How long did it take to receive your COE? (London)

Hi,

I'm currently in the UK and hold a BIZ visa along with a valid work permit for Thailand, based on everyone's past experiences how long did it take from the first upload of document email/post to you receiving your COE? Also did you have to attend the embassy in London at any point?

For example if I booked flights/ASQ for 15th Dec and started the process now would it be done within 4 weeks? understand the embassy is closed at the moment or at least on minimum staffing.

Thanks

58 minutes ago, Bob852 said:

Hi,

I'm currently in the UK and hold a BIZ visa along with a valid work permit for Thailand, based on everyone's past experiences how long did it take from the first upload of document email/post to you receiving your COE? Also did you have to attend the embassy in London at any point?

For example if I booked flights/ASQ for 15th Dec and started the process now would it be done within 4 weeks? understand the embassy is closed at the moment or at least on minimum staffing.

Thanks

I applied for my CoE a few weeks ago.

If you already have a visa/ work permit go to

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

register and upload the required documents you will get a code and you can then check on progress

Once your documents are checked and are in order you will get CoE pre- approval.( only took 1 day)

You now have 15 days to book your flight and ASQ

Once you have booked your flight and ASQ you upload this information.( If it is not done within 15 days you will have to make another application)

Your CoE will then be issued,( only took a few hours) you then download and print your copy.

You don’t have to attend the Embassy at any point.

The time it takes all depends how long you take to make flight and ASQ bookings.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

I applied for my CoE a few weeks ago.

If you already have a visa/ work permit go to

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

register and upload the required documents you will get a code and you can then check on progress

Once your documents are checked and are in order you will get CoE pre- approval.( only took 1 day)

You now have 15 days to book your flight and ASQ

Once you have booked your flight and ASQ you upload this information.( If it is not done within 15 days you will have to make another application)

Your CoE will then be issued,( only took a few hours) you then download and print your copy.

You don’t have to attend the Embassy at any point.

The time it takes all depends how long you take to make flight and ASQ bookings.

Thanks Tim, was there any issue with flight availability when you booked?

I also have my wife returning with me (UK citizen) holds a marriage visa, do you think that would be more difficult for her to return or same time as me since I hold a work permit.

You can only use certain airlines

EVA Air

- Emirates*

- Etihad

- Qatar Airways*

- Singapore Airlines

- Lufthansa

- Austrian Airlines

- Swiss Air

- KLM

- Air France

- Cathay Pacific

I booked with Qatar had no problem with availability.

Only EVA and Thai airways have direct flights.

I see no problem with your wife returning at the same time.

I suggest firstly that you both make separate CoE applications for pre approval ,if you both get pre approval you can then book flights and ASQ

Most of the ASQ hotels take bookings for couples.

Both of you will then have to apply separately for theCoE ,but upload the same ASQ booking and flights on both applications.

Don't forget you will need health Insurance 

Good luck

Edited by Tim16

56 minutes ago, Bob852 said:

I also have my wife returning with me (UK citizen) holds a marriage visa, do you think that would be more difficult for her to return or same time as me since I hold a work permit.

It should not be a problem for your wife if she has a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being a member of your family since it on the list of those that can apply for certificates of entry.

"(5) Non-Thai nationals who have a work permit or have been granted permission to work in the Kingdom in accordance with Thai laws, including their spouses or children"

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bob852 said:

Hi,

Thanks

It took me 2 days. First application Thursday afternoon. First approval Friday morning. Then buy ticket and book ASQ Hotel. Second part of application Friday evening.  Approved and download COE Saturday morning.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 3:14 PM, Bob852 said:

Hi,

Thanks

In London it is very quick, most in under 2 hours. Its in 2 stages. Stage 1 is pre approval, where you upload your visa, any re entry permit, passport, Covid insurance etc. Once Stage 1 aporoved you have 15 days to upload your flight and ASQ details. You may find joining this Facebook help group will be of use to you

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272003337395576/?ref=share

Edited by jimn

On 11/15/2020 at 4:31 PM, Bob852 said:

Thanks Tim, was there any issue with flight availability when you booked?

Just for info as Tim has already supplied you with airlines allowed to fly into Thailand. As he said EVA and Thai fly direct, BA not flying to Thailand at the moment. Thai only fly on a Sunday, but be aware these are used mainly as repatriation flights and these are expensive. Also they are full of Thai citizens who are untested for Covid, in my opinion a risk not necessary to take. EVA have not flown to Bangkok since Aug 14th, with the next one due Dec 12th. 

In my opinion fly either Qatar or Emirates, both excellent airlines. This flight list may help you 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijBJOTgFJPAuWUfkPIA60iniXB9j9Ba2XHafXzA6JCw/htmlview

3 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Do you apply for COE before booking FlightsASQ, my Thai partner and son are currently stuck in the U.K. with me.

Apply first (stage 1), get approved, within 15 days book flight and hotel, upload details, receive COE. Have a look at the online application here https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Do you apply for COE before booking FlightsASQ, my Thai partner and son are currently stuck in the U.K. with me. I understand that whilst Thais have to pay for flights they don’t pay for ASQ ?

