Is it possible to apply for O-A retirement visa inside Thailand ?

Hello.

I am in Thailand right now.

My Elite Visa will expire soon. I got the 6 free extension, and I do not want to renew it.

I am 50 years old, and I would like to apply for O-A retirement visa.

Is it possible to apply inside Thailand (without leaving the country) ?

Thank you for your advice.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

OP, just bumping your thread as you don't have advice for next step.

The PE entry is a problem. If you had entered on tourist visa or visa exempt then being 50 you could obtain non o based on retirement at imm inside Thailand and then obtain annual extension. I don't know of pathway from expired PE. My thinking is new elite 5 year best option given current situation or return to your country and obtain non O-A then return with all the yuk requirements.

Thinking you will be able to obtain 60 day extensions based on covid situation. However many mixed reports regarding those.

Ubonjoe will be along to advise. 

If you are over 50 a retirement extension is open to you, but first your permit of stay needs to be converted into a Non-Imm-O at domestic immigration. Then an Extension can be applied for. There is no insurance obligation.... had you entered with an O-A and extended there would have been. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

If you are over 50 a retirement extension is open to you, but first your permit of stay needs to be converted into a Non-Imm-O at domestic immigration. Then an Extension can be applied for. There is no insurance obligation.... had you entered with an O-A and extended there would have been. 

can a conversion to non imm be done from an elite visa entry, i think its only tourist visa and visa exempt entries, where it can be done inside Thailand

13 minutes ago, steve187 said:

can a conversion to non imm be done from an elite visa entry, i think its only tourist visa and visa exempt entries, where it can be done inside Thailand

I believe you are correct there, I was thinking the other way..... although I would not say it is impossible and I believe it worth asking an agent, particularly if in the Pattaya area as some unusual things are being achieved. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe you are correct there, I was thinking the other way..... although I would not say it is impossible and I believe it worth asking an agent, particularly if in the Pattaya area as some unusual things are being achieved. 

I'm pretty sure the entry on PE makes it impossible for OP to obtain non o.

In normal times he would border bounce and enter visa exempt. Obtain non o retirement at imm. I cannot think of a pathway having a PE.

Agree that seeing an agent would clarify his options. The hurdle is the non o.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

Correct. He cannot obtain a non o having entered on PE

Edited by DrJack54

A long-shot option would be to continue extending until a border bounce becomes possible.  The time period until that could be done is unknowable.

It is possible that an agent could sort things out for you.

The worst case scenario is a return to your country and re-entering on a Non OA.

Would not you be able to apply for an O-A by mail?  You would want to use a very good service like UPS or DHL You would have to mail in your passport but that would be no different than if you were in the USA. If they would not DHL it back to you perhaps you could have them send it to a relative or friend who would then send via DHL or UPS  The only issue I might see would be the medical certificate.  But perhaps they would accept one from a hospital like Bangkok or Bumgrigrad? 

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Edited by Thomas J
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Thomas J said:

The only issue I might see would be the medical certificate.  But perhaps they would accept one from a hospital like Bangkok or Bumgrigrad? 

You can use medical from Thailand. That's not the issue. Even if you did as you outlined and eventually received your pp with non O-A you would have a pp with no entry stamp. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

A long-shot option would be to continue extending until a border bounce becomes possible.  The time period until that could be done is unknowable.

It is possible that an agent could sort things out for you.

The worst case scenario is a return to your country and re-entering on a Non OA.

I seem to recall a post that it was possible to renew your Thai Elite Visa while in-country, but I can be mistaken.

But I would surely contact the Thai Elite Visa organization and ask for advice.

If they are not able to help their customers stuck outside Thailand, nor the ones that want to renew their Visa, that would be a deadly blow to their credibility...