My way back to Thailand – from Non O to Non OA for Reason of Retirement

15 hours ago, Piscis said:

On November 9th, i received my Fit to Fly certficate from Medicare at Munich airport and the required negative PCR test result. (both must be issued less than 72 hours prior departure):

Thanks for the write up.Some useful information there.On this point in quotes.Did you get the fit to fly certificate and PCR test done with the same company/ doctor?.And I assume they are two different pieces of paperwork?

Thanks

Sorry about the bad luck with the timing.  It seems that nobody had a clue when the retirement extension and re-entry permit would be accepted for a return to Thailand.  Unfortunately any change in policy is not planned and announced.  That leaves all of us flying by the seat of our pants.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks DogNo1. Since mid October was preparing for both, entry on my old NON O extension and getting a new Visa NON OA from scratch. I knew that some documents for the NON OA might need some time, so i started the process getting all paper together, even if i still had hope at that time to use my NON O extension again. Finally it was just about 5 days... LOL

Acctually i am very thankfull that Thailand opened up a little bit more step by step to make it possible for me to return at all! I have no bad feelings what so ever... Just happy to be here again!

Best Regards,

John

• Like 1

I did the same from the US.  Went for the O-A because non-o wasn't on the list.  Just after I got the visa they put Non-o and TR on the list.  I had been on a Non-o (r) for the last 3 years.  I wish I could have kept it.  

I am currently in the air on a flight.  Entering quarantine soon.

Just a heads up, Qatar hasn't really enforced the mask wearing that much.  Walking back and forth to the bathroom I have seen many people without one.  I find it odd because they give you a face shield and say you have to wear both items.  But lots of people aren't.   At least on the DFW to DOH leg.  Not sure what it will be like on the final leg.  The leg from BHM to DFW the mask rule was strictly enforced.   Just FYI for any who care.

• Like 1

I've given up on getting a Non OA in the US due to the paperwork challenges. I'm now going the Non O route since it now appears to be an option to get back in.  I am planning on applying for a retirement visa in BKK.

What are some options for insurance to satisfy the COE?  Any company recommendations etc. appreciated.

I don't have evidence written on any site except direct experience from a close friend who is now doing quarantene in bkk, but i can state positively that he was able to come back with a simple nonO and re-entry permit.

Coe from thai authorities in Italy. I read somewhere that the thai embassy website of paris states it is possible, but i didn't check.

Surely my friend succeeded.

7 hours ago, farangkrab said:

What are some options for insurance to satisfy the COE?  Any company recommendations etc. appreciated.

When under 70 years of age the SafetyWing < https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance > travel-insurance package includes covid-19 coverage and is accepted for CoE.  Whatever your nationality or current place of residence, you can subscribe to that decent and generous insurance policy at a premium often LOWER than the ridiculous TGIA covid-19 only insurance policies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and at this time, i did not have to install any APP to my phone, and no GPS wrist band was given to me. However, they might change that as well... I heard they want to have foreigners wear a GPS wrist band with temperature controll function...

John

Edited by Piscis

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When under 70 years of age the SafetyWing < https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance > travel-insurance package includes covid-19 coverage and is accepted for CoE.  Whatever your nationality or current place of residence, you can subscribe to that decent and generous insurance policy at a premium often LOWER than the ridiculous TGIA covid-19 only insurance policies.

actually the cost of the tgia policies varies greatly depending on tour age and which country you are coming from. I priced it for a 65 - 69 years old  coming from Japan and it was significantly cheaper cheaper than SafetyWinfg for 4 weeks. (Safety Wings = $138 vs tgia = 2,564 baht).

Of course Safety Wings provides coverage for more than COVID whereas tgia does not, and that should be a consideration for anyone without other insurance,  But purely by cost,  older people and those coming from low transmisison areas may  pay less with tgia.  This is because SafetyWings cost more the older you are (whereas tgia rate is independent of age) and tgia costs less if coming from low COVID risk area  (whereas Safety Wings is independent of place of departure).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

actually the cost of the tgia policies varies greatly depending on tour age and which country you are coming from. I priced it for a 65 - 69 years old  coming from Japan and it was significantly cheaper cheaper than SafetyWinfg for 4 weeks. (Safety Wings = $138 vs tgia = 2,564 baht).

