i hope others have seen this.maybe the ass hls comming to thailand for first time.understand how to behave.I do not advise any body to visit thailand.If you not there, it not happen ,so you at fault.And laws for you and not for them.But in this case.the farang was 100% wrong.

22 hours ago, Thomas Hannah said:

You talk that this law is thailand.it is all over the world this law.Seems you do not know this.They are also not draconian.Why do you expect other country to abide by what you think.The hotel could have had him sent to jail.They chose not to ,but let him apologise for his stupid vendetta actions.He did not do one review.he did many on everywere he could find.And his review was totaly wrong about the hotel.Why should a hotel loose money.If it was your hotel .you would think differently.

Hey, Bub, you should be happy, then. The hotel did what you wanted. The hotel should be happy, too, for getting the guy to grovel and apologize. But I bet they aren't.

• Like 1

Apart from the obvious I think something else has gone on in the background that we dont know about, the American guy is out of the equation for now, why would TA continue to slap that notice across the hotels profile? TA also stand to lose from that hotel dont forget everytime a guest books TA get a percentage of that booking and indirectly when a guest see's that notice maybe they would think this applies to all hotels and not make any booking via TA and move on to another OTA site, 

Has the hotel and their lawyers threatened TA in anyway? to me TA has got to involved time to drop it and move on

On 11/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, CorpusChristie said:

..................and how many people have been prosecuted in Thailand for making honest reviews ?

Even , how many have been prosecuted for making fake reviews ?

This guy was, hence the warning, and rightfully so.

22 hours ago, Thomas Hannah said:

What other countries have defamation as a criminal offence?

18 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Apart from the obvious I think something else has gone on in the background that we dont know about, the American guy is out of the equation for now, why would TA continue to slap that notice across the hotels profile? TA also stand to lose from that hotel dont forget everytime a guest books TA get a percentage of that booking and indirectly when a guest see's that notice maybe they would think this applies to all hotels and not make any booking via TA and move on to another OTA site, 

Has the hotel and their lawyers threatened TA in anyway? to me TA has got to involved time to drop it and move on

The hotel got TA involved. They asked the guy to be sure TA would not ban them, or something similar, TA also paid his bail and waited until he was out of the country to post the warning.

The hotel had this guy put in jail, they deserve the warning.

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, because he didnt pay bail money , had he paid bail money, he wouldnt have been put in a cell 

He was put in a cell when he was arrested and detained for two nights. Pretty traumatic experience for anyone, I would imagine.

FYI you can't just pay bail money and get released immediately after arrest, a judge in a court sets the bail amount then orders the release. This process can take days to weeks. When you are arrested you will be detained until this process is completed.

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

The reviewer is a jerk, I don't think anyone denies that. But a couple of wacko reviews would have been lost in the noise, no one would have paid any attention, and life would have gone on, and the world would be none the wiser about Thai defamation law.

You are right on.

Go to any Tripadvisor review and look at the absolute trash on there.  People making it out like their lives were ruined because their 15.00 per night dump didn't have strong wi-fi?  Or had a bad view?  Or the food wasn't that great?  

I challenge anyone to find a review where you read one and go "oh wow, that seems completely unfair and ridiculous".  The entire website is littered with them.  

It's been put all around the world that if you do this you will end up charged with a serious offence in Thailand.  That is all there is to it.  

Once we start the downward spiral from COVID, you need to understand that it will be a huge competition to lure tourists to any country, as travellers will be few and it will take - literally - years to get the disease under control.  What we are seeing here so far from over and that is a tremendous understatement.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, Sujo said:

What other countries have defamation as a criminal offence?

Most countrys will just sue you.In thailand they just add that you can be jailed.For those that have no money. its more of a deterent.The farang was put in a cell to stop him doing a runner.You can also be put in a cell in other country.Yes you can be arrested for defamation.Normaly held for upto 24 hours.Why dont you go look up the laws in stead of bothering me.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 5:29 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, because he didnt pay bail money , had he paid bail money, he wouldnt have been put in a cell 

If the resort hadnt made a criminal defamation complaint he wouldnt be in jail.

