'Why has Thailand not got the praise it deserves for containing Covd-19?'

webfact

18 hours ago, DavisH said:

Because at least one symptomatic patient would be turning up to hospital and testing positive. Mass testing of the population is worthless when no symtomatic patients are presenting to clinics or hospitals. Show me ONE country that does mass testing that has no covid cases. There are none. 

What does is accomplished by testing healthy people? When was the last time you were feeling fine and thought, "hummm... wonder if I have the flu? I think I'll go get tested." 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 12:42 PM, Dmaxdan said:

The government and the Thai people have been excellent with regards to Covid. Anyone who believes otherwise is just jealous because of their own country's incompetence. 

Next you will be telling us they need Submarines too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hockeybik said:

What does is accomplished by testing healthy people? When was the last time you were feeling fine and thought, "hummm... wonder if I have the flu? I think I'll go get tested." 

Maybe you should drill a hole in your thick skull, to let the message go through: We are not talking about the FLU.

• Sad 1

Actually Thailand has received lots of praise for its handling of the pandemic. I have seen numerous mentions of it in various media, both print and television. Thailand was also given special recognition in an online conference held by Stanford University Graduate School of Business (my alma mater).

What I have seen and read has noted that Thailand's success can be attributed to, inter alia:

-almost ubiquitous mask wearing, required on public transport, in shopping venues and offices

-monitoring of temperature of individuals entering any venue

-contact tracing via online apps or recording of mobile phones, should the need arise to contact

-social distancing in many venues, particularly early on in the pandemic

-curfew and nightly lockdown back in April, plus closure of venues where social distancing was not possible (restaurants, bars, even malls)

-quarantine of all entering the Kingdom

It has become common for experts interviewed on TV in the US to roll out "South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand & New Zealand" as examples of nations who have been most effective in addressing the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: ......it's hasn't been a significant problem in any hot countries.....

I suppose India annd Brazil are cold countries?

Big difference as Brazilians have no personal distance, kissing and  hugging anyone. India has no personal space due to poverty. 

Several points

1. Does anyone really believe the "official" figures.  If you look at China a nation of almost 5 times that of the USA it has only a fraction of the Covid infections and that is despite having some of the most densely populated cities on the planet.

2. Does anyone really think that if a local Thai was experiencing some symptoms of Covid they would go to a hospital to get tested.  They would not spend the money, and certainly would not want to be quarantined for an indefinite period of time.  Unless they were absolutely critical, I doubt many Thais would seek treatment.

3. Thailand and numerous other hot humid countries with younger populations also have low reported Covid rates.  So is it something that those countries "did" or is it more likely that whatever low incidence of Covid exists is due to the countries climate and younger median age.  If strict quarantines, lock downs, and masks were effective countries like Belgium, the UK, France, Italy, Spain and Portugal would have very low Covid rates.  They don't  And, Thailand did not do anything different than those countries. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Actually Thailand has received lots of praise for its handling of the pandemic. I have seen numerous mentions of it in various media, both print and television. Thailand was also given special recognition in an online conference held by Stanford University Graduate School of Business (my alma mater).

What I have seen and read has noted that Thailand's success can be attributed to, inter alia:

-almost ubiquitous mask wearing, required on public transport, in shopping venues and offices

-monitoring of temperature of individuals entering any venue

-contact tracing via online apps or recording of mobile phones, should the need arise to contact

-social distancing in many venues, particularly early on in the pandemic

-curfew and nightly lockdown back in April, plus closure of venues where social distancing was not possible (restaurants, bars, even malls)

-quarantine of all entering the Kingdom

It has become common for experts interviewed on TV in the US to roll out "South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand & New Zealand" as examples of nations who have been most effective in addressing the pandemic.

Thais were social distancing from the get go without being asked.

The two really significant factors were  quarantining the kingdom and early lockdown. Masks are a minor factor really.

Yes I agree that Thailand has already received lots of words of praise from lots of

other less fortunate countries. The government official, only wanted his praise to be

in a big envelope, and that is the reason for his complaint of sorts.  Most of us doubt that

the case numbers are as low as it is being shown, but Thailand is not alone in doing that.

The USA has had more people who have likely died from the covid virus as well,  but with

all that is going on in that country, the extra numbers would just be that much more and not 

add much to the ratio of their big population. When you have 350 thousand being only

1 percent of your population it sounds trivial, unless of course if any of the 1 percent were

your friends or relatives.  We will all be a bit relieved when there is a vaccine that has been

distributed and is helping, but if you are older or have other illnesses, you do not EVER

want to get this covid 19 virus, or you could die, this year, next year or anytime in the future.

Geezer

why not? me and my friends start each and every dinner with some words of praise for how

incredible was thailand victory over covid - 19.

acctually, we even consider to donate and finance a new victory monument in bangkok,

the victory over corona monument.

we allready started with some drawings and it is looking good.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, oldhippy said:

How stupid can an opinion possibly get?

QUOTE: ......it's hasn't been a significant problem in any hot countries.....

I suppose India annd Brazil are cold countries?

India and Brazil are huge countries covering various latitudes. The South of Brazil and the North of India are some distance away from the equator, and have much cooler weather than SE Asia.

Jammu in India will be 9 degrees C tonight, for example. The weather in Rio averages at least 5 degrees less than Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A conspiracy troll post and replies have been removed:

Please also take note of the following which is pinned at the head of the covid-19 forum

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.   

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

Thank you for your co-operation.