Of course Safety Wings provides coverage for more than COVID whereas tgia does not, and that should be a consideration for anyone without other insurance,  But purely by cost,  older people and those coming from low transmisison areas may  pay less with tgia.  This is because SafetyWings cost more the older you are (whereas tgia rate is independent of age) and tgia costs less if coming from low COVID risk area  (whereas Safety Wings is independent of place of departure).

Hi Sheryl,

You are of course correct, and I would recommend everybody to make the comparison between the 2 options TGIA vs Safety Wing, for their specific circumstances (age/nationality).

Yes, when you are an older national of a Low Covid Risk country, then the TGIA covid-19 ONLY insurance premium will be cheaper than the SafetyWing policy fee.

And when you are a middle-aged US or UK citizen the premium for both options will be approx same.

But in fact we are comparing apples with oranges (actually comparing one cherry with a full fruit-bowl).  TGIA only provides covid-19 coverage (till 100.000 US $), while SafetyWing provides a FULL travel-insurance package covering ANY medical treatment - including covid-19 - and this to 250.000 US $, as well as other travel-insurance benefits (like lost luggage, repatriation, etc.).

>> Only when your age does not allow you to subscribe to any other insurance that covers covid-19, would the TGIA policy be your policy of the last resort (as it is age-independant, which is of course absolutely ridiculous from an insurance-risk point of view).

5 hours ago, Piscis said:

You can go to the MFA website, choose your RTE/RTC and the type of Visa you have/wish to apply for on the dropdown list.

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

John

Wow! To think that this news wasn't even announced in Thai newspapers.

Finally, those with O retirement can enter Thailand...

Edited by EricTh

On 11/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, DogNo1 said:

Sorry about the bad luck with the timing.  It seems that nobody had a clue when the retirement extension and re-entry permit would be accepted for a return to Thailand.  Unfortunately any change in policy is not planned and announced.  That leaves all of us flying by the seat of our pants.

Is there now any official statement that an extension of a non-Imm OA or O for retirement qualifies for a COE, as distinct from the visa itself?  I've heard there are some reports that it worked for some people but I've seen nothing published.  

2 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I've heard there are some reports that it worked for some people but I've seen nothing published.  

I have seen nothing in the news about it but it has already been posted on some embassy websites plus the online certificate of entry site.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen nothing in the news about it but it has already been posted on some embassy websites plus the online certificate of entry site.

Thanks.  I'm Canadian and I just checked the Thai embassy site in Ottawa and see nothing about extensions, only visas.  And I looked on the COE site where you register and apply, and saw nothing about extensions; they ask you on the 2d page (registration) to enter the "type of permitted person" and there is an option for "long-stay visitor (Non-O)".   That doesn't to my mind include extensions (especially of non-OA which is my category).  I didn't go ahead and register so I don't know whether subsequent pages might say something but I somehow doubt it because this would be the place.  Do you know where it actually refers to extensions?

11 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I'm Canadian and I just checked the Thai embassy site in Ottawa and see nothing about extensions, only visas.  And I looked on the COE site where you register and apply, and saw nothing about extensions; they ask you on the 2d page (registration) to enter the "type of permitted person" and there is an option for "long-stay visitor (Non-O)".   That doesn't to my mind include extensions (especially of non-OA which is my category).  I didn't go ahead and register so I don't know whether subsequent pages might say something but I somehow doubt it because this would be the place. 

The info is not appearing yet on all websites. Perhaps if you check when it is Monday in North America you may find more info. 

You have to remember that when it says visa that can also be a extension of stay. Some embassy websites do mention a re-entry permit instead of visa.

You go through and apply for the COE here and upload a copy of your extension and re-entry permit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1