Thats the whole point. The resort had him jailed for a review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Thomas Hannah said:

Most countrys will just sue you.In thailand they just add that you can be jailed.For those that have no money. its more of a deterent.The farang was put in a cell to stop him doing a runner.You can also be put in a cell in other country.Yes you can be arrested for defamation.Normaly held for upto 24 hours.Why dont you go look up the laws in stead of bothering me.

You made the statement. I asked you what other countries put you in jail for a defamation complaint.

You didnt answer. What countries do it?

4 minutes ago, Sujo said:

You made the statement. I asked you what other countries put you in jail for a defamation complaint.

You didnt answer. What countries do it?

I can.... Italy - Journalist can be jailed for defamation for up to 6 years. 

The Caribbean jail those found guilt of defamation. 

The Key issue with Thailands defamation laws is not the penalties, but the flawed nature of the law itself i.e. the intention to defame a third party whether comments can be proven or not. 

Just now, mark131v said:

Learn the facts before you sprout racist nonsense.

Right lets talk facts and they have all been posted endlessly, can post em but I cannot help you understand...

What do we know to be fact, a person put four negative reviews on a website, thin skinned person throws a hissy fit and gets guest jailed under a draconian control law

Makes headlines around the world and shines a light on stuff Thailand would rather keep out of the spotlight

Thai hotel realises they have opened a can of worms and cannot get the lid back on and the loss of face becomes epic

Hotel then tries to make it go away by trying to appear magnanimous by offering mediation to the guest they had jailed

Conclusion: The whole lot are idiots but a hotel catering to international customers has shown they have no idea how to deal with any loss of face, their overreaction has resulted in news all over the world that reflects very poorly on Thailand in general and the hotel in particular!!

Epic Thai foot in mouth... 

There was 4 reviews online, 1 was removed by Trip Advisor and only resurfaced through the hotel releasing it it's not online anywhere, removed, gone, get it!!

Reviews 2 and 3 (the second Trip Advisor and first google) were exactly the same review and who is to say if that was his honest experience

Last review pretty much a repeat re-worded version of 2,3 and could very well be his true and honest observation's, again impossible to tell!

Review 1 that was actually removed by Trip Advisor until the hotel re-issued it as part of their damage limitation exercise:

Modern Slavery 29th June Removed by Trip advisor and not online

Do not sleep here! Don’t support modern day slavery of Thai people! The staff are not friendly because of their management. The foreigners treat staff like slaves. There is one that is really bad. He is from the Czech Republic. He is the restaurant manager. Not only does he treat the staff like slaves, he also act’s like he is more important and better than the guest’s in the hotel. Please do not support this modern day slavery. There are lots of other hotels on the island

Review 2 on Trip advisor 3rd July

Unfriendly staff and horrible restaurant manager

Unfriendly staff, no one ever smiles. They act like they don’t want anyone there. The restaurant manager was the worst. He is from the Czech Republic. He is extremely rude and impolite to guests. Find another place. There are plenty with nicer staff that are happy with you staying with them

Review 3 first on google: Roughly between 21-9 Aug

Word perfect same as review 2 on Trip Advisor see above

Review 4 on google the final review: a week after the first google review

The staff was not friendly. Nobody could smile. The restaurant manager was very rude and full of himself. He is from the Czech Republic. There are other hotels with better- friendlier staff. Avoid this place as if it was the Coranovirus!

So essentially 3 reviews 1 off which had already been removed by Trip Advisor, how petty vindictive and frankly bonkers is that?!!!

All you drama queens and hang em highs need to go and give your heads a good wobble, it’s pathetic and stupid and I am really glad Sea View have been found out…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its nothing to do with either being an apologist or being Thaier than Thai .

I have an opinion based of the facts of the story , your opinion seems to be based on where people come from .

Eagerly awaiting the imminent arrival of your 'facts' shan't hold my breath...