Experience living in Kata Village

squiggly

Anyone have any first hand experience living in Kata Village? Interested in things like condo availability/cost (in normal times), is the lifestyle dominated by the tourist trade or are the set-back areas a bit more normal, anything else worth mentioning. Also over the hill in Chalong which is a short trip back to Kata (don't ask me why, I just fell in love with Kata a few years ago). Thanks ????

A post in which the quoted content had been intentionally altered has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, squiggly said:

@stevenl is Chalong nice to live and is there convenient options to get over the hill if you don't ride a motorbike?

I think Rawai is much nicer, others may disagree with me. But Rawai or Chalong, to get around you need transportation, the only public direct connections are kata-karon-chalong-phuket town and rawai-chalong-phuket town. And daytime only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squiggly said:

@stevenl is Chalong nice to live and is there convenient options to get over the hill if you don't ride a motorbike?

You can catch the local bus during day light hours. Usually every half hour but right now less frequent.

There are plenty condo options but you choice more limited if you have no mbike. You limited to along the beachside = more expensive.  Kata is a very tourist dependent area and usually has plenty eateries and shop. Right now mostly closed up. 

I like Kata as there are 3 beautiful beaches almost within walking range. 

I also lived in Kata for a number of years.

1987 I lived there and it was still a village with three great beaches right there.

Bought a place in Kata in 92, so went back again from Patong and lived there until 98 when I sold the property.

Decided to buy some land in Kata and then have a house built. The land was either in the hot, disused paddy-fields, or, half way up a steep hill-side. Asking prices per Rai were ridiculous. Moved over to Chalong because the land prices were a quarter of what was being asked for in Kata - Karon.

Here are some of the things I noticed when living in Kata.

Drinks at bars were expensive. On par with Patong and sometimes more. The price for a drink in Kata at a bar-beer with a solitary over-weight girl was the same as a humming A-go-go in Patong.

There was never one bar that really stood out, then, or today. The exception was Club 44 which is the place everyone went to when the bars closed. Closed in the early 90's so doesn't count.

There were never that many Expat residents. As Patong business owners usually lived in Kathu to save costs, Kata - Karon business owners used Chalong.

Today, I wouldn't live there. The village feeling has gone and they are too dependent on international tourists. I would now choose Rawai. A few small, hidden beaches that are swimmable, great views of the islands, businesses generally open with a firm residential base. Of course, if you're still under 65 years old, you're not just a "hansum man", but a "young hansum man".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, squiggly said:

Thanks. I take it Songthaew are not as readily available in Rawai/Charong as in the more touristy areas? Rawai also seems close to Kata (parts of it I guess).

About 9 years ago I researched the Kata/Karon area to buy, but found it to be very expensive. I ended up buying in Chalong. I would now choose Rawai if I were to move again. Plenty of vacant condos there at the moment because of a building boom in recent years. No doubt many bargains to be had.

It's difficult to live on Phuket without your own vehicle because of the very bad and expensive public transport. However, there is a cheap Smart Bus service that operates from a terminus in Rawai and goes through the western beaches to the airport. I believe it is starting again after a covid shutdown. (See the separate thread).

• Like 1

@katatonic thanks that is a heartening story. I am years away from making a move, but as it will be a one-way move I think it will take years to plan anyway. I hope Kata is still affordable and nice when I decide to go, but Chalong/Rawai seem like good alternatives. I think I will need to learn to ride a m'bike before I leave, even if I don't do it often, seems like an essential ability there regardless.

Kata need not nbe much more expensive than Rawai or Chalong. There are plenty of bungalows around for around 10,000 baht a month and at the moment it's a buyers market and you can find more modern condos for a very good price as well.

It's true but sad that many restaurants are currently closed but many of the open ones are those that cater more to locals so are cheaper, including the Phad Thai shop, prossibly the best Phad Thai in Phuket.

Transport is useful as many of the places to live are in the hills but I know a couple of long term stayers who manage without a car or bike.

• Like 1