Lucky 13 Sandwich going international

Lucky 13 Sandwich going international

lucky13sandwich_77068443_103661981081717_4766246808828423222_n.jpg

We’ve met the team of Lucky 13 Sandwich, behind the scenes in their On Nut Branch in Bangkok, for a chat about how they envision a future in the restaurant scene in Thailand. It’s a very unclear and anxious time for most businesses, but not for Lucky 13 Sandwich. With a recent branch opening in Hua Hin on 2nd November and the next location in Bangkok on Sukhumvit Soi 11 on 14th November, business is going well.

You have very likely tried one of these premium sandwiches, burgers or wraps, if you’ve been around Phuket over the past decade. They have shifted the perspective on fast food in Phuket, by showing very high standards otherwise fairly rare, to the tropical scenery. In the midst of tourist traps and mediocre food options, the Sandwich franchise grew on popular local demand. From 1 branch to now 13 branches selling more than 1 million sandwiches, it is a force to be reckoned with. 

Getting lucky in Thailand has recently gotten a whole new meaning, if you ask the team behind the successful Sandwich franchise. “We are very specific about which Franchise candidates we work with, but an invitation to join our enterprise is a gift that keeps on giving” the Master Franchisor of Region South Thailand, Diego Kuo says confidently and continues: “The times has changed and while we may have been a quiet voice in the midst of many louder ones in the past, we have now blossomed into one of the most scalable and marketable Franchise opportunities in the country”. Diego refers to the many corporate enterprises that has experienced a detrimental free-fall and lost their relation into the environment as a side-effect to the pandemic responses.

“The financial repercussions seems to have caused a great deal of disloyalty inside the larger organisations. It appears there’s a lack of direction or vision for how to move forward. Decision-makers are out of touch with reality and it gives us a very competitive edge, because we are here. We see what’s happening on the streets, in the hotels, the bars, entertainment venues and everywhere else. The link into the “real-world” suddenly becomes a critical condition for business success. This is what we have and our expansion in the midst of the greatest collapse in our time, is proof of that” Diego says.

More than 400 customers arrived on the opening of Lucky 13 Sandwich in Hua Hin on the 2nd November, and the new Franchisee Benjamin Breyton has continued to beat expectations, every single day since. “People seem very excited to see what we’re all about and the general response from the customers is unbelievable. People love the product and go a long way to help us gain popularity through word of mouth and sharing their experience on social media” Diego states. Emily the Operations manager for region south Thailand, verifies the difference between Lucky 13 Sandwich and other organisations. “It’s the way the company fosters an openness to the entrepreneurial spirit”, and goes onto say: “Since the day I arrived and throughout my journey with the company, I’ve been given opportunities to expand on my own personal visions and ambitions, to a degree that I had never dreamt of. It doesn’t feel like a job at all, I feel free to work and pursue the goals I set for myself, in the way I feel best about it, without limits.”

“I started as an assistant manager in a branch in Phuket and within one year I was Operations Manager, for 6 Franchises and now I’ve become the regional operations manager for region south Thailand” she says referring to the very open nature of new generation thinking and welcoming approach to changing the norms. “When I say free, it doesn’t mean that the organisation acknowledges laziness or excuses. Actually, there’s a ruthless commitment across all fronts on getting things done. Intimidating for some, but motivating as hell, if you like to go places. Working in L13 means you need to have an open mind and face overwhelming challenges, at times. What’s not to like?” Emily continues with a big laugh. 

lucky13sandwich_80047952_179462696538602_5535952435874205857_n.jpg

With 8 years of developing their premium sandwich franchise platform, starting from scratch in a shophouse in Rawai, Phuket, it has finally reached the critical point in time where it all comes together. With branches in Phuket, Phi Phi Island, Bangkok and Hua Hin and more locations on the way, the direction is crystal clear. Almost a decade of fine tuning the gourmet sandwich menu, bakery, central kitchen and logistics system, the Franchisee’s are getting what Jimmy Kavanaugh calls: “The perfect F&B solution to the new normal. Simple as that!” 

Jim also known as “The Kroc” is the Master Franchisor of Bangkok and joined the team back in May 2019. After lots of preliminary planning, he opened his first branch in People Park, On Nut, in September 2019, just few months before the pandemic ensued. “It was certainly a roller coaster ride, through very unfamiliar territory. I don’t think anyone could call themselves an expert in operating a business through a global pandemic.” Referring to the major confusion that was delaying the expansion plans that was underway. Jim continues: “It has been a make or break moment for every restaurateur in Bangkok. Luckily, we have a long-term mentality in everything we do and are able to zoom out and consider the crisis with all its ups and downs, in a positive perspective. The post-Covid era will need F&B solutions that has adapted to the new normal. I believe we are unmatched in this position in the market.” 

Jim together with his son Joseph and wife Fah is busy at work preparing the new branch located within the bar “One for the road” on 33/24 Sukhumvit soi 11, right across from Insanity nightclub. With only a few more days to go before the opening, Jim and Diego has joined forces to make sure the launch gets full throttle on all fronts. 

122895189_393060975410670_7033017616939294668_n.jpg

Lucky 13 Sandwich On Nut

As if the team weren’t busy enough, they report on extensive interest in Franchises across the country, from Pattaya, Rayong, Krabi, Samui, Chiang Mai and other places, simultaneously. “There’s no doubt that we will be nation wide within 18 months” Diego confidently confirms and continues: “We have plans in place to expand with the right landlords, in key locations and with Franchise operators that are able to convert existing premises to successful venues, at a fraction of the cost of the pre-Covid era.” Referring to one of the major upsides in the present moment market conditions. 

In addition to this, the co-founder and CEO Daniel Baven has taken a back seat in the Thailand operations, as he focusses on the international expansion. First opening is being rolled out in Copenhagen as we speak. It has not been possible to get an exact date on when this happens, but the team verifies that it will be within November as well. The approach in Denmark however will be slightly different. Daniel decided to embark on a new type of business model for the Danish market, with less focus on physical representation and is going all-in on a new phenomenon in the F&B sector, namely cloud kitchens. While Daniel is currently in Denmark, we were able to reach him on a call wherein he describes in more detail: “Cloud kitchens is going to revolutionise the western world in a far greater degree than in the east, since the cost structures of the restaurant business and general price index is a looming disaster for established enterprises. I will go to a great extend to avoid building a business model on top of what is already an unsafe place. Cloud kitchens is one of the most explosive markets in first world countries, as it is slow in its adaptation from the larger enterprises and provide a striking chance for early adopters, to get a foot in the door.”

He says that once again, just like he did 8 years ago, he is standing at the right place, at the right time. “This is not rocket science. It’s practically basic math.” He says with a long pause. 

“We can tap right into large national distribution and logistics networks. A network that many existing brick and mortar businesses cannot afford, due to their very thin margins. Besides, Lucky 13 Sandwich is a perfect product for delivery. It travels really, really well.”

Daniel goes on to state that the long-term goal is to establish key location “brick and mortar” venues in Denmark, in the form of Express kiosk versions. These will be equipped with QR codes and adopt late technology for take-away and delivery. This is not going to be of interest until the market has stabilised and more reasonable to the restaurateur. We will build our internal systems and supply chain, through the cloud before we roll out physical spaces. “I don’t think anyone would do it any differently, if they understood the principles of a cloud kitchen network and how expensive the operational costs currently are”. 

We will keep a close eye on the coming expansion projects in Lucky 13 Sandwich and their successful expansion into the new regions and countries. 

• Haha 1