The CoE application is a ‘circular process’

IF holding a valid Non-Immigrant visa the CoE can be applied for - proof of insurance and other requirements need to be met etc Once approved for CoE the flights and ASQ can be booked. Proof of Flights and ASQ booking is sent to the embassy who then issue the CoE via e-mail. 

EDIT: the CoE application process has been updated since I returned: Salerno posted the very useful link above [https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/]

------------

State Quarantine and Alternate State Quarantine are separate beasts. 

State Quarantine is provided for returning Thai’s repatriated via Embassy channels on allocated repatriation flights (that they still have to pay for). 

Alternate State Quarantine is booked by returning foreigners, who have either secured repatriation flights (allocated by their local Embassy) or have booked flights with airlines approved to carry passengers into Thailand. 

If a family wishes to stay together in Alternate State Quarantine they’ll have to book with a hotel which offers family suites (all occupants will be charged). 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 11/15/2020 at 11:11 AM, Tim16 said:

You can only use certain airlines

EVA Air

- Emirates*

- Etihad

- Qatar Airways*

- Singapore Airlines

- Lufthansa

- Austrian Airlines

- Swiss Air

- KLM

- Air France

- Cathay Pacific

Strange, is the list of airlines not the same everywhere ?

On Paris embassy's website, Air France is not listed http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/voyagecovid/

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

My Thai partner and son are with me in the U.K., would we allowed to have a family room, I enquired at the London Embassy and they said we would have to make separate people applications for a COE so not sure how they would link them ?

They don't need to link them.  You will deal directly with the ASQ hotel to arrange your stay.  The hotel will provide proof of asq for each person staying which you then upload to the individual COE application.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, roquefort said:

Anyone know how long the London embassy is taking to process O-A visa applications?

They told me i needed to book flight and ASQ when applying for the visa.

I applied in October 2020 took  less than 2 weeks from completing the on-line application to receiving my O-A visa and passport returned. This does not include the time before applying to get all the documentations required. Police CRO took about 3 weeks. So the total time was 5 weeks.

Flight and ASQ booking was not required for the O-A visa application, these are required for the Certificate of Entry application, which you apply for after you receive your visa.

Edited by Tim16

9 hours ago, Tim16 said:

I applied in October 2020 took  less than 2 weeks from completing the on-line application to receiving my O-A visa and passport returned. This does not include the time before applying to get all the documentations required. Police CRO took about 3 weeks. So the total time was 5 weeks.

Flight and ASQ booking was not required for the O-A visa application, these are required for the Certificate of Entry application, which you apply for after you receive your visa.

The on-line application does ask for travel dates and flight information.

I just entered my intended travel date and flight number. You don’t have to keep to this date and flight. Actual bookings/confirmation was not required. The visa only shows valid from and valid until dates.

The visa does show Health Insurance End date – I understand that when you get to Thailand, Immigration you will only stamp you in until the Health Insurance End date, not 1 year that you normally get with an O-A visa.

The online booking for the Tourist Visa requires us to attach evidence of flight bookings.       I don't understand why they apply different criteria for the tourist visa application to the O-A visa.

Am I missing some work around ?

Edited by jaizan

6 hours ago, jaizan said:

The online booking for the Tourist Visa requires us to attach evidence of flight bookings.

That is a standard requirement for tourist visa applications.

You will need a flight to here for the certificate of entry and they may want a ticket out of the country for the tourist visa application but you could use a one way ticket to any country that is open for arriving flights.

7 hours ago, jaizan said:

The online booking for the Tourist Visa requires us to attach evidence of flight bookings.       I don't understand why they apply different criteria for the tourist visa application to the O-A visa.

Am I missing some work around ?

Maybe your embassy is different but on the London thai embassy website it asks for flight confirmation on tourist visa and O-A visa. 
The work around I suppose would be to pay extra and book a flexible date ticket.

21 minutes ago, Hmunker said:

Maybe your embassy is different but on the London thai embassy website it asks for flight confirmation on tourist visa and O-A visa. 

As I wrote before a ticket to here is needed to apply for the certificate of entry.

I think you will find only a ticket to Thailand is needed for the OA visa application. A ticket out of the country is a standard requirement for a tourist visa.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A ticket out of the country is a standard requirement for a tourist visa.

Yes Joe for the last 8 years I’ve always entered on a tourist visa and left after about 7 weeks in line with my return date on flight ticket.I’ve thought sometimes of getting 30 day extension but never done it.

My question  would be.What if I have a return flight in 80 days time.Enter on a 60 day tourist visa.Does the I/O passport control at airport question this?.Obviously my answer is going to get extension.Will they be ok with this?

36 minutes ago, Hmunker said:

My question  would be.What if I have a return flight in 80 days time.Enter on a 60 day tourist visa.Does the I/O passport control at airport question this?.Obviously my answer is going to get extension.Will they be ok with this?

Airport immigration does not normally ask to see a ticket out of the country when you enter the country using a visa. I think it will be the same now. Be sure you covid 19 insurance is valid for at at least 80 (90 days is standard) days.

• Like 1