'Why has Thailand not got the praise it deserves for containing Covd-19?'

webfact

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The hospitals would be full, like in the Western countries but they aren't.

Here in Denmark, we opened almost fully up by September. 11 weeks ago. And still we only have 267 people hospitalised with covid. We are six million people in this country. Would you call that "full"?

https://www.sst.dk/en/English/Corona-eng/Status-of-the-epidemic/COVID-19-updates-Statistics-and-charts

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

It is intriguing for some countries why Thailand has not got the praise it deserves for effectively containing the Covid-19 pandemic, Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said in an interview.

I'm just surpised that anyone needs to ask that question.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

Here in Denmark, we opened almost fully up by September. 11 weeks ago. And still we only have 267 people hospitalised with covid. We are six million people in this country. Would you call that "full"?

https://www.sst.dk/en/English/Corona-eng/Status-of-the-epidemic/COVID-19-updates-Statistics-and-charts

Yeah but nobody visits Denmark.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

They see a usurpation [of power],” he said, in a veiled reference to the anti-government street protests.

I take it he is referring to the current ' government ' and not those demonstrating against it who have yet to usurp anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

Oh that's nice.

I want to go to Denmark right now like I want to go to Greenland.  

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

How do you know its not circulating when you don't test anyone. It is simple science.

Simple science is looking at hospitals, are they overburdened with Covid-19 patients like countries with out-of-control outbreak?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

And you are right now closing the country down again in panic – and also killing all minks without proper scientific documentation – due to testing a high level of the population, and thereby having a high number of Covid-19 positives, but in reality not sick people. Status for Denmark today – November 17th – is 13,871 active cases, and 44 serious critical cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Simple science is looking at hospitals, are they overburdened with Covid-19 patients like countries with out-of-control outbreak?

Using that as conclusive evidence is just guessing and not science I'm afraid. Hospitals wouldn't need to be overburdened, just the odd case here and there. My town in UK has cases, as all do, but the hospitals are quieter than ever as people with other ailments typically do not want to risk going there, while routine operations are called off at this time. There are not people dying in corridors as some people would picture and beds are aplenty.

Don't believe it is a problem there, with Thais, and Asians in general, more likely not showing symptoms as readily. While those too sick to travel would likely have died at home and then barbecued before any testing is done. Not to get all conspiracist, but let's not forget that strange viral pneumonia going around late last year. Also, as other countries who harp on about low numbers, they are fortunate to have not had a big hit initially as Thailand is not a major global hub. With a proper dose of it, the health services would not cope. Reason for draconian measures on entry since they know this. 

At the end of the day, the Thai gov is not known for its ethics and are experts at making things look as they would like. Folk would be better served remaining skeptical of whatever they put out, lest they come across as a little bit simple and gullible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I'm sorry; did I say I was pretending to write something? Terrible manners, Trujillo!

I don't know the link the critic is mentioning but here is the link to my previous post, with a lot of other topics: 

Why-covid-19-testing-is-a-tragic-waste/

Well, when you copy and paste text from another author on a forum, it's conventional to reveal this information, so that we don't assume that you wrote it yourself.

I might not agree with the man who wrote the article, but it's interesting to be able to read the whole thing and make up my own mind. Thanks. ????

3 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

Denmark does more tests per capita than any other European country, which is impressive.

Of course, this also increases the number of covid cases that Denmark reports compared to other countries. If you did the same number of tests as Thailand per capita, you'd only be reporting 10 cases of covid a day ????

• Like 1

I don’t understand why Covid testing is the mark of good management. That is simply part of a narrative that also requires masks, hand washing and social distancing.  Time and time again people who tested negative are later tested positive. Testing is just a point in time event.  It is not predictive of infection rates.  The real test of infection or circulation rates is not an isolated test. It is hospitalisation and death rates. 

Edited by Mayhem11
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Mayhem11 said:

I don’t understand why Covid testing is the mark of good management. That is simply part of a narrative that also requires masks, hand washing and social distancing.  Time and time again people who tested negative are later tested positive. Testing is just a point in time event.  It is not predictive of infection rates.  The real test of infection or circulation rates is not an isolated test. It is hospitalisation and death rates. 

Yes, care homes for old people should just stop using masks and other PPE. Also hand washing should be stopped in care homes. Weekly testing of staff is pointless - infected staff should be free to infect and kill the old people.

The same goes for hospitals. All doctors, nurses and surgeons should stop wearing masks and washing hands. I don't know why surgeons have worn masks for the last 100 years. It must have been a conspiracy ????

This post was brought to you by Sarcasm ...

Edited by nkg
  • Sad 1

In 1867, the British surgeon Joseph Lister postulated that wound disease was caused by the germs of the microscopically small living entities that Louis Pasteur had recently described. Lister suggested eliminating germs through the use of antiseptic substances. But in the 1880s, a new generation of surgeons devised the strategy of asepsis that aimed to stop germs from entering wounds in the first place.

This was a risky strategy. Hands, instruments, even the operator's exhalations were suspect now. Johann Mikulicz, head of the surgery department of the University of Breslau (now Wroclaw, Poland) started working with the local bacteriologist Carl Flügge, who had shown experimentally that respiratory droplets carried culturable bacteria. In response to these findings, Mikulicz started to wear a face mask in 1897, which he described as “a piece of gauze tied by two strings to the cap, and sweeping across the face so as to cover the nose and mouth and beard”. In Paris, the surgeon Paul Berger also began wearing a mask in the operating room the same year.

The face mask stood for a strategy of infection control that focused on keeping all germs away, as opposed to killing them with chemicals. Such a narrowly targeted strategy was not uncontroversial. The physician Alexander Fraenkel in Berlin, for example, was sceptical about the “whole surgical costume with a bonnet, mouth mask and veil, devised under the slogan of total wound sterility”. However, masks became increasingly widespread. A study of more than 1000 photographs of surgeons in operating rooms in US and European hospitals between 1863 and 1969 indicated that by 1923 over two-thirds of them wore masks and by 1935 most of them were using masks.

Left-wing propaganda from "The Lancet". We can see that even 100 years ago, charlatans like Louis Pasteur were involved in the beginning of "The Great Reset", programming people's minds so that they accepted being controlled by wearing masks.

Yes, with all the anti-mask anti-vax lunatics around, I probably need to point out that I'm being sarcastic ...

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31207-1/fulltext

4 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

So Denmark did a good job, not like there neighbors. Still losing out compared to Thailand , we have things opened way longer.

• Haha 1

Thailand has been praised by the UN and WHO.

Several countries allow travel from Thailand because of its successful record of very low community covid-19 infection, hospitalization and deaths.

So I'm not sure what Thailand is expecting; some cash rewards for Thai government officials that seems traditional in Thailand? 

• Like 2

As with their elections and school test scores, you simply can't buy Thailand's numbers.

As been said, there's hardly any Covid testing being done. Look at the throngs of people now in the malls. No more social distancing. Masks are starting to come off. In my school and others students are definitely neglecting them, and nobody cares. I've seen and occasionally felt a few flu like symptoms myself, as have others. There's definitely a lot more Covid out there than is reported.

• Like 2